Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Bottling Belgian Ales in 1L Flip Top Bottles with Carbonation Drops  (Read 1510 times)

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
I recently ordered 24 1L flip-top bottles that claim to be designed for beer. I have seen such things used at a few breweries and I really like the idea of being able to pour two 500mL pints or three ~330 mL glasses of beer from a bottle (22 oz bombers are a frustrating size, IMO), as well as being able to have them double as smallish growlers. Although I haven't bottled in several years, I understand the process of using a solution of priming sugar and a bottling bucket.

However, it dawns on me that my sparkling new fermenter can bottle directly if I use its spigot with a spring-loaded bottle filler and "carbonation drops" instead of a priming solution. The issue is how many drops to use. Each drop supposedly gives the right amount of sugar for a slightly overcarbonated 12 oz bottle of pale ale. I think it's ~2.5 volumes of CO2 per 12 oz per drop. 1L is about 34 oz, so 2 drops would give me ~1.76 volumes of CO2 (maybe ok for a bitter), 3 drops would give me ~2.65 volumes of CO2 (probably good for a hefeweizen) and 4 drops would give me ~3.53 volumes of CO2.

It has been so long since I have bottled a Belgian-style ale, but I know they are typically carbonated more than American ales. I have seen appropriate CO2 levels listed as high as 4 volumes of CO2, but I wanted confirmation that ~3.53 volumes of CO2 wouldn't be better than ~2.65 volumes for a strong Belgian ale. The recipe in question is not to-style, but will be dark, roastier than any genuine trappist beer and approximately 10% ABV. Is ~3.53 better than ~2.65 volumes of CO2? What is everyone's opinion?

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
Re: Bottling Belgian Ales in 1L Flip Top Bottles with Carbonation Drops
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2020, 05:32:16 pm »
2.7 v/v is pretty typical for US styles.  Belgian styles (and hefeweizens) are usually higher making their beers drier.  I would go higher if I knew that the flip tops could handle the higher pressure.  I recently used some old, but not previously used 1L flip tops and several of them broke for no apparent reason.

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2020, 08:01:34 am »
Another thought is that the strain I am using (WLP545) is STA1-positive, which could lead to additional carbonation over time. I am thinking ~3.5 vols is the way to go, but maybe ~2.7 is better for the bottles I age longer.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2020, 09:57:16 pm »
I've had Belgian and other highly carbonated beer from fliptop bottles. BFM Square Root 225 comes in 12oz fliptops and has a mixed culture in it. I have bottles several years old with no problems of leaking or the beers going flat. Those bottles are thick--not sure how thick the liter bottles are. I've tried rebottling in them without replacing the gasket which did not go extremely well. I would replace the gaskets after each use.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2020, 03:48:25 am »
I’d do a couple three or four each way and see which one I liked best. If you’re like me, if you chose one you’ll always wonder about the other.

Given the thickness of the bottles I doubt it’s a hazard but for safety I’d put them in a plastic storage tub with something heavy on the lid to contain any shrapnel and mess if a bottle or two were to explode.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2020, 09:38:00 am »
Yeah, as I anticipate having 20 bottles, I will probably dose some with 4, some with 3 and a couple with 2, just to see.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2020, 09:57:15 am »
Yeah, as I anticipate having 20 bottles, I will probably dose some with 4, some with 3 and a couple with 2, just to see.

Good plan!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Fire Rooster

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2020, 01:00:56 pm »
If I may suggest, for 1 litre bottles use one with 1 1/2 teaspoons table sugar, and another with 2 teaspoons.
I bottle @ 64 degrees. I do nothing but bottle :<, just finished cleaning & sanitizing 1 case of 22 oz bottles.
Small kitchen funnel works.  Carb drops didn't work out for me.  Use an accurate measuring spoon.
Domino dots stopped making them 1/2  teaspoon (fits in bottle neck), they now make them
1 teaspoon (doesn't fit in bottle neck).
« Last Edit: August 20, 2020, 01:57:07 am by Fire Rooster »