Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: C148 hops?  (Read 3316 times)

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
Re: C148 hops?
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2020, 09:52:26 am »
It's interesting because I have never seen this type of hop blending... taking multiple hops and blending them to make a "new hop".  I have heard of breeding new hops with characteristics from other hops but not this.

YCH, in particular, has been pushing forward with hop blends as an interesting way to generate new flavor profiles without the 10 year breeding process. You'll see from things like - 7C's, ClusterFugget, Falconer's Flight, Pacific Crest, Pink Boots, Veteran's Blend, Zythos, etc.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2020, 10:00:42 am »
Any info about where the C148 came from ?  Farm or wholesaler?
No info on that.  And that brings me to another question for whoever knows...

Is Edelweiss a specific hop variety or does Ted just throw six different hop varieties (Liberty, Santiam, Crystal, Mt. Hood, whatever) into a machine and pelletize them?  The answer might explain C148... maybe it really *IS* Citra and Simcoe mixed together.  I assumed that these were bred varieties all along.

Ted does not make any blends.  He buys them that way.

I believe he advertises edelweiss as his own proprietary blend.

Really?  Obviously news to me.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2020, 10:01:57 am »
It's interesting because I have never seen this type of hop blending... taking multiple hops and blending them to make a "new hop".  I have heard of breeding new hops with characteristics from other hops but not this.

YCH, in particular, has been pushing forward with hop blends as an interesting way to generate new flavor profiles without the 10 year breeding process. You'll see from things like - 7C's, ClusterFugget, Falconer's Flight, Pacific Crest, Pink Boots, Veteran's Blend, Zythos, etc.

And the blends for Falconer, VB, and Pink Boots varies from year to year.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2020, 10:25:20 am »
Interesting.  I hear some brewers mention that if you can't get the freshest hop for your style (say, SAAZ for a Czech Pils) then get an alternative that is very fresh like Sterling or Santiam or whatever.  Edelweiss could be that hop... noble in character and lineage and fresher than something grown in Europe.  I know that some people order ultra-fresh hops directly from farms in Europe but for the rest of us this could be a nice alternative.  Really looking forward to using both the C148 and Edelweiss. 
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2020, 10:46:53 am »
Any info about where the C148 came from ?  Farm or wholesaler?
No info on that.  And that brings me to another question for whoever knows...

Is Edelweiss a specific hop variety or does Ted just throw six different hop varieties (Liberty, Santiam, Crystal, Mt. Hood, whatever) into a machine and pelletize them?  The answer might explain C148... maybe it really *IS* Citra and Simcoe mixed together.  I assumed that these were bred varieties all along.

Ted does not make any blends.  He buys them that way.

I believe he advertises edelweiss as his own proprietary blend.

Really?  Obviously news to me.
This is also what I heard, I think from Ted.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2020, 11:30:50 am »

Ive tried a couple beers made with this from during a homebrew club tasting and was impressed.

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2020, 01:46:32 pm »
Ive tried a couple beers made with this from during a homebrew club tasting and was impressed.

You know ClusterFugget has to be impressive if it makes a dedicated Fuggles hater like Denny like it. :)
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2020, 02:17:51 pm »

You know ClusterFugget has to be impressive if it makes a dedicated Fuggles hater like Denny like it. :)

Yep!  Impressive.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Northern_Brewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • British - apparently some US company stole my name
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2020, 04:46:43 am »
Because I'm a bad, bad person, all this talk of Edelweiss and beer makes me think of one thing :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuWrg80dXeU

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2020, 08:50:51 am »
Got a half pound of these with my order as well. I’m going to try to do a pale ale with them in the next month to judge em

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2020, 09:07:27 am »
Got a half pound of these with my order as well. I’m going to try to do a pale ale with them in the next month to judge em
Ooh, nice.  I am currently carbing a pale ale that I made with them.  Bitter addition, 10, 5, whirlpool and DH in the fermenter.  I mentioned on the other board that when I opened the fermenter with the DH in there it smelled like legit Fruity Pebbles or Trix.  I was not expecting that.  I made this beer for my wife because she likes citrusy pale ales but I really hope this beer doesn't remind her of childhood breakfast cereals.  :D  I will report back once I sample it. 
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2020, 11:08:20 am »
this gives me pause to use them, I dont like over the top fruity hops. when I heard dank and citrus I thought they may be less tropical fruit driven

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2020, 11:35:34 am »
this gives me pause to use them, I dont like over the top fruity hops. when I heard dank and citrus I thought they may be less tropical fruit driven
It could have also been the STRONG smell that was coming from a fermenter filled with yeast and hops.  I'll say this... when I opened the C148 hops I got 'dank and citrus'.  When I used them in the boil I got 'dank and citrus'.  When I prepared the hops for the DH I got the same character.  When I opened the fermenter after 3-4 days of DH then I got the Fruity Pebbles but I grabbed the muslin bag and put it into a plastic grocery bag in my beer bunker... harvested my yeast, cleaned the fermenter and other equipment and a couple hours later walked into my beer bunker and the whole room smelled like citrusy hops and the smell was very good.  I stuck my nose into that bag and the aroma was nice.  I'm not concerned at the moment although I admit that I never know what my wife will like or not like.  Again, I'll report back. 
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline RBQChicken

• 1st Kit
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2020, 08:53:27 am »
So, how did the beer turn out?

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2020, 09:26:03 am »
So, how did the beer turn out?
It's still in the on-deck fridge.  I am waiting for my wife to finish the Amarillo-Citra Pale Ale that she's drinking but she seems to be on a wine kick right now.  I have started having a few of the pale ale on tap now to hurry things along.  It will be on tap shortly and I will report back. 
Ken from Chicago.