Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Devils Back Bone Vienna lager clone.  (Read 2447 times)

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
Devils Back Bone Vienna lager clone.
« on: January 29, 2021, 09:55:15 pm »
Had this the other night for the first time and absolutely loved it.

Found what malts and hops they use. Was wondering if anybody has ever cloned or attempted to clone this brew?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
Re: Devils Back Bone Vienna lager clone.
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2021, 03:39:51 am »
As lagers go, I find Devi's Backbone Vienna to be on the pedestrian side.  It is okay if there is nothing else to drink but industrial lager, but there are much better craft lagers.  What the beer has going for it is lack of competition in the style.

If you want to learn more about the style, Google "Anton Dreher." There is now a publication that is dedicated to the style.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2021, 03:43:52 am by Saccharomyces »

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2021, 04:44:44 am »
I haven’t had one in a few years, but I recall liking it very much.  It is listed in the BJCP as a commercial example of the style.  That doesn’t necessarily mean that it is a stellar beer, but it usually can be taken as a decent example.  There are others.  I prefer to make mine with mostly Vienna malt and some Munich.  I’ve experimented with a touch of Caramunich and I have a friend who has won several BOS using Red X malt in the grist.

Good luck with your version.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2021, 04:50:56 am »
I've had a few "vienna lagers" and didn't care for them much but this one I could definitely drink.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2021, 05:14:24 am »
I haven’t had this beer so no help there but just want to suggest another Vienna lager. I don’t know where you live or how widely this is distributed but if you ever see Von Trappe’s Vienna, or any of their lagers for that matter, I suggest trying them. The Vienna malt just really pops and it has a crisp finish.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2021, 05:18:29 am »
Nice thank you, I'll check it out

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2021, 08:05:40 am »
The Vienna malt just really pops and it has a crisp finish.

That is my problem with Devil's Backbone.  The malt and hop flavors are very muted.  However, Vienna is not a well served beer style, so beggars cannot be choosers.

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2021, 08:17:38 am »
I think that  might be what I liked about it the muted hop flavor.

Although I have been dry hopping some of my recent test batches of different styles and have been expanding my palate for hops

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2021, 09:02:12 am »

Although I have been dry hopping some of my recent test batches of different styles and have been expanding my palate for hops

A beer does not have to be dry hopped to have hop flavor.  The hop flavor of a well-brewed traditional lager style should not be over the top.  It should be more spice and floral in nature than resin and fruit.  Noble hops produce a beer with a distinct hop flavor.  DB Vienna tastes like a lot of nothingness to me.  It is better than industrial lager, but I do not think that it is better than Yuengling Traditional Lager, which is a well-brewed adjunct beer that is about as close to being a Pre-Pro Lager as one will find today.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2021, 09:11:53 am »
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2021, 09:35:20 am »

A beer does not have to be dry hopped to have hop flavor.  The hop flavor of a well-brewed traditional lager style should not be over the top.  It should be more spice and floral in nature than resin and fruit.  Noble hops produce a beer with a distinct hop flavor.  DB Vienna tastes like a lot of nothingness to me.  It is better than industrial lager, but I do not think that it is better than Yuengling Traditional Lager, which is a well-brewed adjunct beer that is about as close to being a Pre-Pro Lager as one will find today.
I understand that, since I no chill that's about the easiest way to get hop flavor and aroma in my brews

Online hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2021, 10:39:13 am »
They presented at HomebrewCon in Grand Rapids, recipe was in the presentation.  Made it, it turned out nice.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2021, 12:42:58 pm »
The BYO recipe is on the low side with respect to IBUs for the style, but it still higher than that of DB Vienna Lager, which is at the absolute bottom of the IBU rating for the style.  For me, I personally think that Vienna tastes less sickly sweet when 90 to 100% Vienna malt is used and the hopping rate is closer to 30 IBUs, which is at the top of the range.  Surprisingly, I used to drink Dreher beer when I lived in Italy.  By that point in time, Dreher was owned by Heineken, but it was definitely a different beer than Heineken.  I had no idea as the history of Dreher.  It was just the local brew.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2021, 01:04:53 pm »
fermenting a vienna lager right now. its about 90% vienna 10% munich. was going to do some sort of decoction but was too lazy. s189 about 28IBU with ekg hops

ill let you know how it went.

a vienna i like is ottakringer vienna. prettt easy drinking but characterful and subtle. i shoule have stocked up on it when there was some.

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2021, 07:30:18 pm »
Fred thanks dude Looking forward to the update. Went out to eat again tonight and they had the DB vienna was tasty with a bucket of los country boil!! So nice to be home