Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Two Bad Brews....Help!  (Read 1895 times)

Offline Troy Walker

• 1st Kit
Two Bad Brews....Help!
« on: August 21, 2020, 08:32:28 pm »
I was looking forward today to try two of my recent all grain efforts.  One a British Bitter the other A British Golden Ale.

Tried them both today.  Both have a musty, dry flavor on the back of the pallette.  One is really not drinkable, the other partially.  Today is not a good day.

I followed the directions with both (did them a day apart).  Sanitized well I thought, as I have before, and fermented two weeks on primary temp controlled.  Using plastic brew buckets for both.  Here's where I think I may have made mistakes.

It was my first time to cold crash.  I was worried that I had gone too low in temp and partially frozen the beer.  I'd been spooked by failures of the inkbird temp controller.  So I, quickly, opened the fermenter up and checked it before closing the lid again on the British Bitter.

For the Golden Ale, I did my first dry hop.  Again, opened the lid to dry hop.  This one is better but the musty flavor is unmistakeable.

Rest assured, I'm in this for the long haul, but my confidence (after a few decent all grain brews) has been dented.

Giants, I'm looking for your shoulders to stand on.  Advice?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2020, 08:40:41 pm by Troy Walker »

Offline allenhuerta

• Brewer
Re: Two Bad Brews....Help!
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2020, 08:36:58 pm »
I'm curious about the grain storage or how long you've had it based on what you posted. Then maybe your fermentation space and the bottles? that you used/how they were stored. Others will chime in I'm sure.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Offline Troy Walker

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2020, 08:42:27 pm »
I bought the grain a week before, milled, and stored it.  Fermentation space in the bucket ...I was at about 5 1/4 gallons or so.  The bottles were much as I've done them before.  A bit of variability but I don't leave much more than a couple of inches, often less.

Offline TANSTAAFB

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2020, 08:42:38 pm »
What were the recipes? Yeast used?  I very much doubt that a quick open of the lid was the culprit

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 21, 2020, 08:44:11 pm by TANSTAAFB »

Offline Troy Walker

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2020, 08:48:33 pm »
British ale yeasts.  Both Whitelab.

Best Bitter was 8lbs Marris Otter.
12 oz crystal 80
4 oz pale chocolate
Fuggle and East Kent Golding Hops

Golden Ale was
5.5 lb Marris Otter
4.5 lb 2 row
1.2 lb wheat
Fuggle and Uk target hops.

Offline allenhuerta

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2020, 08:50:39 pm »
I bought the grain a week before, milled, and stored it.  Fermentation space in the bucket ...I was at about 5 1/4 gallons or so.  The bottles were much as I've done them before.  A bit of variability but I don't leave much more than a couple of inches, often less.
I should have been a little more clear. I meant where do you ferment. Like, where do you keep your buckets? And for the bottles were they stored clean and dry before use?

Offline Troy Walker

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2020, 08:53:25 pm »
Fermented in a temp controlled freezer.  I clean the buckets after and then store in the garage.  Then I clean again and sanitize prior to using them.

Bottles stored at room temp (well a bit hotter because I live in Phoenix) for 2 weeks.

Offline TANSTAAFB

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2020, 08:56:26 pm »
I knew it! I almost wrote "lemme guess, Fuggles?" but deleted it! There's your culprit. Denny, thoughts?

Offline Troy Walker

• 1st Kit
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2020, 09:03:24 pm »
So fuggles hops give an off taste generally or do they go off easily or what do you think?

I took the recipe from the homebrew challenge guy on youtube (love that channel). 

Offline TANSTAAFB

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2020, 09:11:07 pm »
In my humble opinion, Fuggles just tastes musty. Muddy. Not appealing at all. I haven't brewed with them in about a decade. Much like yourself I tried a couple of recipes with them early in my AG brewing adventure and thought I'd done something wrong. Obsessed over what part of my brewing process I had screwed up. Stopped using Fuggles in my beer and haven't had that particular off flavor since. I just don't like them. I know Denny Conn hates em. I wish I had a couple of his quotes re: that particular hop variety on hand for just such an occasion. Guess we'll have to wait for the man himself to give us his thoughts

Offline Troy Walker

• 1st Kit
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2020, 09:25:44 pm »
I really appreciate your opinion.  Thanks.  I'd love to think it was an ingredient - but I worry I've messed something up.

Online ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2020, 06:33:15 am »
Could be a mold issue - it doesn’t take much for that to affect the beer.  But Fuggles has an earthiness that some folks detect readily and is off putting for them.  Try the same recipe with East Kent Goldings and see if there is improvement.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline allenhuerta

• Brewer
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2020, 06:41:52 am »
Could be a mold issue - it doesn’t take much for that to affect the beer.  But Fuggles has an earthiness that some folks detect readily and is off putting for them.  Try the same recipe with East Kent Goldings and see if there is improvement.
Yeah, that's what I was trying to determine but sounds like a clean space.. assuming anyway

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2020, 08:05:29 am »
I like the Fuggles hypothesis. Try brewing the same recipe replacing the Fuggles and see what you think.

Also, if you can, try waiting to mill your grain until just before you brew vs. a week prior. I’m not sure if it makes a huge difference or not but it can’t hurt to wait.

The theory goes when you crack the kernel oxygen starts getting to the endosperm and it begins to oxidize which could result in musty flavors.

I like to mill as my water is heating to strike temp. Most probably mill the night before.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2020, 08:24:01 am »
I knew it! I almost wrote "lemme guess, Fuggles?" but deleted it! There's your culprit. Denny, thoughts?

From my point if view, entirely possible.  So is astringency from high pH. So are several other things.  Trying  to diagnose beer without a full description and tasting isn't easy.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell