Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brown Ale  (Read 1179 times)

Offline Tfwebster

• Assistant Brewer
Brown Ale
« on: September 12, 2020, 09:15:00 am »
I've got 5 gallons of brown ale in the fermenter right now, and I'd like to add coffee and cocoa nibs. I'm aiming for something akin to Cigar City. Right now I'm looking at 0.5 cup whole beans cold brewed in 2 cups of water for 24 hours and 2 oz of cocoa nibs cold steeped in 2 cups of a white liquor for 24 hours. My plan is to add the liquid result of both to the fermenter at the beginning of a 3 day cold crash. Never done this before so suggestions on any of that much appreciated.

Thank you.
If reading about homebrewing is your thing, join Brewer's Book Club at  https://www.facebook.com/groups/754108348475546/

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
Re: Brown Ale
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2020, 09:23:07 am »
Your amounts of coffee and nibs seems low to me, but I guess if it’s not enough you can always add more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan Chisholm

Offline Semper Sitientem

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2020, 09:04:32 pm »
I agree. I think 4 ozs. is a better amount for 5 gallons. Also, I soak mine for a week to make a good tincture. I’m not sure how much flavor you’re going to extract in one day. Also, never brewed with coffee.
Confidunt in cervisia nobis

Scientists believe that the universe is made of hydrogen, because they claim it’s the most plentiful ingredient. I claim that the most plentiful ingredient is stupidity. - Frank Zappa

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2020, 08:13:10 am »
You can also add the whole coffee beans directly to the fermenter and save a step.  You will get the coffee flavor but not extract much caffeine,  I do this with my coffee porter. I get lots of flavor without the caffeine buzz.  Three days on the beans seems to be about right for me but you can go longer to get more coffee flavor.  Let your palate be your guide.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline Tfwebster

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2020, 10:16:56 am »
Thanks and shout out to Akron from a former resident of Medina.
If reading about homebrewing is your thing, join Brewer's Book Club at  https://www.facebook.com/groups/754108348475546/

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2020, 09:33:30 am »
Thanks and shout out to Akron from a former resident of Medina.
Where did you live in Medina?  I grew up there, actually in Abbeyville where Lagerheada is.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline Tfwebster

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2020, 04:27:18 pm »
About a mile from Heritage Elementary School. Late 70s/early 80s. Great place to be a kid!