Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Film on top of cider Cot Des Blanc yeast  (Read 890 times)

Offline ahgrafx

• Cellarman
Film on top of cider Cot Des Blanc yeast
« on: August 04, 2020, 03:36:14 pm »
Hello everyone this is my first large batch (6gal) I usually just do 1gal batches I've done about 20 so far and all have turned out great. I just purchased these 2 used 6.5gal glass fermenters used off of OfferUp. I soaked them in pbw cleaner then scrubbed once with a carboy brush then sanitized with star san. There was no visible scum just a little smelly. I used red stars Cote des Blanc yeast which I have used before but this time since it's such a large batch I am letting it clear in the fermenter when I usually cold crash when at a gravity of 1. It is about half way clear in the 3rd week, temps have been a bit warmer top end of 80 degrees but the manufacture said it can handle it. I see a little bit of residue on top of the cider and the thin croisin line looks green to me when usually Cote des Blanc doesn't usually leave a croisin line but as I said I've never left it this long in the fermenter. Just wondering if any of you have seen this I'm just worried because I bought these fermenters from a stranger and maybe there was something left in it after I cleaned it? I used just Kirkland clear Apple juice and yeast and that is it no added sugar or anything. Let me know what you think from the pics. I did put 32oz of Cherry juice to I forgot to mention, it had some particles in it so maybe that's what the film is from?
Thanks

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 06:30:22 pm by ahgrafx »

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
Re: Film on top of cider Cot Des Blanc yeast
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2020, 09:39:17 am »
Based on the title, I was thinking pellicle but the photos don't suggest pellicle.  Weird

Offline ahgrafx

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2020, 06:29:53 pm »
I did put 32oz of Cherry juice to I forgot to mention, it had some particles in it so maybe that's what the film is from?

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2020, 02:37:33 pm »
That is definitely bacterial.  I would never use anything from Red Star in my beer.  I know brewers who plated Red Star yeast in the bad old days, but we were desperate.

Offline joe_meadmaker

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2020, 09:50:53 am »
I would never use anything from Red Star in my beer.  I know brewers who plated Red Star yeast in the bad old days, but we were desperate.

Can you elaborate on that?  For mead I generally stick to WLP720 and D47, but I have used Red Star varieties a couple of times.  I don't remember any problems with it, but would be interested in hearing your input.

Offline ahgrafx

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2020, 11:22:02 pm »
It turned out great, just finished off the last of the 6 gallons

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2020, 06:47:37 am »
I would never use anything from Red Star in my beer.  I know brewers who plated Red Star yeast in the bad old days, but we were desperate.

LOL!  Cider is not beer!  Red Star makes really good wine yeasts.  But sure, I wouldn't use these, or their bread yeasts, in my beer.

@ahgrafx, I'm glad to hear it turned out fine in the end.  It was hard to see any significant problems based on the pictures above.  Might have been a slight thing but nothing out of control.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.