Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: sam adams boston lager  (Read 3156 times)

Offline MattyAHA

• Brewer
sam adams boston lager
« on: June 14, 2020, 08:20:01 am »
idk this beer is hit or miss, if its fresh i find it to be a very enjoyable beer, when its old just tastes like heavy caramel which is not enjoyable. all in all a nice fresh BL is always a beer i keep around, nothing crazy about it just a quaffable no frills beer
Matty

"This sweet nectar was my life blood"-  Phil "Landfill" krundle

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: sam adams boston lager
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2020, 09:13:57 am »
BL is a beer I have always enjoyed. I rarely have more than one, but that one always taste good to me.  A great beer to have when you go out for dinner and the restaurant only keeps the usuals around.  (I find Sierra Nevada Pale Ale to be a great one beer only type as well, for different reasons.)

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2020, 09:16:52 am »
I like BL. I brew PawPaw’s Beantown Beer each yr as my homage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline MattyAHA

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2020, 09:16:56 am »
i have a soft spot for both SABL and SNPA, i remember i was in vegas had some SN on tap and it was awesome totally better then the bottles i get
Matty

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2020, 09:51:12 am »
SABL got me into craft beer. I fondly remember a pool hall my friends and I frequented. They had SABL then later added Fat Tire. SABL was always my favorite. I have made a few attempts to clone it.

Offline MattyAHA

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2020, 09:54:15 am »
SABL got me into craft beer. I fondly remember a pool hall my friends and I frequented. They had SABL then later added Fat Tire. SABL was always my favorite. I have made a few attempts to clone it.
i brewed a clone a few times, was good but fell short, i used 90% 2 row and 10% caramel 60, tettnager and hallertau mittlefruh and wy2124, the thing with BT is it has a sweetness but finishes nice and crisp, my attempt it was thinner and dry throughout did not have that signature up front sweetness and crisp finish
« Last Edit: June 14, 2020, 09:59:32 am by MattyAHA »
Matty

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2020, 10:30:46 am »
i brewed a clone a few times, was good but fell short, i used 90% 2 row and 10% caramel 60, tettnager and hallertau mittlefruh and wy2124, the thing with BT is it has a sweetness but finishes nice and crisp, my attempt it was thinner and dry throughout did not have that signature up front sweetness and crisp finish
Yeah. I gave up on cloning it. Mine was never the same. But, I occasionally pay homage with a brew in the ball park.

Offline MattyAHA

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2020, 10:31:43 am »
tommy you remember the recipe? would like to try yours
Matty

Offline tommymorris

sam adams boston lager
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2020, 04:00:54 pm »
tommy you remember the recipe? would like to try yours
The last time I tried, I tried several grain bills. I didn’t quite follow the guidance on the Boston Beer website. From previous tries I was trying to decrease the color a bit.

Batch 1:
91% 2-row pale
7% Crisp Crystal 45
2% Caramel 60

Batch 2:
91% Pilsner Malt
9% Caramel 60

Batch 3:
85% 2-row pale
10% Caramel 60
5% Munich 1

I used the same hop schedule each time:

12.5 IBU Mittefrueh @ 60
12.5 IBU Tettnang @ 60

4.1 IBU Mittefrueh @ 20
3.7 IBU Tettnang @ 20

1.5 IBU Mittefrueh @ 5
1.3 IBU Tettnang @ 5

I used Mangrove Jacks M76 lager yeast for the first two grain bills and M84 for the last.

Batch 1 and 2 were the best. Batch 3 was too malty. I think M84 was the culprit in the maltiness more than the Munich malt. But, I am not sure.

If I try again I will probably increase the late hops by 50-100%. Fresh SABL has lots of hop flavor. I would probably just stick with 2-row and Caramel 60 in a ratio that got the color I wanted.

I don’t know how they arrange their hops. I just included each variety in equal amounts for each addition. That may not be what they do.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2020, 04:21:06 pm by tommymorris »

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2020, 05:19:26 pm »
A few weeks ago I emailed Sam Adams looking for info on their Honey Porter.  They gave me nothing regarding that beer but did give me some info on Boston Lager.  Here is the (automated) reply I got back:

-------------------

We are glad to hear that you are interested in homebrewing. You may already know that Jim Koch, founder of The Boston Beer Company, started as a homebrewer. We take pride in our homebrewing roots, and every employee homebrews at least once per year for our annual employee homebrew contest.

While we don't send out our exact brew process/recipe (we keep those as a trade secret!) Here's a few tips for brewing Boston Lager, in case you're interested:

Malt: Two row pale and two row C60
Hops: Hallertau Mittelfrüh (late boil/dry hopping) and Tettnang Tettnanger (early boil)
Yeast: Clean German lager yeast

There are a lot of great books and websites for homebrewers. The Complete Joy of Home Brewing (Harper Collins, 2003), a book now in its 3rd edition, was written by Charlie Papazian, founder and president of the American Homebrewers Association. The American Homebrewers Association’s website is www.craftbeer.com. Another site, www.howtobrew.com, contains a plethora of free information.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2020, 09:16:45 pm »
A few weeks ago I emailed Sam Adams looking for info on their Honey Porter.  They gave me nothing regarding that beer but did give me some info on Boston Lager.  Here is the (automated) reply I got back:

-------------------

We are glad to hear that you are interested in homebrewing. You may already know that Jim Koch, founder of The Boston Beer Company, started as a homebrewer. We take pride in our homebrewing roots, and every employee homebrews at least once per year for our annual employee homebrew contest.

While we don't send out our exact brew process/recipe (we keep those as a trade secret!) Here's a few tips for brewing Boston Lager, in case you're interested:

Hops: Hallertau Mittelfrüh (late boil/dry hopping) and Tettnang Tettnanger (early boil)

There are a lot of great books and websites for homebrewers. The Complete Joy of Home Brewing (Harper Collins, 2003), a book now in its 3rd edition, was written by Charlie Papazian, founder and president of the American Homebrewers Association. The American Homebrewers Association’s website is www.craftbeer.com. Another site, www.howtobrew.com, contains a plethora of free information.

I don't generally clone beers, but there is definitely a hoppy amber lager based loosely on this in my near future now. Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2020, 09:27:38 pm »

-------------------

Thanks. I hadn’t see the part about Tettnang early boil and Mittefrueh late and dry hopped.

Offline MattyAHA

• Brewer
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2020, 06:57:26 am »
right on Tommy, thank you i'm gonna give it a go
Matty

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2020, 07:31:45 am »

-------------------

I don't generally clone beers, but there is definitely a hoppy amber lager based loosely on this in my near future now. Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Absolutely!  Let us know how it comes out if you ever give it a go.

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2020, 12:08:56 pm »
iirc Sam Adams also asks the hop growers for early harvest hops as well, claiming they prefer the character they give