Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Tipping allowed?  (Read 2603 times)

Offline colinlikesbeer

• 1st Kit
Tipping allowed?
« on: January 05, 2021, 09:14:03 am »
When I share my brews with friends, family or fans, can I legally accept a cash tip without having a license? Haven't been able to find anything on the topic of tipping yet. Thanks in advance!

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: Tipping allowed?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2021, 09:53:31 am »
In the USA?  No.  Tips are still income.

If they directly gifted you a few pounds of grain or hops, it would still be technically illegal but a little more disguised at least.  Still I would not be an advocate of that.  Would hate to see anybody get into trouble.  Everybody wants to make a buck, especially the government.  If you're homebrewing for money, you're doing it for entirely the wrong reasons IMO.  If that's your motivation, seek employment at a real brewery or get licensed.

My 2 cents.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2021, 10:27:57 am »
Maybe it's just me but my friends, family or neighbors don't offer me money when they drink my beer.  There isn't anything wrong with it necessarily but I would find it odd, personally. 
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2021, 10:38:57 am »
If you are setting up a bar at your house with a "tip jar" you could get in serious trouble. If your buddy slides you $10 for chips and cigars then it's all good. Have a homebrew.

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2021, 11:42:23 am »
A few weeks after our first Oktoberfest I found a $20 in an antique cigar box I use for a decoration on the kegerator.  I didn't ask for it, whoever left it didn't tell me about it.  Technically was an illegal sale but no one involved intentionally broke the law. 

I donated it to my wife so as to avoid any appearance of illegality.   ;D

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2021, 11:56:27 am »
I wouldn’t worry about it either way unless you get the impression the fuzz is onto you.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline colinlikesbeer

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2021, 11:59:14 am »
If you are setting up a bar at your house with a "tip jar" you could get in serious trouble. If your buddy slides you $10 for chips and cigars then it's all good. Have a homebrew.

This is inline with what I was thinking. Not seeking tips at all, but not sure where the lines are about accepting them. Family and friends get a free pass, but if someone who follows me on instagram wants to swing by for a beer and tries to hand me a $5, I assume it's going to be fine.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2021, 01:38:20 pm »
This started out a little strange and gets weirder. Trying to imagine telling my wife some rando who follows me on instagram is coming to the house for a beer...
Also, the fact that its someone who is aware of you from social media makes it more likely to be illegal and more likely to get caught. I was thinking a buddy drinks a lot of your beer and offered to reimburse or something.
Stating all this on a public forum wouldn't be the route I would take either.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2021, 02:33:12 pm »
Rando Brewing Company.  We accept tips.  :D 

Honestly, I understand all of the caveats but I think you would have to do something pretty big to get anyone's attention.  If a friend asked you to make beer for his wedding and then wanted to give you money for it, the ATF is not going to be there waiting for some underground cash transaction to take place.  Yes, it's illegal for that money to change hands but this is not something you hear happening very often. 
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2021, 03:14:11 pm »
Im sure whoever would get you in trouble for this has much bigger things to worry about

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2021, 03:33:29 pm »
I agree that actual trouble is unlikely.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2021, 04:03:54 pm »
No tips, just to be safe.  Instead, no cash payments and simply accepting a gift of the ingredients to use for the brewing should work ok, as I see it, especially if all of the homebrew is going to be a gratis token consumed at a wedding, house party or other similar gathering where no admission charges are made.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2021, 04:27:39 pm »
It's similar to people admitting that they brewed more than the 100 gallons a year (or 200 for a couple) you're allowed to brew.  Some people say that they brewed EXACTLY 200 gallons... but who is coming to your house to verify that or look for trouble? 
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2021, 05:14:45 pm »
This started out a little strange and gets weirder. Trying to imagine telling my wife some rando who follows me on instagram is coming to the house for a beer...
Also, the fact that its someone who is aware of you from social media makes it more likely to be illegal and more likely to get caught. I was thinking a buddy drinks a lot of your beer and offered to reimburse or something.
I agree- a bit weird for normal times; not good practice during a world-wide pandemic!  That said, not everyone accepts every instagram follower who comes along, do they? 

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2021, 05:18:02 pm »
I agree- a bit weird for normal times; not good practice during a world-wide pandemic!  That said, not everyone accepts every instagram follower who comes along, do they?
I confess that I don’t really know what Instagram is other than sharing pictures. But being a “follower” sounds creepy. Borderline Luddite here.