Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: The "R" style replacement poppets for Cornelius and AEB kegs that Kegco sells  (Read 1306 times)

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
I am not certain if Kegco and The Beverage Factory are the only stores selling the poppet shown below, but it is supposed to be a removable direct replacement for the AEB poppets, which cannot be removed without having to purchase new poppets.  I do not care about AEB's warranty.  I care about being able to thoroughly clean my kegs without having to use a pump.   I replaced the poppets on my last batch of AEB kegs with universal poppets, but I would prefer a direct fit.  Has anyone replaced the poppets on their AEB kegs with this poppet?

https://www.beveragefactory.com/draftbeer/home_brew/kegs/aeb_poppet.html

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Why not the universal?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
I found that I had to fuss with seating universal poppets on my last batch of AEB kegs.

Offline Andy Farke

• Brewer
  • Homebrewing Paleontologist
    • Andy's Brewing Blog
I found that I had to fuss with seating universal poppets on my last batch of AEB kegs.

+1 to this. Some of my poppets were *super* tight, and I had to trim them back a bit.
Facebook: Farke Brewing

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
I use these poppets and prefer them over the universal They work as they're supposed to

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster

+1 to this. Some of my poppets were *super* tight, and I had to trim them back a bit.

this is another reason I dont like universal. You end up having to trim the spring to get them to fit, but if you trim too much them sometimes the poppet can seat sideways and spray beer everywhere when you remove a fitting. Also had a slow leak due to universal poppets and lost a keg of beer over a few days that was lagering in my kegerator.

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew

this is another reason I dont like universal. You end up having to trim the spring to get them to fit, but if you trim too much them sometimes the poppet can seat sideways and spray beer everywhere when you remove a fitting. Also had a slow leak due to universal poppets and lost a keg of beer over a few days that was lagering in my kegerator.

This is all very interesting. I have kegs from a number of manufacturers and I haven't had any problems.  We'll see.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
I like the price point of the universal poppets and the idea behnd them is nice, but my experience with them hasnt been great. Of course, user error is a real thing, probably a little TOO real when it comes to me haha

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
I get problems where some QDs don’t want to suppress the poppet on some of my keg posts. Usually I just have to use a different QD. It is annoying. I am not sure if my problem is the poppet or maybe the QD (as in maybe the plunger is too short).