Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Propylene Glycol Alternative for glycol chiller.  (Read 2643 times)

Offline traftas

• Cellarman
Propylene Glycol Alternative for glycol chiller.
« on: November 10, 2020, 02:38:24 pm »
I recently built the above to cold crash my beer and also to maintain proper temp during fermentation. I was surprised to learn that Prop Glycol is ~$25/gallon  ???. I was winterizing my RV last week and purchased RV antifreeze (the red stuff) to run through the looking water lines. I noticed that the antifreeze lists Prop Glycol as one of the ingredients. The antifreeze depending on brand is good to 50 below or more. I purchased 4 gallons at ~$3.00 /gallon. Has anyone tried this as nan alternative?
TRaftman😎

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
Re: Propylene Glycol Alternative for glycol chiller.
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2020, 02:44:29 pm »
I think the difference you should be concerned about is how poisonous it is, not how much it costs.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline rungdalek

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2020, 02:52:14 pm »
What are the other ingredients?  The PG may be non-toxic but if the other ingredients are not listed it's probably a no-go as they may be things like silicates and dyes, etc...

https://www.dynalene.com/news/2015/06/ethylene-glycol-vs-propylene-glycol-vs-food-grade-glycol/

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2020, 06:54:26 pm »
Depends on the manner of chilling.  I use it in a wrap around the outside of the fermenter - a cooling jacket that allows for flow through and return to a reservoir I put in a small fridge with a pump back to the in tube.

Works great:

http://www.gotta-brew.com/products/conical-cooling-jacket.html

Cheers.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2020, 07:32:39 pm »
As long as it never comes in contact with the beer it it fine. But you better make sure it never comes in contact with the beer. Glycol tastes weirdly sweet - I'd think you would know immediately if you ever had some in your beer. And if you are absolutely sure to check the level and verify it stays the same you will know it isn't leaking.

All that said, if you poison yourself that's on you. ;)

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2020, 07:35:11 pm »
I ferment in stainless so I can’t imagine how any would get into the fermenter...if a leak were to develop it would be on the outside of the fermenter onto my garage floor...lastly, I close loop transfer, so my beer doesn’t see O2 (unless I goof up).  I would more likely be poisoned in my brewery by a cleaner or sanitizer, frankly.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2020, 07:37:29 pm by ynotbrusum »
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline HighVoltageMan!

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2020, 05:54:31 am »
The glycol you buy for hydronic systems such as floor heat have anti-corrosion compounds and are intended to last a while. The RV antifreeze is used to protect drains, has no anti-corrosion additives and is intended for short term use. It can't be used to heat (Max temp is 120F), but that's not you intention.

Both are non-toxic. Remember that the hydronic glycol can be diluted with water, reducing it's cost. It can also last for many years. Cryo-Tech 100 can be purchased at a lot of home improvement stores. I doubt you need more than 2 gallons total. 50/50 mix can go down to 10F or lower and is pumpable down to 5F. Burst is at -20. If you do a 60/40 mix it's good to 0F, pumpable to -10F and has a burst of -40F. I can get a gallon for @ $19. Pretty cheap overall.

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2020, 06:23:25 am »
I use propylene glycol from Tractor Supply. $25 a gallon. It is used internally for horses and or cattle. Obviously safe if we inadvertently ingested. I have had the original glycol in my chiller since I built it, no problems. IMHO, I would spend the money and err on the side of caution.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2020, 06:34:45 am »
I use propylene glycol from Tractor Supply. $25 a gallon. It is used internally for horses and or cattle. Obviously safe if we inadvertently ingested. I have had the original glycol in my chiller since I built it, no problems. IMHO, I would spend the money and err on the side of caution.
Right. Even the cheapest DIY glycol chiller build out has to run over a hundred bucks, right? I don't get where you'd want to cut corners to save a few bucks on the potentially toxic stuff.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2020, 06:53:25 am »
Spend the extra money and get the good stuff.  Don't cut corners here.

Another thing to remember is that antifreeze is lethal to dogs.  So if you have a leak in the glycol system in your garage, you could poison you pet if it drinks it.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2020, 07:53:23 am »
Another thing about the toxic variety: since it is sweet you need to be very careful its not spilled for animals to get into or children to find.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline HighVoltageMan!

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2020, 08:25:39 am »
I think people are getting ethylene glycol and propylene glycol mixed up. Car antifreeze is ethylene glycol, it has better heat transfer, is toxic and tastes sweet. Propylene glycol is used in hydronic systems (floor heat/hot water heat), in drains, as a cosmetic additive and even as a food additive. It has a lower heat transfer ability, gets viscous at lower temperatures and is not preferred in cars for those reasons.

I would recommend getting propylene glycol that is intended to be used in a heat and cooling system, not RV antifreeze. Even if you spill it, it won't kill your dog.

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2020, 12:53:10 pm »

Is that how McDonalds gets fresh, never frozen beef?

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2020, 07:19:25 pm »
they call it the austrian method of wort chilling

Offline traftas

• Cellarman
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2020, 08:57:43 pm »
I ferment in a Spike CF5 and the glycol enters the fermenter thru the coiling coil. There is virtually very little risk of a  leak into the beer. If it did leak it would be obvious. The RV antifreeze in that it is used in the fresh water system is non toxic and safe. I currently use Prop Glycol that I purchase at Tractor Supply. While the initial investment is high at $25 a gallon. I can likely continue to reuse it as long as it is kept clean and stored properly. Probably will stick with that.
TRaftman😎