Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Life is too short....  (Read 1631 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Life is too short....
« on: November 11, 2020, 02:14:46 pm »
To drink bad, or even mediocre, beer.  Just dumped 10 gal. of Vienna lager.  Not bad, but bland enough that I just wasn't drinking it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline purduekenn

• Brewer
Re: Life is too short....
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2020, 02:21:43 pm »
Thats too bad :(
Better to dump it than drink mediocre beer.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2020, 03:24:08 pm by purduekenn »

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2020, 02:27:27 pm »
What was the issue with it?  It's one of my favorite styles.  I have tried to "back-chloride" and "back-sulfate" a beer where I thought I whiffed on the water composition and I think I used hop extract in a beer where my IBUs were low and the beer was too malty. 
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline allenhuerta

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2020, 02:27:55 pm »
It's sad to see that big of a batch go down. I had to do that with a Weizenbock that failed not long ago... I need to try that again.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2020, 02:30:39 pm »
What was the issue with it?  It's one of my favorite styles.  I have tried to "back-chloride" and "back-sulfate" a beer where I thought I whiffed on the water composition and I think I used hop extract in a beer where my IBUs were low and the beer was too malty.

Mainly just bland due to dickchimping the water profile.  It had been on tap for 6 weeks and every time I went for a beer I got something else.  Finally decided to cut my losses and reclaim the space.  I've got close to 40 gal. of other beers on hand.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Online BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2020, 03:02:01 pm »
I have a keg of ‘I hope it gets better with time’ in the conditioning fridge now.

I tapped it a few weeks ago and it was OK but like you said I kept pouring from another keg.

So, I leap frogged it with another beer and put it back in the conditioning side.

I am about to kick the keg I’ve been leaning on so it’ll come back into rotation for another chance. We’ll see how some time out treated it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline purduekenn

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2020, 03:23:27 pm »
I'm glad you have other beers to drink.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2020, 03:39:56 pm »
It's been awhile since I had a dumper but I have had some 'not-as-good-as-I-hoped' batches.  When that happens I tend to just drink it anyway as long as it's still decent.  If it's got an issue that makes it undrinkable, down it goes into the toilet.  Hey, it would have ended up there anyway.  :D
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2020, 03:44:36 pm »
I totally agree. Not too long ago, I posted about how I had to dump two 5 gallon batches. The beer and cider that took their place in the kegerator have been very enjoyable. Early on in my brewing, I thought it would be wasteful to dump beers that were less than desirable and just power slowly through them. Now at my age I think I’ve gained some wisdom and I don’t have time for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan Chisholm

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2020, 04:15:55 pm »
It's been awhile since I had a dumper but I have had some 'not-as-good-as-I-hoped' batches.  When that happens I tend to just drink it anyway as long as it's still decent.  If it's got an issue that makes it undrinkable, down it goes into the toilet.  Hey, it would have ended up there anyway.  :D

If I didn't have anything else around, it would had have been OK.  But I have so much beer at the moment I just didn't need it.  Why ingest calories you don't enjoy?

www.dennybrew.com

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2020, 04:16:32 pm »
I agree so very much!  If it isn't great beer then why bother?!  I've dumped plenty of beer.  I just dumped 3 gallons recently, which was drinkable and I could have tried to "fix" but figured, nah, that's a pain in the a$$, so I just dumped it.  Certainly if I would have to choke it down, it's gone.  But even mediocre beer just ain't worth it.

I've also reached a decision recently that I need to stock more commercial German lagers, because that's what I love above all else, yet I never seem to have any around.... because I probably had some and drank it all already because it was better than everything else!  After 46 years on this earth I'm finally starting to wise up a bit.

Cheers all.  :)
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2020, 04:19:44 pm »
dickchimping

I'm going to leave it right there!!

LOL!

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2020, 04:45:25 pm »
Funny, as I was reading this post, I was sipping on recently tapped, Vienna-ish amber lager that, although perfectly fine and well-brewed, just isn't doing anything for me. And so, it has been targeted for termination. It's my Sarah Connor Lager.

Every sip of an alcoholic beverage does damage to the body (more than people realize, trust me). My philosophy for a long time now has been to make every sip count. If I'm going to drink a beer--commercial or homebrew--it has to seriously wow me. Otherwise, it's not worth the bodily damage. I've been brewing for a long time now, so fortunately, most of my beers do wow me. But some are definitely meh. Funny how a recipe can taste great in your mind but not in the glass.

Also fortunately, I'm able to brew so often that when I do have to dump a beer, it's not long before another, likely better one, takes its place.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2020, 04:59:28 pm »
Funny, as I was reading this post, I was sipping on recently tapped, Vienna-ish amber lager that, although perfectly fine and well-brewed, just isn't doing anything for me. And so, it has been targeted for termination. It's my Sarah Connor Lager.

Every sip of an alcoholic beverage does damage to the body (more than people realize, trust me). My philosophy for a long time now has been to make every sip count. If I'm going to drink a beer--commercial or homebrew--it has to seriously wow me. Otherwise, it's not worth the bodily damage. I've been brewing for a long time now, so fortunately, most of my beers do wow me. But some are definitely meh. Funny how a recipe can taste great in your mind but not in the glass.

Also fortunately, I'm able to brew so often that when I do have to dump a beer, it's not long before another, likely better one, takes its place.
My father is 92 and loves his beer.  People ask him his secret and he always says "the golden elixir!".  I know you're correct that the body is damaged by alcohol but it's gotta be doing SOMETHING good too.  :D
Ken from Chicago. 

Online BrewBama

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2020, 05:24:28 pm »
Funny how a recipe can taste great in your mind but not in the glass.

+1