Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Yeasty tasting lager  (Read 2025 times)

Offline Troy Walker

• 1st Kit
Yeasty tasting lager
« on: March 04, 2021, 06:38:33 pm »
Hi everyone,

This is probably all grain brew number 25 or so for me.  Mostly do ales but gave a second try to a lager.  This one a German Helles.  Brew day went OK, had it in the plastic fermenter for about 8 weeks.  Took a little taste when bottling (yes I haven't commissioned my keg yet) and it seemed like it might be OK.  Used some bottling yeast and left for 2 weeks.  One thing, when I bottled I put not yet fully cooled corn sugar solution in the bottom of the bottling bucket and then sprinkled a little dry bottling yeast on that.  Then I thought as I added the beer that maybe that was too warm for the yeast - so I added a little dusting more.

Tasted my first bottle just shy of two weeks (it was an ale yeast for bottling so set bottles at room temp).  First taste is yeasty - frankly reminds me of one of my first home brew kits.  Drinkable, but not what I was hoping for.

No big deal, it's all a learning game, but wondering if there is any advice on this one - will the yeast still clean it up if I leave it longer?  I've certainly seen ales improve with age.

All advice, criticism welcome.

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Yeasty tasting lager
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2021, 09:35:49 pm »
You didn't need to add any yeast at bottling.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline Troy Walker

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2021, 10:12:11 pm »
I never do for ales.  But the homebrew folks recommended it for lagers.

Offline roger

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2021, 06:05:54 am »
I am not familiar with the need for homebrewers to add yeast for bottling.

I would recommend dropping the temperature of your bottled beer as close to 32 degrees as you can, and leave it alone for a few weeks, before trying again.
Roger

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2021, 08:22:07 am »

No matter, it was not necessary. But I doubt that's what you're tasting.  If it is, time will improve it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Troy Walker

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2021, 09:13:21 am »
Any ideas?  It wasn't there when I tasted it at bottling.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2021, 10:40:45 am »
Any ideas?  It wasn't there when I tasted it at bottling.

Time and cold temps may very well fix it.  Maybe a bit more info about recipe and process would help.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2021, 03:04:35 pm »
Some homebrew folks recommend a lot of things.
I've lagered batches at 35f for three months that carbed up fine without adding yeast at bottling time.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline mdyer909

• Cellarman
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2021, 03:57:56 pm »
I always add a little dry yeast before bottling a lager.  Call it insurance. 

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2021, 06:55:22 am »
This one a German Helles.  Brew day went OK, had it in the plastic fermenter for about 8 weeks. 

One word "autolysis"   One can usually get away with three, four, maybe even five weeks on the primary cake, but eight weeks is rolling the dice.  Has anyone ever smelled a two month old crop, really smelled it?  I have yet to smell a 2+ month old crop that did not have at least a hint of autolysis in its aroma.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2021, 05:26:23 pm »
This one a German Helles.  Brew day went OK, had it in the plastic fermenter for about 8 weeks. 

One word "autolysis"   One can usually get away with three, four, maybe even five weeks on the primary cake, but eight weeks is rolling the dice.  Has anyone ever smelled a two month old crop, really smelled it?  I have yet to smell a 2+ month old crop that did not have at least a hint of autolysis in its aroma.
I was going to mention that timeline as well.  EIGHT WEEKS in the fermenter?  Holy smokes.  Also, in my bottling days I would gel a beer in a secondary and it would be crystal clear.  Then I would bottle it... no added yeast.  Even though the beer looked very clear, there was enough viable yeast in it (or I picked some up from the bottom of the vessel during transfer) to carb naturally.  Honestly, I hear the "insurance" part loud and clear but it's not necessary.  I brewed with extract and bottled for FIVE YEARS.  Never had a beer that wouldn't carb.  Also, 2 weeks is acceptable.  I usually go 10 days for a lager and then send it to the keg.  8 weeks is really playing with fire.   
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2021, 07:33:25 pm »
Plastic fermenters are also slightly permeable to oxygen. They are fine for a couple of weeks, but beyond that you are better off with stainless or (shudder) glass.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2021, 08:49:10 pm »
Plastic fermenters are also slightly permeable to oxygen. They are fine for a couple of weeks, but beyond that you are better off with stainless or (shudder) glass.
(Shatter)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2021, 07:30:38 am »

Totally agree with this.

Also, there is nothing wrong with adding a little yeast at bottling to insure consistent results, especially after a long lagering or aging. I think the 8 weeks in the plastic fermenter may have pick up some oxidation flavors that you are tasting as "yeasty".

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2021, 09:31:28 am »

yup, i started with glass, then switched to plastic. there was always just a slightly less "fresh" taste to it that was noticeable.

glass is a pain but its where i am until i get enough usage out of these things to consider buying stainless or ?