Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: nutrients for kveik  (Read 2623 times)

Offline MattyAHA

• Brewer
nutrients for kveik
« on: June 10, 2020, 07:07:35 am »
i have a few experimental brews on deck using kveik, i'm trying a stout with hornidal and a pale ale with voss. both beers will be relatively low gravity beers, i wanna keep them in the 1.050-1.055 range. i read somewhere that kveik yeast needs additional nutrients when brewing lower gravity beers. i use wyeast nutrients and usually add 2.2-2.5 grams in every beer i make regardless. so will i need more for kveik? say 3 grams? anyone with kveik experience i would appreciate some advice. cheers
Matty

"This sweet nectar was my life blood"-  Phil "Landfill" krundle

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
Re: nutrients for kveik
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2020, 11:51:17 am »
Milk the Funk has a discussion of nutrients indicating that more is necessary at lower wort strength with links to experiments. http://www.milkthefunk.com/wiki/Kveik

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2020, 12:15:17 pm »
Richard Preiss and Iz Netto of Escarpment Labs said "it is worth noting that the FAN consum[p]tion of ~180ppm is considered high for beer yeasts, and highlights the importance of getting these yeast the nutrients they need for fermentation. Low gravity worts with European/Pilsner malts may result in sluggish fermentations and require nutrient addition" at https://www.escarpmentlabs.com/single-post/2019/11/01/The-impact-of-pitch-rate-on-kveik-ferments.

I guess I wouldn't do anything differently than normal if I wasn't using making a low gravity wort from European/pilsener malts (and I don't use nutrients).  Since you use nutrients anyway, I don't see why you would change.

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2020, 12:35:49 pm »
Here is a data point from Brewing, 2nd Ed, Lewis & Young, typical FAN is 140 ppm for a wort of 1.040 gravity (suspect that this if for pilsener). So at 1.050, FAN should be 175 ppm which is lower than 180 ppm. 

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2020, 05:05:57 pm »
From Lars Garhol's blog, "If there is enough nutrient from the grain bill (OG above 1.050) then you should be OK."  http://www.garshol.priv.no/blog/393.html.

Since you are in the 1.050-1.055 range and add nutrients anyway, you don't have to change your practice.

Offline MattyAHA

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2020, 09:54:40 am »
Thanks kramerog, appreciate it duder
Matty

Offline MattyAHA

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2020, 11:44:36 am »
just reporting back, i brewed a kveik yesterday (omega voss) and i took your advice and kept my practices the same and what do you know the beer  had a krausen like an hour after pitching and already hit FG in less then 24 hours. this yeast be crazy
« Last Edit: June 22, 2020, 01:57:03 pm by MattyAHA »
Matty