Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Just an Ale  (Read 816 times)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Just an Ale
« on: January 07, 2021, 07:09:27 am »
Back when I started getting into beer "craft beer" was called "microbrew", and most breweries had a beer that was just their "Ale". Technically they could probably be labeled Pale Ale, Brown Ale or Amber Ale, but they were fairly simple, balanced, and easy to put down. In a fit of nostalgia I decided to brew an "Ale", although the recipe is admittedly a bit more modern than what you would have seen in the 90s.

Ale
3 gallon batch

1.050 OG
30ish IBU

3lb Avengard Pilsner
2lb Dingeman Pale Ale
8oz Swaen Munich 7L
6oz Muntons C60
4oz Simpsons DRC
1oz Midnight Wheat

1oz Cascade Cryo @15min
1oz Simcoe Cryo @flameout

BRY-97

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
Re: Just an Ale
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2021, 08:56:15 am »
Sounds tasty to me. I won't tell you what I was doing in the early '90s, but it didn't involve much beer drinking. 😉

Maybe we should avocate for BJCP to add a new beer style - #27 Historic Beer: Early-'90s Ale.
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society and the League of Drews.

Offline ravenwater

• Brewer
Re: Just an Ale
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2021, 09:23:50 am »
My era for beginning craft beer drinking (yeah, called microbrews at the time) was the early 80's when microbreweries were in their nascence, and the beers were more basic but flavorful and easy to drink as I recall. It seems every spot had a swath of the same styles as regular house beers - a blonde, an amber, a pale, and a stout and brown ales were a common offering as well. Special variations on these or perhaps an English IPA would make appearances on a rotating basis at some watering holes. Although I myself tend to be pretty style bound when I brew I've long been an advocate of "brew what you want to taste and don't be afraid to experiment" and "don't get too hung up on style unless you're entering competitions." Your recipe looks like it should be tasty Erockerph, though yes more complicated than what might have been common in the 80's and 90's, and brewers back then would have been amazed at Cryo hops.
Shawn Crawford  -  Rio Rancho, NM.  
 BJCP, Worthogs Homebrew Club of New Mexico

Life is good. Beer makes it gooder.