Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: C148 hops?  (Read 3315 times)

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
C148 hops?
« on: November 02, 2020, 02:10:02 pm »
I placed an order with Hop Heaven for 8 ounces of Edelweiss hops.  The package arrived today and in the envelope there was a gift of 8 ounces of 'experimental' C148 hops which was very nice of Ted and his team.  I found very few Google results about this but what I got suggests that they're 'dank and citrusy'.  They're 10.7%.  I might just open the vac-sealed bags, give them a sniff and vac them back up again.  I found an old post from 2016 HERE on AHA where erockrph was brewing with experimental hops and mentioned C148 being another one that was coming up.  Has anyone brewed with these?  Any thoughts?
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
Re: C148 hops?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2020, 02:11:39 pm »
I placed an order with Hop Heaven for 8 ounces of Edelweiss hops.  The package arrived today and in the envelope there was a gift of 8 ounces of 'experimental' C148 hops which was very nice of Ted and his team.  I found very few Google results about this but what I got suggests that they're 'dank and citrusy'.  They're 10.7%.  I might just open the vac-sealed bags, give them a sniff and vac them back up again.  I found an old post from 2016 HERE on AHA where erockrph was brewing with experimental hops and mentioned C148 being another one that was coming up.  Has anyone brewed with these?  Any thoughts?
ne experience with C148 but his edelweiss blend is divine. I've won two BOS with those hops. I am about to order my 2020 hops from him.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2020, 02:14:03 pm »

Shoot Ted an email and ask him
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2020, 02:42:53 pm »

Good idea.  I just shot him an email.  I'm excited to brew with the Edelweiss hops... sounds like my kinda hop. 
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2020, 03:56:15 pm »

Good idea.  I just shot him an email.  I'm excited to brew with the Edelweiss hops... sounds like my kinda hop.
He sent some to me as well and I used them in a hoppy APA, but I can’t remember anything in particular about that beer.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2020, 04:13:27 pm »
Okay, my curiosity got the best of me so I opened them.  First off, they were vac-sealed in a bag and then that bag was in another vac-sealed bag.  I'm not an expert on 'dank and citrusy' hops but these seem very fresh and aromatic and they seem very much like Citra with maybe some Simcoe thrown in.   They also were like a giant mass of hops.  They were pelletized but it was like a block of soft pellets all stuck together.  Interesting.  I put them in a new vac-sealed bag.  I'll probably make an APA with them and probably do a DH on it.  I did not open the Edelweiss but might do that later.  Not sure what to do with the Edelweiss but a Blonde Ale comes to mind.  Maybe some kind of "American Wheat" with Edelweiss to bitter and then again late. 
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2020, 05:18:45 pm »
Okay, my curiosity got the best of me so I opened them.  First off, they were vac-sealed in a bag and then that bag was in another vac-sealed bag.  I'm not an expert on 'dank and citrusy' hops but these seem very fresh and aromatic and they seem very much like Citra with maybe some Simcoe thrown in.   They also were like a giant mass of hops.  They were pelletized but it was like a block of soft pellets all stuck together.  Interesting.  I put them in a new vac-sealed bag.  I'll probably make an APA with them and probably do a DH on it.  I did not open the Edelweiss but might do that later.  Not sure what to do with the Edelweiss but a Blonde Ale comes to mind.  Maybe some kind of "American Wheat" with Edelweiss to bitter and then again late.

Edelweiss works in anything you want a noble hop aroma in, its very versatile. Saisons, lagers, pilsners, stouts, blondes, its a great blend.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2020, 05:39:38 pm »

Edelweiss works in anything you want a noble hop aroma in, its very versatile. Saisons, lagers, pilsners, stouts, blondes, its a great blend.
Your comments just made me go open the Edelweiss.  Intoxicating.  Fresh.  Again, stuck together.  Aromatic and vibrant.  I have some older-school hops in the house like Glacier, Ultra and Santiam.  I had a blonde ale in mind originally with Ultra.  Then I re-wrote the recipe with Santiam.  Now I want to make it with Edelweiss.  :D  The other option is to just make a non-descript gold lager with Bayern yeast and add some Edelweiss late so it shines.  Looking forward to this.  Cheers.
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2020, 10:04:57 am »
Any info about where the C148 came from ?  Farm or wholesaler?

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2020, 02:18:21 pm »
No info on that.  And that brings me to another question for whoever knows...

Is Edelweiss a specific hop variety or does Ted just throw six different hop varieties (Liberty, Santiam, Crystal, Mt. Hood, whatever) into a machine and pelletize them?  The answer might explain C148... maybe it really *IS* Citra and Simcoe mixed together.  I assumed that these were bred varieties all along. 
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2020, 03:59:08 pm »

Is Edelweiss a specific hop variety or does Ted just throw six different hop varieties (Liberty, Santiam, Crystal, Mt. Hood, whatever) into a machine and pelletize them?  The answer might explain C148... maybe it really *IS* Citra and Simcoe mixed together.  I assumed that these were bred varieties all along.

Edelweiss is a blend of various domestic hops. I dont think he's public about which hops, but whatever they are, they work wonderfully.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2020, 05:56:05 pm »
Unfortunately, I never did get around to brewing with that sample of C148. I got them from Pat from the Oregon Hophouse right before my wife got a really bad Crohn's flare that kept me from doing much brewing for a few years. When I got them I was brewing 5-10 single-hop batches a year and posting my tasting notes here and on my blog. Pat had sent me a sample of X-17 the year before, and they were phenomenal. I'm due for a freezer cleanout, so if I find my sample in there I will definitely give it a go this spring.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2020, 08:46:38 am »

Ted does not make any blends.  He buys them that way.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2020, 09:17:20 am »

I believe he advertises edelweiss as his own proprietary blend.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2020, 09:39:15 am »

I believe he advertises edelweiss as his own proprietary blend.
It's interesting because I have never seen this type of hop blending... taking multiple hops and blending them to make a "new hop".  I have heard of breeding new hops with characteristics from other hops but not this.  I also thought I saw something on his site or eBay page that said something about "Ted Hausotter - Hop Breeder"... something like that.  Anyway, I drew up a recipe for a gold lager where I will use Edelweiss exclusively.  About 20 IBUs to bitter and then two ounces late for about 26 IBUs total.  It should give the hops a chance to stand on their own. 
Ken from Chicago.