Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: I just don't brew that much  (Read 4990 times)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: I just don't brew that much
« Reply #45 on: May 09, 2020, 08:32:39 pm »
I think I enjoy brewing beer more than I enjoy drinking it. I'm finally getting back to brewing after a few years of not getting to do much of it, but at my peak I would brew 2 or 3 times a month even though I'd only have maybe 4 or 5 beers a week. I moved to smaller batch sizes, and moving to kegs made it simpler to dump a batch when I was ready to move on to the next. There's no right way to do it - it's a hobby, whatever makes it enjoyable for you is how you should do it!
Eric!!
How are you?
Just been back here myself after a long hiatus.
Good to be back :)

Easing myself back into brewing after a few years off. Trying to make sure brewing stays part of my "new normal".

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #46 on: May 10, 2020, 05:46:38 am »
I think I enjoy brewing beer more than I enjoy drinking it. I'm finally getting back to brewing after a few years of not getting to do much of it, but at my peak I would brew 2 or 3 times a month even though I'd only have maybe 4 or 5 beers a week. I moved to smaller batch sizes, and moving to kegs made it simpler to dump a batch when I was ready to move on to the next. There's no right way to do it - it's a hobby, whatever makes it enjoyable for you is how you should do it!
Eric!!
How are you?
Just been back here myself after a long hiatus.
Good to be back :)

Easing myself back into brewing after a few years off. Trying to make sure brewing stays part of my "new normal".

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
I have been still getting some mead and cider done the last couple years but because I have been so busy with other things on our land and house I am just trying to get back into beer brewing. I have lamented here a few times about the difficulty in not having a dedicated brewing space which basically takes brewing beer from using up half a day to not really being able to do much of anything else that day.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline mdyer909

• Cellarman
« Reply #47 on: May 10, 2020, 03:07:57 pm »
I think I do 5-6 five gallon brews a year.  When I started extract brewing in the 80’s it was because I had been to Germany and England in 1984 and had real beer for the first time.  Back then, in my neck of woods anyway, the only thing other than yellow beer that was available was Guinness and Ballantine Ale.  I took a hiatus in the 90’s as a lot of good beer started to become available.  By the Aughts, I had enough geld to get into all grain, and room to maneuver.  Like a lot of folks on this board, I brew for fun and accomplishment.  We make sauerkraut and sausage, have a big garden and can and freeze, forage for wild edibles etc. so brewing fits right in. 

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #48 on: May 11, 2020, 10:42:47 pm »
Nice, it's surprising how in so many places in the world even in 2020, it is very hard to get good beer. In japan, you can make up for it with varieties of sake and shochu, but beer styles are comparitively limited.

I think most people here, do also have that mindset of making their own things at a base level.

Cold, then hot smoked some fish for the first time ever today.

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #49 on: May 14, 2020, 07:17:01 am »
Ya know, after 22 years I've never analyzed cost.
This ^^^^^  I'm glad I haven't either.  I have too many things in life to worry about, homebrewing cost isn't one of them. 
Jeff B

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #50 on: May 14, 2020, 07:27:04 am »
I brew 8-10 batches probably. I never keep track of the number of brews I've made.   I tend to brew 12-20 gallon batches.  I just finished putting back together my 5 gallon setup.  I'd brew more often if I had an indoor space to brew.  I can see the attraction for a Grainfather or the like.  I love that you can wakeup to hot strike water and being ready to go.  I need to buy a canopy so I can brew on schedule.  All the rain is a total PIA!! Canopy, how much does that cost?  Dang, I'll add that to my total
Jeff B

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #51 on: May 14, 2020, 05:11:13 pm »
This ^^^^^  I'm glad I haven't either.  I have too many things in life to worry about, homebrewing cost isn't one of them.

Lol, i know that people will get upset that I am disagreeing with this. but wow, i find it very odd that people here in general seem more than uninterested in cost, but actively against "worrying" about it.

I know people have already replied, but are all of you americans?

American homebrew supply prices are and have always been much cheaper than in canada for one, as well buying actual alcohol at the store is cheaper there. Maybe this is it?? I mean in Germany, AFAIK, homebrew had a hard time making inroads because of the mountains of great beer for relatively cheap prices.

When I first started homebrewing here in Canada, I remember hops being pretty expensive, like $4 an oz with very limited choices, maybe 6 to 8 varieties, including cluster. Grain was also at least 3 dollars per pound for all types. I was also just out of university at that time, so not rich by any means like I am now and just got used to calculating cost to maximize bang per buck.

I find it almost hard to believe that you never did a cost break down? Is it because it is and has been that cheap since you started brewing?

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #52 on: May 14, 2020, 11:53:09 pm »
Is it because it is and has been that cheap since you started brewing?

I would suspect in part that and our lower beer/booze prices. But for me, it's also been the idea of comparing my cost to other hobbies I've been involved in - other than weightlifting, there hasn't been a single hobby I've been involved in that's been as cheap (unless you count the medical expenses from ripping my left shoulder apart multiple times)
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #53 on: May 15, 2020, 07:00:01 am »

I would suspect in part that and our lower beer/booze prices. But for me, it's also been the idea of comparing my cost to other hobbies I've been involved in - other than weightlifting, there hasn't been a single hobby I've been involved in that's been as cheap (unless you count the medical expenses from ripping my left shoulder apart multiple times)
Yes, I like the idea of comparing the cost of the hobbies I have. It'd be difficult to do at this point for me. I've been playing drums for close to 25 years, have had the same 2 drum sets (electronic and acoustic) for close to 20 of those years. Those sets of drums were top of the line back in 2001. Now? Not so much, but they're still functional and in good shape. Much like brewing, music can (and is for many) and ongoing investment/expense. For drumming, I haven't put a lot more into it for many years because I had acquired everything I needed/wanted. Brewing has definitely been a much more expensive hobby than drumming for me. But, I don't really think about it too much because it's a hobby. We make money to live and to do the things we love. Otherwise, I'd have a stockpile of money in the bank right now if I didn't brew. But how boring would that be?  ;D
Jesse

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #54 on: May 15, 2020, 08:22:20 am »

Lol, i know that people will get upset that I am disagreeing with this. but wow, i find it very odd that people here in general seem more than uninterested in cost, but actively against "worrying" about it.

I know people have already replied, but are all of you americans?

American homebrew supply prices are and have always been much cheaper than in canada for one, as well buying actual alcohol at the store is cheaper there. Maybe this is it?? I mean in Germany, AFAIK, homebrew had a hard time making inroads because of the mountains of great beer for relatively cheap prices.

When I first started homebrewing here in Canada, I remember hops being pretty expensive, like $4 an oz with very limited choices, maybe 6 to 8 varieties, including cluster. Grain was also at least 3 dollars per pound for all types. I was also just out of university at that time, so not rich by any means like I am now and just got used to calculating cost to maximize bang per buck.

I find it almost hard to believe that you never did a cost break down? Is it because it is and has been that cheap since you started brewing?

Actively against?  Not me.  But cost has never been a consideration other than "can I afford to buy something or not?".  Its a hobby.  The expense is discretionary.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #55 on: May 15, 2020, 08:29:43 am »
Brewing beer is cheaper than buying beer for me so that’s the only thing that matters when it comes to cost.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #56 on: May 15, 2020, 12:43:43 pm »
I try not to worry about costs on my hobbies.  If I can stand to write the check, then it's cheap enough.

Like Iliff said it's a hobby, not a business. 
Brewing cost nothing compared to wood working most days.  :D

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline Big_Eight

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #57 on: May 15, 2020, 02:12:52 pm »
It really depends on how you want approach your hobby. If you choose to do it as cheaply as possible and that satisfies you can then great. If you choose to just do the hobby and get all of those cool gadgets then that's great too. It's really about what each individual wants out if it and that's ok. Brew on and have fun.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Offline letscook

• 1st Kit
  • Amateur brewer, always looking to learn more!
« Reply #58 on: May 16, 2020, 12:34:07 am »
I homebrew because:

[   ] It's cheaper than buying from a store
[   ] The beer is generally higher quality than from a store
[ x ] I like cleaning things.

All jokes aside, most people brew because they enjoy the process and the hobby. Something about the stainless, the setup, constantly improving your process, and the constant learning really strikes a cord with me.  If you think about it, fishing or hunting is pretty much the same - By the time you buy a boat, your gear, your time, a pound of salmon is like $2000/lbs :P  Sure you can shore fish, just like you can brew in pails with a $150 brew kit, and if that's your reason for brewing, then have at it!  The great thing about this hobby is that it means so many things to different people. And you DO NOT need deep pockets to get started or make stuff that's drinkable. However, if you have some deep pockets, this hobby can get expensive, REAL FAST.

Personally, I brew anywhere from 5 to 10 gallon batches.  The sweet spot is around 8-10 gallons because my unitank's chiller stops around the 5.5 gallon mark.  If I want to carb under pressure I need the chiller to contact the wort.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2020, 12:43:27 am by letscook »
13 Gallon Jacketed Kettle (3200W)
14 Gallon SS Brewtech Unitank

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #59 on: May 16, 2020, 07:12:42 pm »

Homebrewing or weightlifting? Those sacks of grain get to you.

On the cost, I generally don't think about it, but it's fun to think about. It's a hobby, I don't include my time, and I generally don't worry about it. It is fun to think about (especially when people talk about $100/gallons of beer!).