Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: I just don't brew that much  (Read 4986 times)

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
I just don't brew that much
« on: May 03, 2020, 09:18:27 pm »
I see some people here and there, saying they brew up 20 litre plus batches twice a month. i know that isn't everyone, but i've seen so many.

i brew to save money on good beer, so making as many brews as possible on my current equipment increases the value point of the whole operation, but i really only make about 6 to 8 five gallon batches max a year.

if i made 8 five-gallon batches that would end up with about 144 litres of beer, final result, 288 500ml bottles.

I guess I end up buying maybe 75% of that volume in beer from the store as additional beer. No one else drinks my homebrew either.

How often do you brew?

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
I just don't brew that much
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2020, 05:30:01 am »
I rarely buy commercial beer to take home. I produce my own. I generally brew a 5 gal batch every 3 weeks or so which is ~30 pints (20 oz). I drink 2-3 pints some evenings. Don’t drink at all other evenings.  Friends and family consume some as well.

I like to try to brew for the occasion though I miscalculate sometimes. 2x Bock as a Christmas Ale, Scottish Ale for New Years, MyBock for May, something light and refreshing for Independence Day, Brown Ale or Stout each Halloween for my Steak and Ale Chili, and so on...

I don’t think I’m saving money to brew my own but I enjoy the act of taking raw materials and transforming them into a finished product much like baking bread or pizza, charcuterie, cooking or BBQ.  I enjoy drinking a good pint I made. 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 06:30:09 am by BrewBama »

Offline ynotbrusum

Re: I just don't brew that much
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2020, 05:49:21 am »
I brew based on demand, mostly lagers, but some select ales.  But I really enjoy brewing.  It probably works out to every other weekend, but when brewing for parties or special occasions, I have brewed as much as two ten gallon batches on a weekend.  I like winter brewing because I can store kegs in the garage and stockpile some, but the wintertime process has to consider chilling water collection and disposal (buckets) which can be a pain.

I give away a lot of beer and my house is a hub of neighborhood gatherings - so I have no problem finding a good number of eager samplers.  Some reward me with a sack of grain from time to time, which is nice, but I do it for fun.

Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Silver_Is_Money

• Brewer
  • Developer of 'Mash Made Easy'
    • Mash Made Easy, MashRite, LLC
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2020, 05:56:39 am »

i brew to save money on good beer, so making as many brews as possible on my current equipment increases the value point of the whole operation, but i really only make about 6 to 8 five gallon batches max a year.

How often do you brew?

I'm brewing at about your frequency or even a tad less per year, but I'm brewing batches that yield 6 gallons in the end.  ~64-65 x 12 ounce bottles capped is the norm for me.  I'm retired, and for the most part I'm the only consumer of my product, and I just don't drink that much vs. my younger days.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 05:59:09 am by Silver_Is_Money »

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2020, 06:32:28 am »
I rarely buy commercial beer to take home. I produce my own. I generally brew a 5 gal batch every 3 weeks or so which is ~30 pints (20 oz). I drink 2-3 pints some evenings. Don’t drink at all other evenings.  Friends and family consume some as well.

I don’t think I’m saving money to brew my own but I enjoy the act of taking raw materials and transforming them into a finished product much like baking bread or pizza, charcuterie, cooking or BBQ.  I enjoy drinking a good pint I made. 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

^^^^^^
I could not have said it better myself.  I’m a retired pipefitter who spent his career in construction.  In construction, like in my brewery or in my kitchen, I find joy in taking ingredients or materials that are meaningless by themselves and assemble them in such a way that is meaningful, useful, tasty and brings happiness to others.

I spend an average of 40 hours per week in my kitchen and I brew about every 6 weeks.  The only time I buy craft beer is when I’m trying to understand a particular style to help me formulate a recipe.

Regarding cost, my wife reminds me regularly that brewing does not save money over buying commercial beer.  Oh well...  ;)
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

TXFlyGuy

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2020, 06:41:34 am »
Perhaps we are an exception, but right now Bel Air Brewing is producing 30 gallons / month. And that is all for private consumption by the share holders in the brewery. That figure may change up or down as the summer rolls on.

As far as cost goes, one owner joked that it is only $27 per pint, factoring in equipment costs. I think he underestimated by a large margin!
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 06:44:09 am by Bel Air Brewing »

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2020, 07:22:38 am »
Perhaps we are an exception, but right now Bel Air Brewing is producing 30 gallons / month. And that is all for private consumption by the share holders in the brewery. That figure may change up or down as the summer rolls on.

As far as cost goes, one owner joked that it is only $27 per pint, factoring in equipment costs. I think he underestimated by a large margin!

How do I purchase shares?
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2020, 07:45:07 am »
But I really enjoy brewing.

+1

For me, that's it in a nutshell.  I brew when time allows and kegs get empty.  But I enjoy the process every bit as much as the beer itself.

Offline Copymutt

• 1st Kit
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2020, 07:46:07 am »
I think of brewing as the equivalent to cooking from scratch. You can buy your processed meals, designer foods as well as micro brews and mass market swills.
Homebrew has the creativity to explore and the pride of presentation common to all participants.
I try to keep 3 beers on tap. No set brew schedule. Depends on guests.  I’ll jump on a new interesting recipe at the drop of a hat. Next level for me will be converting a small chest freezer to a lagering vault so lagers can be year round.
Jim

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2020, 07:47:07 am »
I normally brew about twice a month.  The beers that go fast here, like my Saison, Irish Red, ESB, and Amarillo IPA are brewed in 11 gallon batches, as well as some that I age for periods of time (R.I.S., Barleywine).  Others like new trials and are 5.5 gallons.

Because of the pandemic and the stay-at-home orders, I have brewed a lot more recently and have 7 on tap (I had 8 but my Tripel kicked last night).  Yeah that is a lot of beer for two people, but we also have thirsty neighbors and share with them as well.  We really don't buy much in the way of commercial beer (unless we run out of IPA, my wife's favorite), want to try something that is new out there,  or grab a crowler or two from the local brewery here to support them during the pandemic.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2020, 08:05:42 am »
I brew about 12-15 batches a year, but centered around holidays and family gatherings. I brew 5 gallon batches (sometimes spit into 2.5 gallon batches). My club pours at two event annually, and I usually donate 1-2 kegs to each event. It's probably 75/25 homebrew to commercial. I can't get enough IPA, and I'm not going to brew/drink 5 gallons of sour myself.

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2020, 09:27:47 am »
   I average about 50 batches @ year, normally 7 to 71/2 gallons bottled unless it's some kind of an exbeeriment, in which case it might be as small as 2 or so gallon batches.
   I brew so I can have good beer to drink, and also because I enjoy brewing, even though brew day is a major workout. At this point I have no doubt that my homebrew is much cheaper than store bought, even factoring in the cost of equipment, but I've brewed >7,000 bottles of beer in the past few years, it takes a while for equipment to pay for itself.
   I drink my homebrew almost exclusively not so much because of the cost of commercial beer, but more because I simply prefer my beer - I can't find anything for sale locally that is anything like what I brew and I brew to my taste preferences. Living here in BFE we don't have a very wide selection available to buy, but even when I've travelled to "civilization" I haven't found much if anything that I enjoyed as much as my own beer. I was away from home and spent 3 months in a very active craft beer community a couple years ago and it didn't take very long before I got very homesick for my homebrew, even though the selection of commercial craft beer was vast, it really sucked not being able to have my kind of beer.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 09:33:30 am by Visor »
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2020, 11:42:15 am »
I'll be kegging brewing my 9th (5 gallon into the keg) batch today and brewing my 10th tomorrow. I average 20 to 25 batches, or 100 to 125 gallons, per year. That's 800 to 1.000 pints. While my wife drinks an occasional pint, as does our youngest daughter when she visits, I consume most of it myself. Even at 500 pints/year, that's less than 3 pints/day, so not nearly as much as it sounds like. I keep telling my wife that :)
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

TXFlyGuy

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2020, 11:48:57 am »

Shares are allocated based on man hours of labor in brewing, plus financial contributions in the brewing equipment! We would welcome your help!

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2020, 11:57:20 am »

Shares are allocated based on man hours of labor in brewing, plus financial contributions in the brewing equipment! We would welcome your help!

Sounds great. Do you have a taproom? How are you distributing beer? Maybe I could fly out in the future to see you facilities.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale