Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Every thing wrong w/ the beer industry in a single sentence  (Read 1599 times)

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Every thing wrong w/ the beer industry in a single sentence
« on: October 10, 2020, 09:50:58 am »

Offline TANSTAAFB

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Every thing wrong w/ the beer industry in a single sentence
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2020, 10:05:12 am »
LMAO...yup

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

narvin

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2020, 11:15:26 am »
But is there lactose in it?

Offline waltsmalt

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2020, 11:31:43 am »
Have yet to try a seltzer.  I think it will go the way of wine coolers of the 80s as their appeal is to finicky crowd that only wants to drink what everyone else is drinking.  My friend and I have always joked that the best name for a beer would be “What She’s Having”

On the flip side, the margins are high on these and breweries are using as a way to increase margins and sustain themselves through the downturn in on premise consumption.  I’m OK with it, it’s just not for me.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2020, 02:30:58 pm »
Hahahahaha! Totally agree, Tommy!

I brewed ... well, made my first seltzer over the summer for Serda Brewing in Mobile, AL. The only challenging part was getting the nutrient additions in at the right time. Turned out just like a seltzer - slight yellow tinge since I couldn't filter it. Not something I enjoy drinking but its appeals to the kids for certain.

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2020, 03:41:53 pm »
I was half joking.  I can at least understand seltzer even if I don’t want any. But, the cannabis infused part sounds gross. I cannot see how that would taste good.

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2020, 01:51:42 pm »
Have yet to try a seltzer.  I think it will go the way of wine coolers of the 80s as their appeal is to finicky crowd that only wants to drink what everyone else is drinking.  My friend and I have always joked that the best name for a beer would be “What She’s Having”

On the flip side, the margins are high on these and breweries are using as a way to increase margins and sustain themselves through the downturn in on premise consumption.  I’m OK with it, it’s just not for me.
Ditto, except I’ve tried some, they’re extremely light in flavor and body, not my cup of tea, but to each their own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2020, 03:46:15 pm »
The only seltzer I will ever have is called Alka.

Offline TANSTAAFB

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2020, 03:53:36 pm »
Meh, they aren't beer but they have their place. I drink a ton of non alcoholic seltzer water (Topo Chico is the best NA beverage on the planet. Fight me ) and it's nice to have a low calorie spiked drink on hot days or when trying to shed a few pounds. I've even made a couple of kegs with filtered water, some mineral additions, and a handle of Deep Eddy lemon vodka. But PBR cannabis infused hard seltzer? Does it come with non GMO mustache wax and artisanal clam diggers?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Offline Bilsch

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2020, 08:26:19 pm »
Has anyone ever made a glitter seltzer? Now that would be awesome.

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2020, 09:26:46 pm »
When a homebrewer goes on a keto diet, trying out some seltzers is necessary. Before trying seltzer, i was drinking straight bourbon or scotch and drinking those like beer(thats a recipe for disaster). Trying seltzer made it almost feel like I had a beer in my hand. Brand of choice is Corona (zero carb, very keto friendly.) Certainly no beer taste to it at all, just a familiar feeling in my hand. They are generally over-carbed to the point of intestinal distress after a couple,  but still fits the bill occasionally.

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk

Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2020, 08:26:42 am »
The only seltzer I will ever have is called Alka.

Right on!
It's easier to get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2020, 08:31:39 am »
When a homebrewer goes on a keto diet, trying out some seltzers is necessary. Before trying seltzer, i was drinking straight bourbon or scotch and drinking those like beer(thats a recipe for disaster). Trying seltzer made it almost feel like I had a beer in my hand. Brand of choice is Corona (zero carb, very keto friendly.) Certainly no beer taste to it at all, just a familiar feeling in my hand. They are generally over-carbed to the point of intestinal distress after a couple,  but still fits the bill occasionally.

That's why I keep a keg of carbed water on hand.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

narvin

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2020, 09:11:25 am »

Yep, I definitely got hooked on seltzer (NA) when I used to go into the office, so I had to make some for home.  Also very convenient for cocktails.  I haven't every added just vodka to it, but to each their own.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2020, 09:47:24 am »

Yep, I definitely got hooked on seltzer (NA) when I used to go into the office, so I had to make some for home.  Also very convenient for cocktails.  I haven't every added just vodka to it, but to each their own.

I also use it to dilute beer when I want to go low alcohol.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell