Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cleaning lines on Kegerator. Can't keep taps open?  (Read 964 times)

Offline Chris C

• Cellarman
Cleaning lines on Kegerator. Can't keep taps open?
« on: March 10, 2021, 12:18:08 pm »
The tap handles I have on my kegerator close when you quit pulling them.  I want to use a recirculating draft line cleaning system, but don't want to have to stand there and hold the handles open to clean it.  How do you do it?  some kind of contraption to hold it open?  A different type of tap that just stays open?  HELP!

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
Re: Cleaning lines on Kegerator. Can't keep taps open?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2021, 01:21:26 pm »
Are you using the type of self closing faucet that utilizes a spring that sits between the faucet and the shank?  If so, you should be able to remove the faucet and take out the spring.

https://www.morebeer.com/products/intertap-beer-faucet-parts-selfclosing-spring.html
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline Chris C

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2021, 02:49:51 pm »
Are you using the type of self closing faucet that utilizes a spring that sits between the faucet and the shank?  If so, you should be able to remove the faucet and take out the spring.

https://www.morebeer.com/products/intertap-beer-faucet-parts-selfclosing-spring.html

That's the answer!  Thank you!!

Offline ttash

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2021, 07:38:09 am »
If you have to go to the trouble of removing the faucet to remove the spring, you might as well pick up a faucet-thread line cleaning adapter. It's a simple fitting that threads directly onto the shank once the faucet is removed. It has a hose barb so you can attach some vinyl hose, and direct that to your reservoir that you're recirculating from. Then, while recirculating cleaning solution, you can disassemble your faucet and clean it by hand. Easy peasy, and inexpensive too, the fitting costs about $5 at most well stocked homebrew supply stores.