Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Jalapeño  (Read 1227 times)

Offline Kenpropst

• 1st Kit
Jalapeño
« on: June 11, 2021, 02:31:59 pm »
What is the best way to add jalapeno flavor to beer? I don’t want the heat just the flavor.should I use fresh should I use flavoring.and when should I add it

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
Re: Jalapeño
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2021, 03:08:34 pm »
Poblanos generally have less heat and a nice flavor.  I like to roast them first and then peel off the char which I think helps with head retention.  You can add them after fermentation is finished, kind of like dry hopping, and leave them in for about three days for best effect.  Three or four poblanos work well in five gallons, but jalapenos are 1/4 the size so you'd probably want to use more.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2021, 03:42:53 pm »
What Jeffy said.

If you don't want heat remove the seeds and the inner membranes. Just use the flesh, some can be hot.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Kenpropst

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2021, 04:02:20 pm »
Thank you

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2021, 04:50:16 pm »
I don't know if they're available outside of growing them yourself, but there are several no-heat chili cultivars available (Coolapeño and Habanada are two I've grown myself). Personally, I thought I'd get more use out of them, but jalapeños really aren't that how to me and I stopped growing them after a couple of seasons.

If they aren't an option, then I agree that Poblanos or Anaheim/Numex are the way to go.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: June 11, 2021, 05:02:05 pm by erockrph »
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2021, 06:51:57 am »
I don't know if they're available outside of growing them yourself, but there are several no-heat chili cultivars available (Coolapeño and Habanada are two I've grown myself). Personally, I thought I'd get more use out of them, but jalapeños really aren't that how to me and I stopped growing them after a couple of seasons.

If they aren't an option, then I agree that Poblanos or Anaheim/Numex are the way to go.

The different Hatch Chile varieties might also be an option. Sandia and Big Jim aren't too hot, if you can find them.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Malthopper

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2021, 12:31:09 pm »
We have a local pepper here in north florida called the datil and I use 6 or 8 of them for a 5 gallon batch of my datil porter. I half and deseed them, add at flameout, and remove them after 10 mins. They are a mild pepper and you get some flavor and a little heat come through. Goes good with smoked barley in the grist

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2021, 02:46:25 pm »
We have a local pepper here in north florida called the datil and I use 6 or 8 of them for a 5 gallon batch of my datil porter. I half and deseed them, add at flameout, and remove them after 10 mins. They are a mild pepper and you get some flavor and a little heat come through. Goes good with smoked barley in the grist
Interesting. The datils I've tried have been like a fruitier Scotch bonnet. Not quite Reaper-hot, but somewhere between Thai and habanero.

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2021, 04:35:45 pm »
Interesting. The datils I've tried have been like a fruitier Scotch bonnet. Not quite Reaper-hot, but somewhere between Thai and habanero.

I like datil peppers, but never found them to be as hot as a scotch bonnet, maybe a bit less heat than a Thai pepper.  Good flavor.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995