Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: got a request to make a hefe, looking for tips  (Read 1876 times)

Offline MattyAHA

• Brewer
got a request to make a hefe, looking for tips
« on: June 08, 2020, 09:31:25 am »
i don't brew hefe's really, i have brewed one a few times using munich dry yeast and was a kit, it was ok. i got a request from a friend to brew a hefe, so i wanna impress. this go around im gonna use wy3068, 60% wheat and 40% pilsner and just a dash of noble hops, the advise i'm seeking is should i make a starter? i heard to get those trademark hefe characters you should stress the yeast a bit by underpitching, im looking for a balance between clove and banana. its a 5 gallon batch btw. whats the word? starter or no starter? what ferm temp? cheers thank you
Matty

"This sweet nectar was my life blood"-  Phil "Landfill" krundle

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: got a request to make a hefe, looking for tips
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2020, 09:38:28 am »
Yes, make a starter.  Pitching rate is a very uncertain way to control esters. Do it with yeast, mash schedule and fermentation temp.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline allenhuerta

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2020, 09:39:28 am »
Going to follow this one. My last attempt I made a starter, WLP300, went 60/40 just life you. Ferulic rest, fermented at 70, and got very light clove character. Not the balance I was going for. But it picked up a Gold in a competition, so maybe I shouldn't complain. Just not the beer I was shooting for.

Edit: wait.. looking at notes, maybe it was the other way around. I got the clove I wanted but not banana catch up brain!!

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: June 08, 2020, 09:43:03 am by allenhuerta »

Offline MattyAHA

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2020, 09:41:19 am »
any special mash regime i should employ or is a single infusion good to go?
Matty

Offline allenhuerta

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2020, 09:56:13 am »
I did a 122, 145, 158. Not sure if that was totally necessary but I did like the beer. Short rest at each. 15, 30, 30 before MO and sparge.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2020, 09:56:36 am »
any special mash regime i should employ or is a single infusion good to go?

I an far from an expert on the style.  I'd say use a ferulic acid rest,  but someone else will likely have better info.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2020, 09:57:54 am »
i don't brew hefe's really, i have brewed one a few times using munich dry yeast and was a kit, it was ok. i got a request from a friend to brew a hefe, so i wanna impress. this go around im gonna use wy3068, 60% wheat and 40% pilsner and just a dash of noble hops, the advise i'm seeking is should i make a starter? i heard to get those trademark hefe characters you should stress the yeast a bit by underpitching, im looking for a balance between clove and banana. its a 5 gallon batch btw. whats the word? starter or no starter? what ferm temp? cheers thank you

Use a b lo-off tube with 3068.  It is a pretty agressive fermenter andwill overflow your fermentation vessel or push out the airlock.  I know from experience!
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2020, 11:00:27 am »
I have made my best hefes with a lower pitch rate. I would recommend 1 pack of liquid yeast (no starter) for 5 gallons of a 1.045-1.050ish beer.

Ferulic acid rest at 113F. From there you can go to a single conversion temp if you want. I just put one on tap that I went all-out with rests at 113, 148, 153, 162 and 171, mainly because I just got a Foundry and wanted to play around. I don't know if you need to go through all those steps, but I can't complain about the body and head on that brew at all.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2020, 11:19:59 am »
The thing about using a lower pitch rate how low?  How do you know if you're low enough, too low, or too high?  One pack of liquid doesn't take age and viability into account.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2020, 12:09:01 pm »
The thing about using a lower pitch rate how low?  How do you know if you're low enough, too low, or too high?  One pack of liquid doesn't take age and viability into account.
Just going by experience. I'm not the cell counting type, although maybe someone has some data on that. I just know that I've found the banana lacking when I've pitched a robust starter compared to no starter.
Eric B.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2020, 12:37:21 pm »
Just going by experience. I'm not the cell counting type, although maybe someone has some data on that. I just know that I've found the banana lacking when I've pitched a robust starter compared to no starter.

Agreed, but where's the line between less yeast and not enough yeast?

www.dennybrew.com

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2020, 01:06:45 pm »

Agreed, but where's the line between less yeast and not enough yeast?
To be honest, I've never run into a situation where I didn't have enough yeast outside of lagers and barleywines. I've had way more situations with ales where I feel like I should have pitched less yeast. I think the concerns over underpitching a standard strength ale are generally overstated when it comes to modern yeasts that have been properly stored.
Eric B.

Offline MattyAHA

• Brewer
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2020, 01:54:35 pm »
thank you everyone, reading about this yeast and being a top cropping yeast im thinking about rigging up a contraption to collect the blow off, as of now im working with glass carboys so i can't simply scoop out yeast with a spoon. anyone ever collect yeast through the blow off? it seems very realistic to drill 2 holes in a jar lid, one for the blow off tube and one for a airlock. whatchu think?
Matty

Offline Dustin_J

• 1st Kit
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2020, 02:26:18 pm »
https://braumagazin.de/article/brewing-bavarian-weissbier-all-you-ever-wanted-to-know/

Here's a great article for thinking about some of the levers you can pull to tweak things when making Weissbeer.

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2020, 03:37:23 pm »
In my opinion, the ferulic acid rest is over-rated.  I think most of the yeast-derived characteristics will come from the yeast you use and the temperature at which you ferment.  I always get too much banana, mostly because I ferment in the mid 60'sF.  Go lower for more clove.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995