Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Effect of different crystal malts to achieve same SRM.  (Read 2773 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Effect of different crystal malts to achieve same SRM.
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2020, 10:47:06 am »
There have been articles years back on how you can have beer that has the same calculated Lovibond, but the appearance is different due to the hue.
I remember sitting through a seminar on that by Briess and getting at least 10 minutes of information in an hour presentation.

;D

Is that the one where the guy talked for 20 min. then quit?
No, you’re thinking of Wayne Wambles’ talk on wood-aged beers.  This was David Richter talking about different colored malts doing different things to beer color.  The fact that the seminar was early in the morning after Club Night may have made me less enthusiastic about listening.

I'm certain the one I'm thinking of is the one you mention.  I recall it as the guy gave put a bit of info,  then quit.  But my memory may be cloudy.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2020, 12:18:43 pm »
There have been articles years back on how you can have beer that has the same calculated Lovibond, but the appearance is different due to the hue.
I remember sitting through a seminar on that by Briess and getting at least 10 minutes of information in an hour presentation.

;D

Is that the one where the guy talked for 20 min. then quit?
No, you’re thinking of Wayne Wambles’ talk on wood-aged beers.  This was David Richter talking about different colored malts doing different things to beer color.  The fact that the seminar was early in the morning after Club Night may have made me less enthusiastic about listening.

I'm certain the one I'm thinking of is the one you mention.  I recall it as the guy gave put a bit of info,  then quit.  But my memory may be cloudy.

On the plus side, I ran over to hear the rest of Ron Jeffries' talk.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline charlie

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2020, 06:44:21 pm »
I guess where I'm going with this is that I like a brew (mostly APA/IPA) with some character, but I don't like sweet brew. A certain amount (~5%) of Special B, aromatic or melanoidin malt is interesting, and some color (SRM 6-8) looks good in the glass. Above all I shoot for the lowest possible FG, and I wonder if the crystal malt gets in the way (and I strongly suspect it does, but I don't know to what extent).
Yes officer, I know that I smell like beer. I'm not drinking it, I'm wearing it!

Offline dpevans

• 1st Kit
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2020, 10:42:02 am »
Wonder why it didn't show up.. post bomb.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

This is interesting to me. Looks like a sample of grain with a mixture of water? How much water do you add and how long does it sit before the flavor is fully extracted?

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2020, 11:08:24 am »
Hot Steep Method

50 g of base malt (100%), or 50% (25g) base - 50% (25g) specialty malt, or 15% (7.5g) dark roast - 85% (42.5g) base malt

Grind malt in spice grinder 10 sec

Add malt and 400 ml 149*F water to thermos

Shake 20 sec

Rest for 15 min

Shake for 20 sec

Filter malt from wort (Hario v60 filter recommended)

Add wort back to thermos and filter thru grain again (vorlauf)

Taste test

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk