Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Clarifying IPA's  (Read 928 times)

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
Clarifying IPA's
« on: June 05, 2020, 09:37:51 am »
I need some input here.  I recently made a Red IPA (Imperial strength) and fermented it with Wyeast 1084.  I user this same yeast in my Irish Red Ale and it just doesn't drop out when I cold crash the beer.  I have clarified the Red Ale with gelatin to get it to drop out but as a rule don't use gelatin on IPA's because I feel it would scrub out some of the hop flavor.
Is anyone clarifying their IPA's and if so are you noticing that it adversely effects the hop flavor?  I am debating about clarifying thhe Red IPA the next time I make it before dry hopping it.

Alternatively, I guess I can always use another yeast, but I do like the flavor that 1084 gives the beer.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Clarifying IPA's
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2020, 09:58:48 am »
I've been using WY1217 for IPA recently.  Clean, crisp, drops bright.  I don't use clarifies other than Whirlfloc, cold crashing and time.  Used to filter but decided it was more hassle than it was worth.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2020, 11:54:14 am »
Yeast absorb flavors so clarifying an IPA by reducing yeast reduces hop flavors regardless of how the beer is clarified, whether using gravity and time or assisting gravity with gelatin.  So use gelatin if you want too. 

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Clarifying IPA's
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2020, 12:26:42 pm »
Do something like this to see if you can tell the difference: http://brulosophy.com/2015/01/05/the-gelatin-effect-exbeeriment-results/

I close transfer to the keg, then cold crash.

When I fine with gelatin after the beer is cold to induce potential chill haze, I use 1 tsp gelatin in 2/3 cup water. Use 15 second microwave bursts (mine takes four) to get to ~150*F. https://www.bertusbrewery.com/2012/06/how-to-clear-your-beer-with-gelatin.html

First pint is hazy. Rest of the keg is crystal clear.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: June 05, 2020, 12:36:35 pm by BrewBama »

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2020, 07:33:29 am »
Do something like this to see if you can tell the difference: http://brulosophy.com/2015/01/05/the-gelatin-effect-exbeeriment-results/

I close transfer to the keg, then cold crash.

When I fine with gelatin after the beer is cold to induce potential chill haze, I use 1 tsp gelatin in 2/3 cup water. Use 15 second microwave bursts (mine takes four) to get to ~150*F. https://www.bertusbrewery.com/2012/06/how-to-clear-your-beer-with-gelatin.html

First pint is hazy. Rest of the keg is crystal clear.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That is pretty much what I did with the Irish Red Ale and it was clear after the first pint.  I, however, used 4 grams in 250 ml of water for a 5 gallon batch, heated the water to boiling, cooled it to 150, added the gelatin, and allowed it to "bloom".  I may modify my procedure to use short bursts of heat instead.  I may try gelatin in the Red IPA next time or maybe just take Denny's suggestion and use 1217.  Gotta mull that one around for a while.

Thanks for the input.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline Ellismr

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2020, 04:48:19 am »
I looked at the characteristics of the yeast and it says it’s estery so if it doesn’t drop bright you might want to switch to something more akin to white labs 005 its an English strain that’s dry  and will drop brite if you want to use a finishing product I use bio fine clear.  in the 5 gallon batch 10-20 mL max will get it to drop brite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Brew what you like & brew often.