Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Yeast nutrient, Yea or Nay?  (Read 1678 times)

Offline Silver_Is_Money

• Brewer
  • Developer of 'Mash Made Easy'
    • Mash Made Easy, MashRite, LLC
Yeast nutrient, Yea or Nay?
« on: July 22, 2020, 04:28:38 am »
Do you or don't you add yeast nutrient to the Wort in your fermenter?  If you use it, what type(s), and at what quantities?  What benefit have you seen from using it?

Online ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Yeast nutrient, Yea or Nay?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2020, 04:50:40 am »
I add yeast nutrient as cheap insurance.  Wyeast is the brand I use.  I add a half teaspoon per 5 gallons of wort.  I find a quick start and good attenuation using it.  I have not done side by side analysis with untreated wort, however, so this is purely anecdotal on my part.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Semper Sitientem

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2020, 05:23:38 am »
I add yeast nutrient as cheap insurance.  Wyeast is the brand I use.  I add a half teaspoon per 5 gallons of wort.  I find a quick start and good attenuation using it.  I have not done side by side analysis with untreated wort, however, so this is purely anecdotal on my part.

+1. Same reason, same amount, same results.
Confidunt in cervisia nobis

Scientists believe that the universe is made of hydrogen, because they claim it’s the most plentiful ingredient. I claim that the most plentiful ingredient is stupidity. - Frank Zappa

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2020, 05:33:25 am »
I have used nutrient on stuck fermentations with good results.  However 95% of the time I don't use it, haven't seen any need.  Only reason I would is if I were reusing the same yeast like 4 or 5 times, then it makes sense.  Otherwise no.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2020, 05:49:43 am »
I use 2 tsp Fermax in 21 liters of wort.

I routinely use Bry-97 which is notorious for a long lag. I’ve seen up to 36 hrs without the nutrient. With the nutrient I get between 14-18 hr lag time with Bry-97.

I get vigorous fermentation and complete attenuation in a week which fits my pipeline schedule nicely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2020, 06:00:22 am »

+2 - same, same, same.
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2020, 07:11:06 am »
A half teaspoon in every boil, just for cheap insurance. Been using Wyeast Nutrient for a couple of years and Fermaid-K before that. Always quick starts and complete fermentations. Is that due to the nutrient? don't know, but it surely doesn't hurt.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2020, 07:14:21 am »

+2 - same, same, same.

+3.  I also use a pinch of yeast nutrient when making my starters.  To me, it seems to get things going a bit faster.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2020, 08:21:49 am »

Same here
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2020, 08:22:49 am »

I routinely use Bry-97 which is notorious for a long lag. I’ve seen up to 36 hrs without the nutrient. With the nutrient I get between 14-18 hr lag time with Bry-97.

I get vigorous fermentation and complete attenuation in a week which fits my pipeline schedule nicely.

I'll try to ask my friends at Lallemand about this.  I'm curious.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Andy Farke

• Brewer
  • Homebrewing Paleontologist
    • Andy's Brewing Blog
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2020, 08:53:03 am »
I use nutrient (Fermax) for batches that I feel "need it"...anything where the yeast might be under more stress than usual. Examples include cases where I am repitching a culture, starting at a low fermentation temperature, high percentage of non-barley adjuncts, or high starting gravity. For standard stuff (ales under ~1.070 s.g. and fermenting in the 65 to 70 degree range with a freshly purchased yeast pitch), I don't bother.
Facebook: Farke Brewing

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2020, 09:06:30 am »

Please let us know what your source says. Mine recommended it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2020, 09:46:10 am »
No nutrients unless gravity will exceed 1.060 due to wort not having enough zinc.  While less of a concern for home brewing than for commercial brewing, excess nutrients makes the finished beer less biologically stable.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2020, 09:53:27 am »
I use Wyeast nutrient every batch.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2020, 09:59:11 am »

Please let us know what your source says. Mine recommended it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Someone at Lallemand?  If so, there's no need for me to repeat it.

www.dennybrew.com