Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: got a request to make a hefe, looking for tips  (Read 1878 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: got a request to make a hefe, looking for tips
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2020, 04:01:13 pm »
In my opinion, the ferulic acid rest is over-rated.  I think most of the yeast-derived characteristics will come from the yeast you use and the temperature at which you ferment.  I always get too much banana, mostly because I ferment in the mid 60'sF.  Go lower for more clove.

Do you "under pitch"?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2020, 04:51:42 pm »
In my opinion, the ferulic acid rest is over-rated.  I think most of the yeast-derived characteristics will come from the yeast you use and the temperature at which you ferment.  I always get too much banana, mostly because I ferment in the mid 60'sF.  Go lower for more clove.

Do you "under pitch"?
Probably, if using the yeast calculators is any indication.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2020, 07:27:03 pm »
Recognize that some 4VG is going to exist in most cases and that's going to contribute to some clove phenolics with a weizen yeast. But I am a proponent of conducting a ferulic acid rest to improve the creation of the base stock needed to produce a notable clove presence in the finished beer.

I find that brewers that don't perform a ferulic rest produce unimpressive clove notes and more of those brewers performing the rest end up with a notable clove presence.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2020, 01:52:22 am »
While we're on the subject of clove, barley contains more 4VG precursors than wheat. I have heard from several sources over the years that you can increase clove character by increasing the barley percentage in the grain bill. I haven't tested this myself yet, but I'm thinking of brewing a dampfbier using my Maerzen grain bill instead of my usual O-fest this summer to try this out.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline MattyAHA

• Brewer
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2020, 07:51:17 am »
i think i'm gonna make it a long brewday, start at a ferulic acid rest and decoct my way to mash out over the coarse of 1.5-2 hours or more, thanks everyone for the tips
Matty

"This sweet nectar was my life blood"-  Phil "Landfill" krundle

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2020, 08:19:11 am »
How long do you want to make it? Supposedly dextrose is a precursor of of isoamyl acetate and higher levels of it in your wort can boost banana. If you're decocting you can boost dextrose by holding your decoction at alpha rest temps to create dextrins, then using that to raise your main mash to a limit dextrinase rest at 140F.

FWIW, I added corn sugar to my last hefe at the end of the boil after hearing this. I think I got a bit more banana than usual, but it's far from conclusive.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline MattyAHA

• Brewer
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2020, 08:37:28 am »
How long do you want to make it? Supposedly dextrose is a precursor of of isoamyl acetate and higher levels of it in your wort can boost banana. If you're decocting you can boost dextrose by holding your decoction at alpha rest temps to create dextrins, then using that to raise your main mash to a limit dextrinase rest at 140F.

FWIW, I added corn sugar to my last hefe at the end of the boil after hearing this. I think I got a bit more banana than usual, but it's far from conclusive.

thank you Erock appreciate your input, i don't wanna put any sugar so im just gonna step mash via decoction, 1 liter sns starter,start in the mid 60's and finish at 70 and hope i get a good balance of clove/banana if not i will more then likely will have a tasty drinkable hefe in the end
Matty

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2020, 09:18:46 am »

thank you Erock appreciate your input, i don't wanna put any sugar so im just gonna step mash via decoction, 1 liter sns starter,start in the mid 60's and finish at 70 and hope i get a good balance of clove/banana if not i will more then likely will have a tasty drinkable hefe in the end
In my experience, a well balanced Hefe is fermented at 61 or 62F.  Any warmer than that and I get too much banana.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline MattyAHA

• Brewer
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2020, 06:52:36 am »

In my experience, a well balanced Hefe is fermented at 61 or 62F.  Any warmer than that and I get too much banana.
i just read a acticle about hefe's and they said exactly the same thing , yeah i'm gonna keep it cool 60-63F, thanks all
Matty