Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pouring a Pint, Brit-style  (Read 5009 times)

Offline roguejim

• Brewer
Pouring a Pint, Brit-style
« on: August 31, 2010, 03:50:21 am »
A friend of mine just returned to the U.S. from England.  He remarked that when he ordered pints at several pubs, they always seemed to purposely overfill the pint glass to the point of overflowing.  The bartender would then wait for the beer to settle, and then top it off.  A real mess apparently.  Why this filling technique?

beveragebob

Re: Pouring a Pint, Brit-style
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 04:02:22 am »
There is a strict code over there(England) where when you pour a pint...it HAS to be a pint. I think there was almost a war over there because patrons felt like they'd been cheated. It happens here in the US all the time. It's happened to me. I ask for a pint and wind up with a "cheater Pint"(look for a fatter glass bottom than your usual real pint glass) then there's the two fingers or more of foam so, what you wind up with is more like 12 ounces and paying for a pint. The secret to avoid that when going to a beer bar that I discovered is to ask for a glass with a commercial logo on it(most honest breweries crank out real pint glasses) and just one finger of foam and you should be good to go even though an eyebrow may be raised.....screw'em you're dropping you're hard earned cash there so, they should comply. If they don't, get up and walk out.

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 09:42:56 am »
It's sad when the word "pint" is taken to mean some random amount of beer. I guess you can just ask bars "how many ounces is that?"  If you want to make a point, you can then measure it and ask for the rest of what they promised. 

The pathetic thing is that they give you the heavy bottom shaker/sleeve glasses to save a couple ounces, but then they pour a half gallon down the drain while trying to avoid giving you half a glass of foam because their lines aren't balanced properly.

Don't get me started on the ways I've seen US servers misuse handpumps (pulling on them like they're trying to start a lawnmower, jamming the neck down to the bottom of the glass to make sure I get maximum contact with the stale beer, using sparklers so tight there's no condition left in the beer when I get it).

When I can make 5 gallons of my own beer for what I'd spend on two pints in most places, the times when I actually pay for it, it better be done right.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
  • Brewing in Flossmoor, IL
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 09:51:57 am »
Good summary of the UK law on Wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pint_glass#United_Kingdom_law

I have seen glasses there with a line indicating where a pint is, which avoids the overflow issue your friend encountered. Wiki makes it sound like those are less common than they used to be.
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 09:54:05 am »
Preach it, Brother Gordon!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Me

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 02:36:06 pm »
Beer is proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy-
BF

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2010, 02:41:31 pm »
It's sad when the word "pint" is taken to mean some random amount of beer. ...
When I can make 5 gallons of my own beer for what I'd spend on two pints in most places, the times when I actually pay for it, it better be done right.

That's for sure. 
I was dragged kicking to a FRIDAY's recently, and I ordered a pint of Sam Adams...it was served in one of their  'signature' glasses which I suspect is less than a US pint to being with, and it was underfilled to boot.  Like, enough so that it would fit into a 12 oz glass. 
Apparently there are segments of the beer industry (including, I'm told,  some distrubutors)  that actually encourage bars to use various 'cheater' pints to fatten up the bottom line. 
I haven't done the math, but seems that those 2-3 ounces not delivered each time a "pint" is ordered  would certainly add up to quite a few real pints of extra profit over the life of a keg.
AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971

Offline Me

• Cellarman
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2010, 04:46:13 pm »
If the unscrupulous bar shorted every customer 2 ounces it would make the keg last about 17 more "pints" (124 pints vs 141 "pints"). At 4 dollars a pop that's an extra $64. At a 4 ounce under-pour your looking at more than 41 more glasses (not sure you can call this a pint) or $164 more per keg. I hate looking at this math because I can see why crappy bar managers might choose to adopt this policy. When I would bar tend I would always fill 'em up, if you short someone 20% of their beer you're at risk of them shorting you 100% of your tip.
Beer is proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy-
BF

Offline rabid_dingo

• Brewmaster
  • Brighton, CO :D
    • Mile High Monks
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2010, 04:49:32 pm »
I have learned at a couple of bars to ask for a beer without any head on it. I'd just rather get my
value, sometimes...
Ruben * Colorado :)

Offline alikocho

• Brewmaster
  • Bristol, UK
    • A Storm Brewing
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2010, 02:03:08 am »
The UK has an extremely strict weights and measures act. All glassware must have a crown stamp on it to show that it is a pint, so that the drinker knows that's what they're getting. Far be it from me to suggest government intervention in beer consumption, but perhaps the AHA or the Brewer's Association could lobby for some mark of approval that a full pint is served.
Bristol Brewing Circle (BBC)
Bristol Craft Brewers

UK National Homebrew Competition - http://www.bristolhomebrewcompetition.org.uk/

Offline anthayes

• 1st Kit
    • HayesenBrau
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2010, 02:46:44 pm »
A friend of mine just returned to the U.S. from England.  He remarked that when he ordered pints at several pubs, they always seemed to purposely overfill the pint glass to the point of overflowing. 

This is a regional English thing. Down south folks don't like head on their beer. Up north they do.

All over the country people want a minimum of 568ml. CAMRA's push for oversize pint glasses, i.e. ones that can hold a pint without spilling all over your hand, has been more successful up north than down south.

Ant Hayes
Tonbridge, Kent
Soek jy die oerkroeg se bier

Offline joelambic

• Cellarman
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2010, 12:36:56 pm »
My understanding is that draft (draught) beer in the UK must be served in one of three measures; 1/3 pint, 1/2 pint, 1 pint.  Glasses must be certified either to the brim (no line) or have a line denoting the proper measure.  Other than the Great British Beer Fest (GBBF), I have never seen a 1/3 pint glass and CAMRA only introduced that glass a couple of years ago.  Some pint glasses may have a line at 1/2 pint and then either a line at a full pint or be brim measure.

CAMRA has made a push for oversize, lined glasses but the industry - at least around London where I've frequented - has shied away from them.  As it was once explained to me, some pubs - Wetherspoons were one chain IIRC - tested the oversize glasses but many patrons asked for "top-ups" (a fair request for a brim measure glass but not for oversize glasses if there's beer to the line).  The staff were often unwilling to make a scene so would accommodate which resulted in lost revenue.  Unscrupulous patrons learned they could get an extra few ounces by making such a request.  The pubs switched back to brim measure pints.

Another reason for lackluster adoption of the lined glasses has been that the pubs (and suppliers) have a large stock of brim measure glassware which could be costly to swap out.  Sure, new lined pints could be brought in to replace breakage but that could take a while for a full swap out and then there's the issue with use of two glass types (see above) in the interim.

I personally like the line glass.  A lined glass at shows a given volume with room for head (or not).  A consumer know whether or not they've gotten a full pour and what that amount is/should be.  Some US pubs (Gordon Biersch, Rock Bottom Mug Club mugs are two off the top of my head) use these.  The standard US "pint" sleeve/mixer glass comes in too many variations, not all of which actually hold 16oz to the brim.  Some pubs are using imperial pint glasses but there still is no indication to the consumer whether they're getting a proper measure.  I'd guess if the US had more enforcement with regards to ensuring a serving called a "pint" actually held a pint, menus would just change to calling it a "glass" of beer.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2010, 01:40:37 pm »
In Germany there is a fill line for beer, the  "Plimsoll line", for a full fill of beer and room for the head (I just found that the Plimsoll is from the max legal load line on the side a cargo ship).  The Germans have strict weights and measures codes, that are followed.

There is this in the US.
http://honestpintproject.org/index.htm

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline beerdoc-one

• 1st Kit
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2022, 10:15:47 am »
I was looking to see if there are exceptions to the Weights and Measures requirements for a Plimsoll Line or brim of glass. But the posts were intriguing on several levels.
First, when the craft beer movement began and the straight pint glass adopted, IIRC it was a Libby glass and actually only held 15 ounces; the movement wasn't strong enough, yet, so Libby wasn't going to produce a true pint to order.
Second, the English pint id 20 U.K. ounces, which translates to about 19.2 USA ounces ( the ounces are not equal).
Third, when I visited England in 1976, we went to a "local", the White Swan. They had tried to adopt a Greene King Abbot glass with a Plimsoll Line; the locals hated it, thinking they were being cheated. So, the landlord gave me two of the lower-half-dimpled mugs, still one of my all time favorite beer glasses.
Finally, fourth, visiting friends in Yorkshire about 20 years ago, we went to a busy, real ale pub, which had on hand pump Timothy Taylor's Landlord, a legendary best bitter on my bucket list for donkeys' years. That part of Yorkshire wants a good head, but real ale has only a small amount of almost imperceptible carbonation. As the bar maid pulled the first half pint, the sparkler tried to agitate the beer. She pulled another half pint, filling the glass, then pulled again and again and again, the ale spilling over into the drain trough (I was told the beer goes down and back into the cask). She handed me the full pint and I walked back to our table. The beer was cloudy and my local friends said I should take it back. One taste and I was more than satisfied the beer was in good nick. Over the next five minutes, the cloudiness gently lifted, leaving a fine ale with a good head and perfectly clear.