Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Storing ingredients  (Read 1690 times)

Offline madscientist

• Brewer
Storing ingredients
« on: August 30, 2010, 11:08:10 am »
I purchased some ingredients a few weeks ago for another brew I was planning, however I might put it on hold if my friend is having a halloween party and brew a specialty beer just for the party.  How long can I keep the ingredients stored.  It's 6.6lbs liquid malt extract, and some specialty grains and hops that are sealed in bags. 
Homebrewed since 2010

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
Re: Storing ingredients
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 11:30:56 am »
I purchased some ingredients a few weeks ago for another brew I was planning, however I might put it on hold if my friend is having a halloween party and brew a specialty beer just for the party.  How long can I keep the ingredients stored.  It's 6.6lbs liquid malt extract, and some specialty grains and hops that are sealed in bags. 

Keep the extract in the fridge, the hops in the freezer and, as long as everything stays sealed, you'll be good for a plenty long time (months at least).
Joe

Offline socalbrewer

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 12:34:12 pm »
Are the specialty grains milled? If they are they will last a month or two but if they are unmilled they should be good for a long time if kept in an air tight rodent tight container. You should be fine if you brew soon.
ON TAP / BOTTLED:   

FERMENTING: 

ON DECK:    Barrel Aged Barley Wine,  IPA,  Pumpkin Ale,  Flanders Red

Offline madscientist

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 06:27:07 pm »
The grains are milled, sealed in the bag they came in and also in an air tight (mostly) rubbermaid continer.  Hops are in the freezer, yeast and malt extract are in the fridge.  I will hopefully brew it come mid to late October.  I was planning on doing it sooner, but my friend really wants me to bring a pumpkin beer to his halloween party.  I unfortunately don't have enough bottles or space to brew so quickly after finishing one. 
Homebrewed since 2010

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, 10:52:36 pm »
You can throw the grains in the fridge or freezer too if need be, just to keep them longer.
Tom Schmidlin