Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: getting started  (Read 3174 times)

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
Re: getting started
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2020, 03:55:49 pm »
I've seen a few on LetGo

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2020, 09:12:07 pm »
The newer all-in-one systems are so easy and reasonably priced that unless building a system is part of the hobby for you or you brew large batches I don't know many reasons why you wouldn't opt to go that route. Granted, I'm not sure if I've tasted beer coming off one of those but they're basically BIAB systems and I've brewed enough beer that way to think they should turn out good beer.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2020, 04:17:26 am »
The newer all-in-one systems are so easy and reasonably priced that unless building a system is part of the hobby for you or you brew large batches I don't know many reasons why you wouldn't opt to go that route. Granted, I'm not sure if I've tasted beer coming off one of those but they're basically BIAB systems and I've brewed enough beer that way to think they should turn out good beer.

I agree. And, if the "BIAB" concepts bothers you, you can sparge and lauter into a separate kettle without moving the grain basket. I have done this a few times and it works perfectly.

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2020, 04:35:10 am »
Probably already said but BIAB is excellent for small batches and I used to "BIAB" in a small 5 gallon orange keg cooler. Then when I moved to 5 gallon batches and started mashing and sparging, I used that 5 gallon cooker for my hot liquor tank works perfect

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2020, 04:43:56 am »
One complaint of the 120v systems is the longer time to get to boil.  The 240v models solve that issue, as does (to a lesser degree) insulating the tun.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2020, 04:44:45 am »
One complaint of the 120v systems is the longer time to get to boil.  The 240v models solve that issue, as does (to a lesser degree) insulating the tun.
+1

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2020, 08:49:30 am »
Wonder where Biglare went?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline deckerhand

• Cellarman
« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2020, 09:13:24 am »
If you have money to burn and the experience look at brewha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2020, 09:36:19 am »

Nah, the 110/120V is plenty fast for a 5-6 gallon. I'm not sure how fast people expect but I can brew an entire batch in a relaxed 4 hours, the boil time is not an issue for me.

Obviously 10-12 gallons or larger you will need 220V

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2020, 09:56:57 am »

Nah, the 110/120V is plenty fast for a 5-6 gallon. I'm not sure how fast people expect but I can brew an entire batch in a relaxed 4 hours, the boil time is not an issue for me.

Obviously 10-12 gallons or larger you will need 220V

I have Grainfather a in both 120v and 240v.  The 240 does boil faster and harder but that's not to say the 120 version is bad.  Boil time is pretty close for each.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Biglare

• 1st Kit
  • Madison, WI
« Reply #40 on: November 09, 2020, 11:45:44 am »
Thanks to everyone for the responses.  I guess I'm not totally married to a 3 vessel system.  I've also checked out some all in ones. 

Offline rungdalek

• Cellarman
« Reply #41 on: November 09, 2020, 12:18:47 pm »
I've done the blue cooler (red didn't seem work well) batch sparge for many years along with BIAB.  Neither of which is very expensive and makes great beer.

http://www.dennybrew.com/

I also do Mr. Beer kits, which if you're just starting out might not be a bad investment.  The quality, customer service and supply chain management has *vastly* improved over the years to the point that out of the 20+ kits I've done in the last couple years I've not had a single one that has been out of date (all were 2+ years before expiration) or missing ingredients.  They're easy and fun to make, plus they make great beer.

Something like the Grainfather, Brewzilla or Anvil Foundry also looks appealing but ATM everything I have works well.  If you have your heart set on stainless all in one these are probably your best bet.

A true 3 vessel HERMS is probably 4-5k+ plus FV, ferm chamber, etc...  that's a large investment for a first time brewer and it won't make your beer taste any better.

https://spikebrewing.com/pages/spike-systems

There is a very slight learning curve to brewing, albeit more of a knack but a smaller cheaper setup will expose you to the in's and out's without the expense.

Things like Low Dissolved Oxygen can be addressed as you build your system, unless you want to spend 10-15k for a LODO setup...

https://conical-fermenter.com/low-oxygen-brewing/

Offline Joe_Beer

• Brewer
« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2020, 05:38:29 am »
Thanks to everyone for the responses.  I guess I'm not totally married to a 3 vessel system.  I've also checked out some all in ones.

I brewed my first kit on 7/20 in a used five gallon stainless pot from amazon. It worked OK but even with the kitchen vent fan on over the stove I "aromated" the second floor with the process. Fam wasn't enjoying that too much. I also didn't like having to boil top-off water a couple days before and then waiting for it to cool. Buying bottled water was easier but a reliance on the stores staying open during a pandemic. Upgraded to an Anvil Foundry 120v. I love the all in one and I can brew anywhere I have an outlet (sunroom, garage, laundry room) and don't need to constantly monitor temps and adjust gas flow which gives me time to clean up while mashing or boiling. The pot-and-stove method was a lot of screwing around but it wasn't bad enough that I wouldn't do it again. The $50 chiller that comes with the foundry was what actually sealed the deal for me. I used up so much ice cooling my stove top batch in the kitchen sink.. ugh