Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Sanitized water in airlock  (Read 2595 times)

Offline Hopspringseternal

• Cellarman
  • Hopsringseternal
Sanitized water in airlock
« on: October 21, 2020, 09:34:31 am »
I'm using a Grainfather conical fermenter.  When I dumped some spent yeast today I think the vacuum that created sucked a little water through the airlock into the fermenter.  Since it was just tap water I'm a little concerned about contamination.  For this reason is it best to use sanitized water in the airlock?  A friend of mine used to put some vodka in his airlock...
Hopspringseternal

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Sanitized water in airlock
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2020, 09:47:12 am »
No problem.  I use plain tap water 99% of the time.  By the time you dump trub, fermentation has been taking place.  Between the low pH and alcohol created by that you're fine.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline lupulus

• Brewer
  • Think like a proton, stay positive!
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2020, 10:12:35 am »
Theoretically, you should use a media in which neither bacteria nor fungi can grow.
Water was sanitized when you put it but, again, bacteria and fungi can grow in it.

Practically,  I would agree that it's very unlikely that such minor contamination, if any, can take hold in fermented beer.

My bet is you'll be ok.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”  Neil deGrasse Tyson

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2020, 10:27:44 am »
I used standard tap water in my airlocks all the time without any worries about anything growing in them. Yeah, it's obviously best not have it sucked back in but for the most part if the airlock as been covered there's not much, if anything, going on in the airlock water.

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2020, 10:51:00 am »
Since I just brewed, I always have a batch of iodophor/water solution just sitting there so I use it in the blowoff jar (airlock).

Offline Hopspringseternal

• Cellarman
  • Hopsringseternal
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2020, 11:12:53 am »
Thanks one and all for your helpful replies and for easing my concern about the unsanitized airlock water that may have made its way into my fermenter.  Much appreciated.  This Forum is great!
Hopspringseternal

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2020, 12:06:03 pm »
Over the last few years, I have gone to a cornie keg with sanitizer as my blow off arrangement, because I ferment with more than enough head space in my fermenter.  The CO2 of fermentation blows the sanitizer our of the keg and into a collection bucket that doubles as my airlock and the CO2 in the keg puts a little CO2 pressure on the keg and fermenter (make sure your fermenter can handle the pressure, if you switch to a spunding valve prior to final gravity).  I have never had any suck back into the fermenter or cornie keg in the course of cooling the fermenter, using a long dispense line from the keg into the bucket (when not spunding).  I can't remember who mentioned the idea, but it was someone on here!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Titanium Brewing

• Assistant Brewer
  • Westchester, CA
    • The Peoples Republic of the Garage™
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2020, 12:53:46 pm »
I've always used cheap bottom shelf vodka for my airlocks.
AHA #210799

My wife said I was delusional. I almost fell off my unicorn laughing.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2020, 01:01:31 pm »

Did that for a while.  Once the bottle ran out I switched to water....no difference

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HighVoltageMan!

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2020, 01:15:09 pm »

Did that for a while.  Once the bottle ran out I switched to water....no difference

I put cheap Vodka in the air lock, probably don't have to, but what the hell. If I didn't, I'd have to drink that crap and I certainly don't want to be accused of alcohol abuse.

Offline joe_meadmaker

• Brewer
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2020, 03:20:23 pm »
I also use a cheap vodka in airlocks.  What got me in the habit of using vodka was from storing mead in carboys for months at a time.  On more than one occasion I had mold start to develop in the airlock.  No issues like that when using vodka.  So I just use it for all airlocks now.

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2020, 04:25:17 pm »
I use "canned water" in my airlocks. Every now and then I boil up a pot of water, then put it into small sanitized canning jars and seal them up. When I need some sanitized water for an airlock or for rehydrating dry yeast I just open one of the jars and pour it out. If I had vodka around I would use that in my airlocks, but I usually don't.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2020, 04:56:05 pm »
I use "canned water" in my airlocks. Every now and then I boil up a pot of water, then put it into small sanitized canning jars and seal them up. When I need some sanitized water for an airlock or for rehydrating dry yeast I just open one of the jars and pour it out. If I had vodka around I would use that in my airlocks, but I usually don't.

That's WAY too organized!  :)  Great idea.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2020, 09:21:54 am »

But can't the water become "contaminated" while in the airlock?  Maybe I am missing something...
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2020, 11:59:39 am »
I'll give another vote for vodka.  I've never had an issue with water in the airlock, but I keep a handle of the cheapest vodka available in my brewery for airlocks.  Beyond having to explain why I have a handle of Wolfschmidt, there is no downside.  I think it was like $12 or $15 for the handle and it lasts along time.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton