Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Soda pop!  (Read 867 times)

Offline sjungdahl

• 1st Kit
Soda pop!
« on: December 13, 2020, 03:25:46 pm »
I love beer, at least I used to. Unfortunately for health reasons I can no longer consume alcohol. However I am interested in making root beer (NA) and other sodas. I'm not sure about serving, kegging, carbonating and was hoping I could get help in this forum or maybe point me to another.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: Soda pop!
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2020, 04:50:37 pm »
I've dabbled here and there. I was diagnosed with diabetes this summer, so I've started working on diet soda but I haven't gotten the sweetener dialed in yet. (Side note: erythritol doesn't work as well as I had hoped)

If you're developing your own recipes I'd start with a 1 or 2 liter soda bottle and a carbonator cap. Make a bunch of small batches and dial it in before scaling up. I'd only fill the bottle half to 2/3 full; you want more headspace to help it carb faster.

Several years back I developed my own ginger beer (soda) recipe over several batches, and kept a running log on a post here. That might give you some ideas. Here's a link to it:

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=28696.0

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2020, 07:02:22 pm »
I've tried lacto fermented sodas twice.  The theory is sound, but I haven't been able to dial in the carbonation.  The first batch turned into gushers (almost bottle bombs), and the second batch didn't carbonate enough.

I'd love to hear someone's more successful experience.
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society and the League of Drews.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2020, 07:20:42 pm »
I've tried lacto fermented sodas twice.  The theory is sound, but I haven't been able to dial in the carbonation.  The first batch turned into gushers (almost bottle bombs), and the second batch didn't carbonate enough.

I'd love to hear someone's more successful experience.
Interesting. I've done the kombucha thing before, but I've never heard of lacto soda. Is this similar to water kefir? I can't stand vinegar, so kombucha didn't do much for me, but a lactic beverage sounds more my style.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2020, 07:31:47 pm »
Similar, but instead of a SCOBY, you just use lactobacillus. You get a lacto tartness without the vinegary acetic acid flavors.

You can get the lacto from yogurt whey, probiotic supplements, start a ginger bug spontaneously, etc.
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society and the League of Drews.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2020, 09:28:20 am by majorvices »

Offline Andy Farke

• Brewer
  • Homebrewing Paleontologist
    • Andy's Brewing Blog
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2020, 02:52:57 pm »
I like to make syrups, and then mix them to taste with sparkling water. Naturally carbonated ones are OK, but the yeast flavor can sometimes clash, and they have a much shorter shelf-life.

Here's the strawberry soda syrup I use -- is *amazing*, especially if you can get your hands on fresh, local strawberries that are at peak ripeness!

- 1.5 cups sliced strawberries
- 0.9 cups sugar
- 0.65 cups water
- 0.25 cup fresh-squeezed lemon juice

Simmer for 15 minutes, mashing strawberries as the pot comes to a simmer. Next, strain through a fine mesh strainer, and transfer to a container. Mix ~1 to 2 oz. with 8 oz. of sparkling water (or otherwise to taste). Sugar can be adjusted to taste.

If you want much lower sugar flavored sparkling waters, I highly recommend the Amorette Craft Puree series (which is also awesome for beer flavoring). A pump or two in a glass of sparkling water is really nice, and way cheaper than La Croix or even store-brand Faux Croix. The blood orange flavor is my favorite.
Facebook: Farke Brewing