Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Beer Movies?  (Read 1694 times)

Offline Nick Wojcik

• 1st Kit
Beer Movies?
« on: May 11, 2020, 07:21:53 pm »
Is anyone aware of any movies/ shows/ documentaries that are related to the brewing process? Whether it's Netflix/ Hulu, or something purchased I'm just looking for something to sit and watch on the couch after a long day of work!

Offline TANSTAAFB

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Beer Movies?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2020, 07:36:01 pm »
I loved Brew Dogs but don't see  options that aren't pay by the episode. They pulled off some crazy brews!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Offline Big_Eight

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2020, 09:16:00 pm »
I am reminded of a great movie comedy.

'Strange Brew'

I recommend you watch it in 3B!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Offline TANSTAAFB

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2020, 09:25:04 pm »
Quite possibly one of the greatest films ever made!

Offline theoman

• Brewmaster
  • Outskirts of Brussels, Belgium
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2020, 02:59:51 am »
+1 for Strange Brew.
Beerfest was kinda fun.

Offline Northern_Brewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • British - apparently some US company stole my name
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2020, 04:50:58 am »
Not explicitly about brewing, but The A Word from the BBC has a major subplot about a family taking over a microbrewery in the Lake District. Given that it's been well-received and is current (3rd series just started) I imagine it will be available on a US platform.

Oz & James Drink To Britain (apparently renamed to James May Drinks to Britain in the US) is a pleasant enough travelogue/pub crawl/documentary where they visit various drink producers (beer features in most episodes somewhere), submit some homebrew to a competition and so on. It's kind of a Top Gear for drinking (so as more about the presenters than cars/drink) but it's engaging enough, I personally preferred the predecessor Oz & James's Big Wine Adventure which was going round French vineyards.

There's lots of British TV set in pubs (not least featuring heavily in our big soap operas like Eastenders and Coronation St) but Early Doors is one of those that didn't get much attention at the time but has retained a cult following, I guess it's a bit like if Cheers was set in a northern English pub - a bit more dour, pretty slow moving but worth a watch. Mitchell & Webb's Back is apparently returning for a second series this year so may have some profile across the pond - they play brothers taking on their father's pub. I found the first series OK, IMDB's 7.3 seems about fair.

Also a shout out for the film Sideways - it may be superficially about finding the perfect Pinot Noir but I think brewers could replace that with the perfect lager/cask bitter/NEIPA. A great soundtrack as well, which deserves better than laptop speakers.

If you poke around Youtube there's lots of old footage of UK brewing.

Offline scrap iron

• Assistant Brewer
  • K.C.
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2020, 06:33:31 am »
Strange Brew, you hosier, eh, and another vote for Beerfest.  These movies are comedies not informative at all but fun to watch. One of the German brothers in Beerfest is the main character in Last Man on Earth TV series.
Mike F.                                                                              “I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer.”

Abraham Lincoln

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2020, 08:01:30 am »
Sometimes you will find some good stuff on YouTube.  Occasionally I run into a slickly-made video about brewing and it always gets my brewing juices flowing.  Just to see some guys in a UK brewhouse that was built in 1840 (or something) and describing their brewday, milling, mashing, etc. is awesome. 

Stuff like this:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30iTcG4IBc0

I realize it's short but there are probably many of these brewing videos.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 08:50:52 am by Village Taphouse »
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline Northern_Brewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • British - apparently some US company stole my name
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2020, 10:05:29 am »
BBF are new boys though, I suspect this from Tim Taylors is more what you were thinking of : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Cak4stt9v4

Or "Brewing Stories - An Oral History of West London Brewery Workers" : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqnNJ3IsAkA

Or Harvey's yeast : https://www.harveys.org.uk/news/60th-anniversary-harveys-yeast

Offline ravenwater

• Brewer
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2020, 10:22:32 am »
I give a nod to Beerfest - stupid mindless comedy. I enjoyed it! Also yes Strange Brew is a classic, eh?
Shawn Crawford  -  Rio Rancho, NM.  
 BJCP, Worthogs Homebrew Club of New Mexico

Life is good. Beer makes it gooder.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2020, 10:23:38 am »
Honestly, any video showing brewers in the brewhouse doing their thing and contrasted by people out in the brewpub drinking the beer... that makes me want to brew.  He's back there with all the stainless and then people are in a bricked-over pub with cement floors with walls of taps and glasses of beer on the bar.  Sign me up.  It could be 11pm and I'd be rubbing my chin about firing up a batch.  :D 
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline TANSTAAFB

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2020, 10:42:35 am »
Looks like Strange Brew is free on Prime ya hosers!

Offline noonancm

• Cellarman
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2020, 11:56:50 am »
Years ago I enjoyed the British Beer Blog videos with Pete Brown and Peter Amor
https://www.youtube.com/user/BritishBeerVideoBlog/videos

Offline theoman

• Brewmaster
  • Outskirts of Brussels, Belgium
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2020, 02:53:49 am »
If we're talking online stuff, Beer Amongst the Belgians was a good one. It was meant to be a series, but it was never picked up:

There was also the Jamie Oliver show where he did the Belgium vs. UK beer thing. It wasn't necessarily a great show, but it's Belgium and I know the American judge pretty well:
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xwy9el

Offline BrewMan13

• 1st Kit
  • Whole Nother Level
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2020, 02:18:07 pm »
There's a beer show on Amazon called "Beer Country", about the brewing scene in South Africa. A lot of cooking/BBQ type stuff as well, pretty entertaining.
Drinking: "Under the Sun" sahti
Fermenting: Roggenbier, Belgian strong dark ale
Aging/lagering: märzen, barleywine, wild ale
Planning: Lithuanian farmhouse ale, pale ale, imperial stout
Albany Brew Crafters President