Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: How much lactic acid to add in a 5 gallon gose?  (Read 2433 times)

Offline Frank The Tank

• 1st Kit
How much lactic acid to add in a 5 gallon gose?
« on: July 27, 2020, 10:19:48 pm »
Hi gang!

I'm going to be brewing my first all-grain gose in a few days (5 gallon batch). I bought all of the ingredients from a local homebrew store. Here is what was included:

4.75 lb Pilsner malt
3.75 lb Pale wheat malt
1 oz. Huell Melon hop pellets (@ 60 min in boil)
0.5 oz. coriander (@ 10 min left in boil)
1 oz. Brewer's sea salt (@ 10 min left in boil)
1 oz. sweet orange peel (@ 10 min left in boil)
Wyeast 1007 German ale yeast

And it also came with a 5 oz. bottle of 88% lactic acid (to be added to taste right before bottling).

I'll also be using all RO water from Walmart. I have some gypsum, but don't know if I should add any.

I've seen a lot of different opinions on how much lactic acid is needed to get a good sour flavor--mostly in the 1 to 2 oz. range.

Any advice?

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: How much lactic acid to add in a 5 gallon gose?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2020, 04:22:27 am »
I have only done post ferment souring (months) or kettle souring (overnight) for the Gose style beers I have brewed, but I would imagine that it will take somewhere in the range of half to 3/4ths of that bottle to get a noticeable souring level remotely similar to a kettle soured batch.  I haven’t got a lot of faith in adding lactic 88% to achieve the traditional sour flavor, but I think it could be a “clean” sour.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2020, 07:15:30 pm »
While you could probably simulate a Gose by adding lactic acid. I'm not sure how realistic it would be.

Refined lactic acid is going to provide a single note to the beer. A real, sour-fermented Gose is going to present a multitude of sour notes and produce a more interesting and flavorful beer.

In the absence of the real sour-fermentation, I'm betting that it will still be an enjoyable beer.  I can't recommend a dose since the buffering in a beer is different than in wort. The best advice is to add known amounts of lactic acid to a known amount of the beer and scale that dose up when you've found an acceptable result.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2020, 07:46:13 pm »
I would add anywhere from zero to maybe 1 oz. Traditionally you wouldnt really want it to be noticeable. That being said, Americans love to break tradition so if thats your take, go as crazy as you want with it.

And for heavensakes, same with the salt. Go easy on it. An ounce seems like far too much. Try 1 teaspoon then go from there. Add at bottling or kegging time until it tastes good.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2020, 07:49:22 pm by dmtaylor »
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.