Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Latest Thoughts on ph Meters  (Read 1311 times)

Offline waltsmalt

• Assistant Brewer
Latest Thoughts on ph Meters
« on: November 16, 2020, 05:49:38 am »
I currently have a ph Meter from Thermoworks (model 8689) and it was $85 brand new.  Replaced the electrode, but I believe I let that one dry out.  Now at a point where I’m thinking about replacing the electrode again ($29) or buying a whole new meter.  I can’t say I was highly satisfied with this meter when it was working as it seemed to take forever for it to settle on the measured ph.  Admittedly this is the first ph meter that I owned.

Before doing anything I wanted to find out if people held any new opinions on the best ph meter for the money and whether you would recommend just replacing the electrode again.

P.S. I do love my Thermoworks stuff (thermapen, dot, smoke, and billows) and think they make high quality stuff. 

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Latest Thoughts on ph Meters
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2020, 06:27:38 am »
I have a Thermoworks but was never satisfied with it. So, when my probe failed I went with Milwaukee. I am very pleased with it.

Either way the probe definitely has to be stored wet. I store my Milwaukee probe in an old yeast nutrient vial. I change the solution every brewday (~3 weeks).

However, I find myself not even taking Ph readings on some beers. I used to take multiple readings per brewday but now I may test the 20 min sample.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: November 16, 2020, 06:30:54 am by BrewBama »

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Latest Thoughts on ph Meters
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2020, 08:22:41 am »
I have a Milwaukee SM-102 pH meter which I bought new-in-the-box from a local brew club member that was getting rid of his homebrewing stuff and am extremely happy with it.  I used to use a Hanna hand held one (which I still have) but was never really happy with it.  I just replaced the probe on the Milwaukee after about 3 years (they normally say every two years but with extra care I can get an additional year out of it).  You will know that it is time to replace the probe when it takes a long time to calibrate the meter.  I think I paid something like $40 for the new probe on Amazon.

The probe needs to be kept wet. I use a pH probe storage solution which is a solution of potassium chloride and is recommended for them.  You can find this stuff at your LHBS and it is not that expensive.  Do not use distilled water.  Also make sure you cool the solution you are measuring to room temperature before taking a reading as high temperatures will reduce the life of the probe.  There was a pretty extensive discussion on storing pH meter probes on this forum about a year ago.  Search the archives.

I calibrate mine once a month with both the pH 7 and pH 4 buffers to maintain accuracy.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline EnkAMania

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2020, 09:17:01 am »
I have the Milwaukee 102 as well and have been happy with it.  I store it in storage solution in a glass spice bottle.  The only thing I don't like about it, is the long cord.  I've knocked over samples more than once.
Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2020, 09:58:16 am »
I have a cheap $15 meter from Amazon, and it's worked great for more than 2 years.  If it fails, I will buy a new one, exact same model, because why blow more money than that on something that actually does work.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2020, 07:52:54 pm »
I got Apera Instruments more then year ago. Very happy with it. Very quick read easy calibrate. Accurate.

Apera Instruments AI311 PH60 Premium Waterproof pH Pocket Tester, Replaceable Probe, ±0.01 pH Accuracy, -2.00-16.00 pH Range

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01ENFOIQE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_n8Z6Rpv6prV7v
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline waltsmalt

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2020, 05:20:59 am »
I got Apera Instruments more then year ago. Very happy with it. Very quick read easy calibrate. Accurate.

Apera Instruments AI311 PH60 Premium Waterproof pH Pocket Tester, Replaceable Probe, ±0.01 pH Accuracy, -2.00-16.00 pH Range

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2020, 07:43:18 am »
I have the Milwaukee 102 as well and have been happy with it.  I store it in storage solution in a glass spice bottle.  The only thing I don't like about it, is the long cord.  I've knocked over samples more than once.

When I bought a new probe for mine, it came immersed in a vial of storage solution.  The vial has a cap that can be tightened around the shaft of the probe to keep it from leaking and also prevents the dreaded crust of potassium chloride from forming on the probe shaft outside of the vial.  I use that to store the probe and it is a great feature.

With my old Hanna meter, I had to put a layer of electrical tape on the outside of the storage cap that covers the probe to prevent the solution from evaporating and forming the crusty mass on the outside of the cap.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2020, 08:16:02 am »

+1 on the Apera - inexpensive, accurate and works great. The replacement probe is reasonable too.