Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Revisiting Bitters  (Read 3558 times)

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
Revisiting Bitters
« on: November 19, 2020, 05:45:04 pm »
I haven’t made any English Bitter or ESB in a very long time. It’s over ten years that I have made one in fact. I had a period of were I made quite a few, but I think I got burned out and started focusing on other styles. Anyways, I want to make one again because I would like a low alcohol beer that still has some flavor. My thoughts were Maris Otter and some Crystal for the grains, possibly a light hand of American hops (I don’t have any EKG or anything really similar), and Wyeast London Ale III. What suggestions do the British beer gurus have here for what works well with you regarding Malts, Hops, and yeast? I’m open for your thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan Chisholm

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
Re: Revisiting Bitters
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2020, 06:24:34 pm »
To me this is the
So much depends
Upon
A red wheel
Barrow
Glazed with rain
Water
Beside the white
Chickens
Of beers.

So few ingredients make such a complex and satisfying brew.
I keep getting simpler, skipping the crystal and going with 99% pale (or MO, Golden promise, etc) and 1% black malt for color. I am just getting into and loving wy1469.
That being said the beauty is you might like a little crystal or other yeasts. Wy1968 is a staple here.
I guess the one thing I highly recommend is buying some EKG for this. I like mixing it with Stygian good Golding.
Just thinking of this makes me want to draw a pint and throw some darts.

Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2020, 06:48:57 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions Pete. I have never tried WY 1469 and that sounds intriguing.  I also like the idea of using no crystal malt.

Dan Chisholm

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2020, 09:31:26 pm »
Personally, I like a bit of English crystal in my bitters. I use about 5-7% and I lean to the darker side. I used Simpson's DRC in my last ESB and I really enjoyed it.

For yeast 1469 is one of my favorites, but there are so many good yeasts that I really like in the style. 1968, WLP013 and Winsor with a copitch of Notty are all in my regular rotation.

As far as hops go, there are a lot of ways you can go. I almost always use some Goldings (EKG or Styrian), but I often spice things up with an American hop in combination. My favorites are Caliente and Meridian, since they both have a big stonefruit character that goes well with the esters of most English strains. Centennial also works pretty well in a bitter.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2020, 05:12:17 am »
Personally, I like a bit of English crystal in my bitters. I use about 5-7% and I lean to the darker side. I used Simpson's DRC in my last ESB and I really enjoyed it.

For yeast 1469 is one of my favorites, but there are so many good yeasts that I really like in the style. 1968, WLP013 and Winsor with a copitch of Notty are all in my regular rotation.

As far as hops go, there are a lot of ways you can go. I almost always use some Goldings (EKG or Styrian), but I often spice things up with an American hop in combination. My favorites are Caliente and Meridian, since they both have a big stonefruit character that goes well with the esters of most English strains. Centennial also works pretty well in a bitter.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
I am not advocating for no crystal, I plan on a lot of bitters and other English pale ales in my future, and some will certainly have crystal. I do encourage folks to try it without however, it’s amazing what a full bodied low abv beer you can make without it with English yeast strains and what I currently have on tap without crystal is my favorite so far.
Playing with American hops with this style is on my to do list although EKG will always be my go to, it’s probably my favorite hop. I even would like to try using this style as a base for a session ipa.
I have not tried the nitty/Windsor thing but plan on it. I like to keep dry yeasts around as a backup, and I think I will get some nutty and Windsor and drop s04.
Right now this is my favorite style to brew partly because it’s not something regular available commercially and partly because it is such a satisfying beer to have on tap.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2020, 06:33:04 am »
The last time I was in England I was surprised by the amount of American hops mentioned on the Handpump clips. I've done a few Bitters using American hops. The key is to not get heavy handed with the additions. 1 oz is often enought for 5 gallons. Split it so that you meet your IBU target at 60 minutes and the rest goes in at 10 minutes. A high AA hop like Ekuanot, for example, had 3/8 oz. at 60 and 5/8 oz at 10. I liked that bitter.

Another consideration is to use kettle sugars. Invert sugar appears in many old recipes for bitter. Consider invert #1 or #2 at 5 to 10% of the fermentables. Lyle's Golden syrup is close to #1. Invert sugars are available now from Adventures in Homebrewing.  You can make your own, it is not that difficult.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2020, 06:36:54 am »
The last time I was in England I was surprised by the amount of American hops mentioned on the Handpump clips. I've done a few Bitters using American hops. The key is to not get heavy handed with the additions. 1 oz is often enought for 5 gallons. Split it so that you meet your IBU target at 60 minutes and the rest goes in at 10 minutes. A high AA hop like Ekuanot, for example, had 3/8 oz. at 60 and 5/8 oz at 10. I liked that bitter.

Another consideration is to use kettle sugars. Invert sugar appears in many old recipes for bitter. Consider invert #1 or #2 at 5 to 10% of the fermentables. Lyle's Golden syrup is close to #1. Invert sugars are available now from Adventures in Homebrewing.  You can make your own, it is not that difficult.

The water profile needs enough SO4 to dry it out.

The yeast should be a British strain as discussed above, and I've used all of those. Next up is Imperial Pub ale, which is said to have that orange marmalade note I often get in England.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline ravenwater

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2020, 08:47:52 am »
For nontraditional, hops-wise I've liked Willamette because they have an herbal character I somewhat liken to EKG, and I've combined an herbal/floral/grassy hop with a bit of Amarillo because for me an orange/mandarin/marmalade plays well in a bitter if not done too heavy handed. I've used WLP013, described by White Labs as having an oak ester character which I definitely got - may not be something everyone loves but I enjoyed it (also liked it in a porter with Bramling Cross hops). Can't go wrong with the Fullers WLP002 for an appropriate English ester character. I also enjoy the Wyeast London ale III Boddington's yeast - has nice character on the not-so-strong side as English yeast go (IMO). I always go with a bit of crystal, never over 10%, and have made my own invert sugar which can add some caramel flavor as well if you darken it enough, though I really can't say it added anything to the beer I couldn't have gotten without it.
Shawn Crawford  -  Rio Rancho, NM.  
 BJCP, Worthogs Homebrew Club of New Mexico

Life is good. Beer makes it gooder.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2020, 09:00:44 am »

In regard to hops do you think American noble would work?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2020, 09:07:58 am »

In regard to hops do you think American noble would work?

I can't  say one way or the other. Might have to try that.

In the Lakes District i had several pints that used German hops. There were also beer with NZ and AU hops.

Always a light hand used.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2020, 09:09:19 am »
Dont sleep on US golding hops. they're wonderful
« Last Edit: November 20, 2020, 11:41:44 am by Cliffs »

Offline ulander6206

• Cellarman
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2020, 09:43:37 am »
My recipe for Ordinary Bitter includes a smidge of C120 and a smidge of brown malt. The intent is to give a bit of body and complexity  to such a low ABV beer as well as some color. My hopping schedule is pretty standard 3 additions of EKG for about 30 IBU's. Windsor yeast has a bit lower attenuation for body and a crystal clear finish. This recipe has won some medals over the years and sadly I don't brew it often enough.

Offline ravenwater

• Brewer
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2020, 11:08:59 am »
Dont slepp on US golding hops. they're wonderful

Though I switch the hops up from time to time, Golding (either US or East Kent) are indeed my much loved go-to hop for British bitters.
Shawn Crawford  -  Rio Rancho, NM.  
 BJCP, Worthogs Homebrew Club of New Mexico

Life is good. Beer makes it gooder.

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2020, 11:21:20 am »
I think I’m going to use some American Hops because I just got several pounds. I have Cascade, Amarillo, Idaho 7, Strata, Belma, and Zappa. My plan is around 30 IBU’s. Since it’s not too uncommon like Jeff mentioned, I thought it would interesting to see how the hops play with MO and English yeast.

Dan Chisholm

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2020, 11:57:34 am »
My next batch is going to be a bitter using mittlefruh.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women