Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Beer Movies?  (Read 1695 times)

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
Re: Beer Movies?
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2020, 02:58:59 pm »
If we're talking online stuff, Beer Amongst the Belgians was a good one. It was meant to be a series, but it was never picked up:

There was also the Jamie Oliver show where he did the Belgium vs. UK beer thing. It wasn't necessarily a great show, but it's Belgium and I know the American judge pretty well:
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xwy9el
I watched that Jamie Oliver show this morning.  Thank you.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline Copymutt

• 1st Kit
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2020, 05:45:29 pm »
Help me out here. Not a movie, but a historical disaster. I’m thinking maybe New England in say the 1700’s early 1800’s. A huge brewery tank collapsed and flooded the town. Could be an interesting short.
Jim

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2020, 11:03:20 pm »
Help me out here. Not a movie, but a historical disaster. I’m thinking maybe New England in say the 1700’s early 1800’s. A huge brewery tank collapsed and flooded the town. Could be an interesting short.

You're probably thinking of the Great Molasses Flood of Boston 1919, which is both terrible and fascinating
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2020, 05:11:33 am »

You're probably thinking of the Great Molasses Flood of Boston 1919, which is both terrible and fascinating
Or maybe the London Beer Flood of 1814, when a vat of porter burst.
"On the afternoon of October 17th 1814 one of the iron rings around the tank snapped. About an hour later the whole tank ruptured, releasing the hot fermenting ale with such force that the back wall of the brewery collapsed. The force also blasted open several more vats, adding their contents to the flood which now burst forth onto the street. More than 320,000 gallons of beer were released into the area. This was St Giles Rookery, a densely populated London slum of cheap housing and tenements inhabited by the poor, the destitute, prostitutes and criminals.

The flood reached George Street and New Street within minutes, swamping them with a tide of alcohol. The 15 foot high wave of beer and debris inundated the basements of two houses, causing them to collapse. In one of the houses, Mary Banfield and her daughter Hannah were taking tea when the flood hit; both were killed."
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2020, 12:34:31 pm »

"On the afternoon of October 17th 1814 one of the iron rings around the tank snapped. About an hour later the whole tank ruptured, releasing the hot fermenting ale with such force that the back wall of the brewery collapsed. The force also blasted open several more vats, adding their contents to the flood which now burst forth onto the street. More than 320,000 gallons of beer were released into the area. This was St Giles Rookery, a densely populated London slum of cheap housing and tenements inhabited by the poor, the destitute, prostitutes and criminals.

The flood reached George Street and New Street within minutes, swamping them with a tide of alcohol. The 15 foot high wave of beer and debris inundated the basements of two houses, causing them to collapse. In one of the houses, Mary Banfield and her daughter Hannah were taking tea when the flood hit; both were killed."
Interesting.  I can't help but try to put "hot" and "fermenting" into context.  Was the beer fermenting?  Was it done?  Was it actually wort that was boiling?  Not trying to pick the story apart as much as I'm trying to understand what actually spilled out. 
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Online hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2020, 03:28:01 pm »

Interesting.  I can't help but try to put "hot" and "fermenting" into context.  Was the beer fermenting?  Was it done?  Was it actually wort that was boiling?  Not trying to pick the story apart as much as I'm trying to understand what actually spilled out.

Not boiling, not fermenting, it was just aging in the large bags for a year or so. There flavors changed to something desireable in that time. There is an explanation down the article.
http://zythophile.co.uk/2014/10/17/remembering-the-victims-of-the-great-london-beer-flood-200-years-ago-today/
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!