Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: do you often make higher gravity or ABV beers?  (Read 1762 times)

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: do you often make higher gravity or ABV beers?
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2021, 05:02:41 am »
i feel like i have weird beer habits

No one's beer drinking habits are "weird". We are all unique, and to each their own.

i cant imagine drinking a beer on a hot sunny afternoon

Okay yeah that's just weird :P. Where I live it's currently 102o F and I've just come in from yardwork and am drinking a Corona Extra in a frosty glass. Cue the angel music!

One of my favorite “lawnmower” beers is my American (Dry) Stout.  Very quaffable.  I’ve got one planned to be ready for the dog days.   :)
I can never understand why this style is considered a winter beer, seems exactly the opposite to me.

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2021, 07:52:40 am »
To chime in on this thread, I occasionally brew some high gravity beers my RIS is around 10% or so and the barleywines are in the same ABV range.  I have a 9.2% Tripel on tap right now and an IPA that is 6.8% (it normally comes in at just over 6% but this one fermented out a bit farther).  The coffee porter that is in the fermenter now will be in the low 5% range and my ESB is around 5.2% which makes them more sessionable.

My wife is suggesting I brew some lower alcohol beers and I am starting to explore cutting the ABV in the IPA to just below 6% without impacting the malt flavor in the beer (maybe a pound or so less of base malt here as a compromise).  She keeps telling me my beers keep getting bigger ABV-wise.  In some cases she is right but not always.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2021, 08:50:53 am »

One of my favorite “lawnmower” beers is my American (Dry) Stout.  Very quaffable.  I’ve got one planned to be ready for the dog days.   :)
I can never understand why this style is considered a winter beer, seems exactly the opposite to me.

based on that and some other posts you've made, i think you have some similar homebrew drinking tastes with me. yes, i do like a dry irish stout in summer as well. anything that isnt sticky sweet.

To chime in on this thread, I occasionally brew some high gravity beers my RIS is around 10% or so and the barleywines are in the same ABV range.  I have a 9.2% Tripel on tap right now and an IPA that is 6.8% (it normally comes in at just over 6% but this one fermented out a bit farther).  The coffee porter that is in the fermenter now will be in the low 5% range and my ESB is around 5.2% which makes them more sessionable.

My wife is suggesting I brew some lower alcohol beers and I am starting to explore cutting the ABV in the IPA to just below 6% without impacting the malt flavor in the beer (maybe a pound or so less of base malt here as a compromise).  She keeps telling me my beers keep getting bigger ABV-wise.  In some cases she is right but not always.

a tripel is always a good one, but its one of the styles that i am lucky enough to be able to find a few great commercial examples for decent prices around here, so that disincentivizes my brewing of it.

do you use all-grain or do you bump up the gravity of the wort with DME? do you add sucrose or dextrose to the RIS?

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2021, 02:57:45 pm »
I brew 2-3 big beers (over 1.080) a year. I make an American Barleywine every year and bounce around with a Belgian Dark Strong, Tripel, and RIS. I like to bottle them just to remind myself how much I hate bottling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan Chisholm

Offline David

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2021, 05:30:02 pm »
I have a KBS clone that is in my regular rotation as I do enjoy a high ABV stout, this one is 10%, I also have two double IPAs I brew regularly. I have recently decided that I do need to include lower ABV brews in my rotation as the heavy stouts and IPAs are not so good on school nights......
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” -- Henry Ford

Offline purduekenn

• Brewer
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2021, 06:17:51 pm »
In the winter months I like to have a Belgian Quad on tap.

Offline dls5492

• Brewer
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2021, 06:22:52 pm »
In the winter months I like to have a Belgian Quad on tap.
Boiler Up!
David S.
Cedar Falls, IA
Club: Cedar River Association of Zymurgy Enthusiasts (CRAZE)

And the Lord is the Spirit; and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. II Cor. 3:17

Offline purduekenn

• Brewer
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2021, 06:27:12 pm »
Boiler Up!
« Last Edit: June 02, 2021, 06:29:22 pm by purduekenn »