Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Smack packs  (Read 1571 times)

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
Smack packs
« on: January 24, 2021, 01:59:22 pm »
Used my first one today, they are just cool. I like WL don't get me wrong but something kind of entertaining with using the smack packs.

Maybe I'm easily amused. I do like knowing if my yeast us viable or not before pitching

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Smack packs
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2021, 02:07:47 pm »
I had one pack fail to expand after smacking and allowing at least 4 hours.  I decided to pitch it into the wort anyway, but it was a dud. So yeah, lesson learned.

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2021, 07:18:17 am »
And on the other side of the coin I've had smack packs that did not expand and then worked perfectly well.
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2021, 07:56:43 am »
It's kind of like adding sugar to dry yeast when making bread. If the yeast is fresh it's totally cool to watch it start foaming but it works the same if you proof it or not. Unless the yeast is dead, then uh oh. No foam.

Just be sure to pitch enough yeast wether it swells or not. A starter for any beer over 1.045 is a great idea and for lagers is mandatory.

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2021, 08:36:26 am »
And on the other side of the coin I've had smack packs that did not expand and then worked perfectly well.

And on the third side of the coin (???), I've used smack packs that were way past that their "Best Buy" date and they blew up and fermented fine.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2021, 08:47:57 am »
I really do like them for making sure the yeast is viable.  If I have Omega or White Labs packages I feel like I always have to make a starter even for 5% ales.  If I am making a 5% ale with a Wyeast pack, I smack it, wait for it to swell and pitch right from the pack.  For a lager of any brand... starter. 
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2021, 08:56:11 am »

Frequently.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2021, 09:04:51 am »

Frequently.

This is interesting.  I definitely have had some packs that did not swell as much as others and they worked fine.  Maybe only as little as 1/4 of the way to full blown.
My only DOA pack did not inflate at all, nothing, remained perfectly flat.  I'd be hard pressed to ever again use a pack that didn't show at least some signs of life.

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2021, 06:12:08 pm »
We got airlock activity can't wait to see how it tastes

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2021, 07:51:25 pm »

And on the third side of the coin (???), I've used smack packs that were way past that their "Best Buy" date and they blew up and fermented fine.
And on the fourth side of what seems to be a die more than a coin at this point, I have gotten smack packs that were already swelled up so much that I couldn't smack them to break the packet inside. The yeast still worked fine.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2021, 09:09:44 am »

And on the fourth side of what seems to be a die more than a coin at this point, I have gotten smack packs that were already swelled up so much that I couldn't smack them to break the packet inside. The yeast still worked fine.

As it should. The swollen pack shows healthy yeast.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Coquitopr

• 1st Kit
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2021, 11:50:09 am »
I recently bought a smack pack of 1272 and never inflated and was a dud in my starter. Luckily my lhbs had it and since I was pressed for time I didn’t want to do a starter so I bought two packs... they inflated real quick and with a healthy dose of pure O2 I had activity just a few hours later.

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2021, 01:05:43 pm »
I have never successfully "smacked" the envelope open in a smack pack. I've tried repeatedly. Watched videos, etc.

That said I have always had very fresh yeast that took off like a rocket, so it hasn't really been an issue. Just annoying that I haven't figured this out.
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2021, 02:16:32 pm »
I have never successfully "smacked" the envelope open in a smack pack. I've tried repeatedly. Watched videos, etc.

That said I have always had very fresh yeast that took off like a rocket, so it hasn't really been an issue. Just annoying that I haven't figured this out.
I've found it works best to trap the packet in a corner of the package.  Then keep it there with one hand and use the heal of my other hand to compress the packet and pop it.  Some are more difficult than others but trapping it always gets the job done.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2021, 02:26:42 pm »

I've found it works best to trap the packet in a corner of the package.  Then keep it there with one hand and use the heal of my other hand to compress the packet and pop it.  Some are more difficult than others but trapping it always gets the job done.

Paul

I find if the packet has started to swell at all it can be very difficult to trap and pop the internal pouch.