Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Is there a difference between second fermenter or bottles for maturing cider?  (Read 958 times)

Offline cidersid76

• 1st Kit
Hi all,

my first batch of cider stopped fermentating at 0.996 after 8 days today.
I let go of the idea to rack it into secondary. Seems that for maturing over 3  weeks, the lees likely wont give any off flavors, so I dont wanna take the risk for infections or oxidation and just leave it in primary

I just came to wonder, if there is any point in leaving it in primary instead of just bottling and letting it mature in the bottles? Basically, if i am not going for MLF, bottling is the same as racking it to secondary isnt it? I used pateurized apple juice, so I am not expecting MLF anyway.

Am I missing something? Or can i just bottle and let the cider mature in them?

thanks

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Hi all,

my first batch of cider stopped fermentating at 0.996 after 8 days today.
I let go of the idea to rack it into secondary. Seems that for maturing over 3  weeks, the lees likely wont give any off flavors, so I dont wanna take the risk for infections or oxidation and just leave it in primary

I just came to wonder, if there is any point in leaving it in primary instead of just bottling and letting it mature in the bottles? Basically, if i am not going for MLF, bottling is the same as racking it to secondary isnt it? I used pateurized apple juice, so I am not expecting MLF anyway.

Am I missing something? Or can i just bottle and let the cider mature in them?

thanks

Cider is about the only thing I still use a secondary for.  Maybe it's just a habit, but I think I get better results.  I primary in buckets for a month or so, then rack to kegs and keep them cold for a few months before bottling.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell