Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Shoutout to universal poppets  (Read 2221 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Shoutout to universal poppets
« on: November 16, 2020, 12:22:53 pm »
God, I love these things. Finally all my kegs are functional again!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
Re: Shoutout to universal poppets
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2020, 02:25:41 pm »
really?? I hate them. The 3 pieces are too easy to lose and I feel like they are more prone to not seal compared to the one piece.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2020, 02:27:05 pm »
really?? I hate them. The 3 pieces are too easy to lose and I feel like they are more prone to not seal compared to the one piece.

All the ones I have are only 2 pieces and seal perfectly

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2020, 02:37:54 pm »
I was skeptical at first, but they have been in place for a couple of years and not a single leak. Mine too are 2 pieces.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline kpfoleyjr

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2020, 03:12:21 pm »
Just ordered a set to try on a keg that’s been difficult to connect to.  Thanks for the tip!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2020, 01:18:11 pm »
I replace the non-removable poppets in my AEB kegs with universal poppets.

Offline waltsmalt

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2020, 05:22:43 am »
Anyone have good luck on using these on a pin lock keg?  I was given a pin lock keg from a friend and purchased a new lid and universal poppets, but I’m having a touch time holding pressure.

Offline roger

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2020, 06:27:47 am »
I too recently tried a couple of universal poppets on one of my ball lock kegs, and agree they work well, unlike the originals the poppets don't leak. I hope they last half as long as the originals, although I have no reason to believe they won't.

One inconvenience is they take a different size socket to remove than the original ones. I know, I know, but now I have to keep 2 sockets in my brewroom until I replace the others.  ::)
Roger

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2020, 07:32:06 am »
One of my local brew buddies turned me on to these poppets several years ago.  I began changing out the original ones when they started to leak.  I now have most of the kegs done and I too love them!  They seal better than the original ones and are easier to remove, inspect, and clean.  Yeah, you have to be a bit more careful to insure you don't lose the parts when you disassemble them,  but that is just a minor issue with me.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2020, 01:19:19 pm »
I too recently tried a couple of universal poppets on one of my ball lock kegs, and agree they work well, unlike the originals the poppets don't leak. I hope they last half as long as the originals, although I have no reason to believe they won't.

One inconvenience is they take a different size socket to remove than the original ones. I know, I know, but now I have to keep 2 sockets in my brewroom until I replace the others.  ::)

Wait...the socket size is dependent on the posts, not the poppets isn't it?

www.dennybrew.com

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2020, 01:20:06 pm »
One of my local brew buddies turned me on to these poppets several years ago.  I began changing out the original ones when they started to leak.  I now have most of the kegs done and I too love them!  They seal better than the original ones and are easier to remove, inspect, and clean.  Yeah, you have to be a bit more careful to insure you don't lose the parts when you disassemble them,  but that is just a minor issue with me.

To me the big thing is I don't have to keep several different poppets in inventory and figure out which to use.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline roger

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2020, 03:57:14 pm »

Hmm, you got me there. Can you buy the poppets alone? I stopped at a HBS while travelling, and bought the post with poppets, which is what they had. Keeping 2 sockets was tongue-in cheek, the new posts are nice, just different size. Not a big investment, so I probable will still replace all the post/sockets with the same.
Roger

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2020, 08:40:08 am »

Hmm, you got me there. Can you buy the poppets alone? I stopped at a HBS while travelling, and bought the post with poppets, which is what they had. Keeping 2 sockets was tongue-in cheek, the new posts are nice, just different size. Not a big investment, so I probable will still replace all the post/sockets with the same.

Yesl you can buy just the poppets.  Much cheaper than the post.  If your LHBS doesn't sell them, check Amazon. That's where I got my last batch.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2020, 08:41:39 am »
Do you have a link Denny?  I am not in the market at the moment but someday I may have a need.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2020, 09:54:03 am »
Do you have a link Denny?  I am not in the market at the moment but someday I may have a need.

Can't seem to copy the link from my tablet, but I'll post it when I can get to my laptop.m ijj the meantime, look on Amazon for Jansamn.  They appear to have lot of different keg parts.  Buy local if possible, but if not....

www.dennybrew.com