Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Fly v batch  (Read 3182 times)

Offline towroon

• 1st Kit
Re: Fly v batch
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2020, 03:59:40 pm »
For most purposes batch sparging is vastly easier, but some for some niche styles, as mabrungard said, fly sparging is crucial.
I am a researcher for pro-essay-writer.com who loves homebrewing beer.

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2020, 07:58:58 am »
I initially chose fly because of doing larger batch sizes.  Then I started using my HERMS, so fly fit the process.  I also don't like the O2 introduction.  I underlet, stir once, turn on the pump to recirculate, and drain to the BK. I never open the MT until it is time to clean it out.  On smaller batches I believe I would just no sparge and take a little hit on efficiency.  I'm not sure if one is any better than the other.  Would I build another structure and system like I have starting over, probably not.   
Jeff B

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2020, 09:10:20 am »
For most purposes batch sparging is vastly easier, but some for some niche styles, as mabrungard said, fly sparging is crucial.

Which styles are those?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline towroon

• 1st Kit
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2020, 01:33:34 pm »

Which styles are those?

Well, my favorite as of recent is a Belgian style Tripel, and in my testing fly sparging just makes it that extra bit spicier. It's a small difference, but it adds a lot to the overall taste IMO. This may be a placebo effect, I'm not trying to pose myself as an expert.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2020, 01:36:14 pm »

Which styles are those?

Well, my favorite as of recent is a Belgian style Tripel, and in my testing fly sparging just makes it that extra bit spicier. It's a small difference, but it adds a lot to the overall taste IMO. This may be a placebo effect, I'm not trying to pose myself as an expert.

I would have to say it's confirmation bias.  Why would sparge style make it spicier?  I can't think of any reason.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline towroon

• 1st Kit
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2020, 01:58:17 pm »
I would have to say it's confirmation bias.  Why would sparge style make it spicier?  I can't think of any reason.

Maybe I'm somehow messing up the batch sparging, or the other factors are at play. I do prefer batch sparging otherwise and I never noticed a difference with most styles.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2020, 02:34:18 pm »

Maybe I'm somehow messing up the batch sparging, or the other factors are at play. I do prefer batch sparging otherwise and I never noticed a difference with most styles.

Which is why I say it might be confirmation bias.  You did something you thought would make a change, so you taste the change, whether you do or not!  ;)

www.dennybrew.com

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2020, 04:01:52 pm »
Or perhaps something else was changed, added, or just went wrong?  Maybe as simple as yeast or fermentation temp....the only way to truly meaningfully compare would be side by side identical ingredient batches tested in blind triangle tests.  But make your beer however you prefer best, and enjoy!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2020, 06:26:42 pm »
Which styles are those?

In my opinion, those styles would be those with strong malt presence like helles, pilsner, bock, etc.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2020, 07:55:49 am »
Which styles are those?

In my opinion, those styles would be those with strong malt presence like helles, pilsner, bock, etc.

Don't drink or brew helles, so no experience there, but I have brewed the others batch sparge many times and found no problems with them. 

www.dennybrew.com

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2020, 10:24:23 am »
Which styles are those?

what about the opposite? (though still helles in mind)

entering this thread i tried to remember what i could about fly sparging (i have never done it), but a perfectly done fly sparge vs. an average/high quality batch sparge could have slightly reduced grain tannins in the wort?

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2020, 11:30:30 am »
Don't drink or brew helles, so no experience there, but I have brewed the others batch sparge many times and found no problems with them.

While I have always continuous (a.k.a. "fly") sparged, I definitely buy Martin's argument for Helles or any other delicately flavored, malt-forward beer styles like American light lager and cream ale.  Cardboard/paper can be a major problem with these beer styles and that oxidized flavor development occurs in the mash.  With hop-forward styles like West Coast-style IPA, one can cover up a host of brewing and fermentation sins with dry hopping. That being said, I am going to bow out of this discussion because it is a mine field. 
« Last Edit: December 31, 2020, 12:48:01 pm by Saccharomyces »

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2020, 11:33:03 am »
Which styles are those?

what about the opposite? (though still helles in mind)

entering this thread i tried to remember what i could about fly sparging (i have never done it), but a perfectly done fly sparge vs. an average/high quality batch sparge could have slightly reduced grain tannins in the wort?

I don't believe so.  Why would it?

www.dennybrew.com

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2020, 11:34:28 am »

While I have always continuous (a.k.a. "fly") sparged, I definitely buy Martin's argument for Helles or any other delicately flavored, malt-forward beer styles like American light lager and cream ale.  Cardboard/paper can be a major problem with these beer styles and that oxidized flavor development occurs in the mash.  With hop-forward styles like West Coast-style IPA, one can cover up a host of brewing and fermentation sins with dry hopping.
That being said, I am going to bow out of this discussion because it is a mine field.

Mark, if that occurred in that mash, why haven't I or other batch spargers encountered it?  I make a lot of pils, tripel,  and other "delicate" styles.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2020, 12:43:38 pm »

Which is why I say it might be confirmation bias.  You did something you thought would make a change, so you taste the change, whether you do or not!  ;)

Confirmation bias works both ways. You do something that you don't think makes a difference, and so you don't taste a difference.