Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Thinking though an ESB/Best Bitter recipe...  (Read 2130 times)

Offline Homebrew_kev

• Cellarman
    • Check out my Instagram
Thinking though an ESB/Best Bitter recipe...
« on: January 04, 2021, 08:52:40 pm »
While working a shift at my LHBS my co-worker and local homebrew hero inspired me to brew an ESB. He suggested using Maris Otter and no more than 10% golden naked oat with EKG. I've never brewed an ESB, and this recipe sounded deliciously simple. So, I'm sitting here and plugging it all into Beersmith, and I noticed that the SRM seems too low - it bugged me so I found this...

https://beerandbrewing.com/make-your-best-esb/

The brewer, Josh, mentions crystal malts and I have access to some good local c-40 and c-60 (It really puts Breiss to shame). It bumped it up to 8.4 SRM (style guide line is 8-16). So, I have a recipe that looks ok to me - I'm trying to be more thoughtful about creating recipes this year so I thought I'd throw this out to the wolves and see what I can learn.

Batch Size: 6gal
Efficiency: 72%

• 8lb Maris Otter
  • .5lb C-40
  • .5 C-60
  • .5 Golden Promise

• First Wort 60min 1oz EKG
  • 15min 1oz EKG
  • 5min 1oz EKG
  • Whirlpool EKG

West Yorkshire Ale Wyeast 1469

Haven't found a water profile yet, but I'll use distilled/RO

My friend/co-worker suggested naturally keg carbonating which sounds interesting.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: Thinking though an ESB/Best Bitter recipe...
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2021, 09:57:02 pm »
Golden Naked Oats is a type of Crystal malt, so I wouldn't add more Crystal malts in addition. In general, adding Crystal malt to hit a target color isn't the best option. Add whatever amount/type of Crystal to hit your target flavor, then make up the color difference with a dark roasted malt, or brewer's caramel if you have access to it.

I like Crystal in my ESB recipes at about 5-7%, although you can probably push it to 10% if that's your preference. 1469 is an excellent choice for yeast, and I think your hop schedule looks pretty good, too.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2021, 06:41:22 am »
I think a good ESB needs Crystal.  Fuller's and Bass use it, so why wouldn't we?  I like the recipe above.  I just think it will fall short on specific gravity.  You'll need a whole lot more than 9.5 pounds of malt in 6 gallons at 72% efficiency to get up towards like 1.055.  More like 12 pounds.  I'd increase just the base malt, leave the half pound each of the crystal malts.  Then add a touch of any dark roasted malt as color adjustment.  That is all.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2021, 07:42:02 am »
There is an ever growing thread at homebrew talk dot com about Fullers ESB with much of the information coming directly from Fullers head brewer and past head brewers. I remember John Keeling saying it was 95% pale ale malt and 5% crystal 150. Hops were Target for bittering and in the last minutes they used Northdown, Challenger and Goldings. ESB was dry hopped in the fermenter.

Keep in mind that is how John Keeling knew it during his time at Fullers. The recipe has evolved and snapshots of brew logs show a slightly different grist.
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline joe_meadmaker

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2021, 08:23:21 pm »
I've only done an ESB once.  I used Maris, Crystal 60, and just a bit of Crystal 120 to get the color.  It came out quite well.  I ended up taking part of the batch to a homebrew competition (the type where you get to serve your own beer to people).  I didn't win anything with it (as usual :D), but got a lot of positive feedback.

@Homebrew_kev - In your description about the how the recipe came together, you mentioned Golden Naked Oats.  But in the grain bill you have Golden Promise.  Was one of these a mistype?

Offline ravenwater

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2021, 05:54:12 am »
Adding specialty grains for the sole purpose of achieving an SRM is not good practice, in my view. Your flavor/aroma target- desired outcomes other than color- should drive your ingredient choices I think. British bitters can be all over the place in terms of color & still be accurate representations of the style.
Shawn Crawford  -  Rio Rancho, NM.  
 BJCP, Worthogs Homebrew Club of New Mexico

Life is good. Beer makes it gooder.

Offline Silver_Is_Money

• Brewer
  • Developer of 'Mash Made Easy'
    • Mash Made Easy, MashRite, LLC
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2021, 09:56:23 am »
Is 15 SRM a good first guess for the color of Fuller's ESB?  Where do all of you place its color?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2021, 06:29:54 pm by Silver_Is_Money »

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2021, 11:44:51 am »
Based on old podcasts from 2009/2010 on the Brewing Network program "Can You Brew It", Fullers ESB is 14 SRM, and Fullers confirmed they use a tiny amount of chocolate malt to achieve the color.  They use about 5% dark crystal malt.

In the days of old 100-200 years ago (and maybe even more recently), the Brits have used black invert sugar and "brewer's caramel", which IIRC was like a black taffy, to darken the beers.

So, they are absolutely NOT squeamish about making color adjustments if/when desired.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2021, 03:18:01 pm »
I bought some brewers caramel from the UK a while back and it is not like taffy. It is simply a dark coloring agent.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 07:24:03 am by Kevin »
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2021, 05:50:22 pm »
fullers ESB recipe posted above is right, except it is colour adjusted with brewers caramel.

my favourite bitter, just a bit below an ESB, is ruddles county. id say its similar to the outline of whats posted here

90% pale ale or maris otter, 5% very dark crystal 5% sugar

but they use bramling hops. if you can mix in a small amount of some berry/dark fruit hops along with the standard british hops it really pushes it over the edge into highly memorable territory.

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2021, 08:13:43 am »
Even with an extraction rate of 30 points per pound per gallon, that grist is going to yield a lower gravity than one would expect from an ESB. I second Eric's recommendation.  I specialized in British beer styles for over two decades.  British bitter obtains most of its color from brewer's caramel or a small addition of black or chocolate malt.  I plan to use Blackprinz malt to color my British bitters in the future.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2021, 12:43:50 pm by Saccharomyces »

Offline mchrispen

• Brewmaster
    • Accidentalis Brewing Blog
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2021, 10:02:59 am »
I highly recommend Peter Symon’s book Guile Brews if you want to deep dive into historic British and Irish Beers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Matt Chrispen
Sometime Austin Zealot
Blogging from the garage @ accidentalis.com
>> Bru'n Water Spreadsheet Walkthroughs<<
>> Bru'n Water Subscriber Version 5.3 Spreadsheet Walkthrough <<

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2021, 12:45:59 pm »
By the way, batch sparging is just a version of the British parti-gyle brewing technique.