Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Life is too short....  (Read 1630 times)

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
Re: Life is too short....
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2020, 06:49:54 pm »
Dumping a keg of beer when I was a newbie brewer made me nauseous.  I could not believe I would spend that time and money and effort on making beer and then dump it out.  That was when my kids were little and I had less money, etc. and it just seemed like a crazy thing to do... make a keg of beer and then throw it down the drain.  :P
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2020, 04:30:06 am »
Good call and don’t look back.  I dump more beer than some of my close friends make - and they drink my beer!  Any flavor issue, it’s gone.  On tap too long - it’s gone.  Just tired of it and no one is drinking it - out it goes.  I also don’t eat stale bread and a fair amount of leftover meals go into the garbage.  Good and fresh is what I prefer, mediocre and any hint of staling is what I don’t.  First world problems, indeed.

Caveat: some beers improve with a little lagering and I will give them that chance.  I have 17 5 gallon cornies, 2 smaller kegs, 3 chest freezers and a four tap kegerator, so I am rarely out of space.  A beer doesn’t have to be a best of show to stay in my pipeline, but it should be something I wouldn’t be afraid to enter in a competition.

Others who brew less frequently may feel otherwise, but I am blessed with the time and resources to be selective. Cheers to great beer!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline rungdalek

• Cellarman
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2020, 07:18:05 am »
I've never dumped a beer in my entire brewing career.  Not once.  Everything I do is perfect and low oxygen.  Don't you forget it.

Well yeah, and I have some ocean property to sell....

Meh, use to feel guilty about it but it's just a regular occurrence unless the beer is stellar, out of the park homerun, which happens more frequently now... which still isn't very often... but maybe if I bought piece of equipment X or did process Y... thing is I can't ever replicate a stellar beer... it just happens and I don't really know why; all other variables being equal.  Yeah, maybe 1 in 10-20 are that good, everything else is definitely drinkable, haven't made an undrinkable beer yet... but you know what unless you're talking macro brews, Bud, Coors, Miller, etc... I'd say it's the same for most of the brew pubs I've been to.  Mostly drinkable, meh type beer, except that one which seems to stands out, often times it's the last one.  :P

Offline joe_meadmaker

• Brewer
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2020, 07:52:35 pm »
I think I'm in the same camp as most.  If I don't like the beer, I just don't drink it.  Whenever the next one comes up in line, the keg I don't like gets pulled and dumped.  There's always another beer to brew.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2020, 07:33:22 am »
I think I'm in the same camp as most.  If I don't like the beer, I just don't drink it.  Whenever the next one comes up in line, the keg I don't like gets pulled and dumped.  There's always another beer to brew.
This is me. I have a 3 tap kegerator and when my next brew is ready, I take a beer off and dump whatever is left in the keg. It could be the one closest to being kicked, it might be one that is most similar to the new beer I brewed, or it could just be one that I'm not enjoying as much as the others for any reason. I have no issues with pouring a gallon or two of my own beer down the drain for any reason.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2020, 07:44:22 am »
One thing I try very hard not to do... is leave that keg on one of my taps for some unknowing person to accidentally drink.  I really don't want any beer available to someone that I wouldn't drink myself and I certainly don't want to leave anyone with the impression that my beer tastes that way on a regular basis. 
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2020, 08:02:45 am »
One thing I try very hard not to do... is leave that keg on one of my taps for some unknowing person to accidentally drink.  I really don't want any beer available to someone that I wouldn't drink myself and I certainly don't want to leave anyone with the impression that my beer tastes that way on a regular basis.

Good point, Ken.  I go to the same school.  If the beer is not up to snuff, away it goes.  I don't like dumping a beer, but sometimes you just have to.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2020, 03:10:56 pm »

Good point, Ken.  I go to the same school.  If the beer is not up to snuff, away it goes.  I don't like dumping a beer, but sometimes you just have to.
That subpar beer is taking up valuable real estate in one of your kegs!  :D
Ken from Chicago.