Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Mixing beer and water  (Read 1343 times)

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
Mixing beer and water
« on: June 12, 2021, 09:46:02 pm »
I guess I'm officially old now, i feel like I've heard stories of old men diluting their beer with water. I was catching up on some old boak and bailey blog posts and saw them mention that certain IPAs mixed with water emulate cask IPA and bitter. I tried with bells two hearted and it was a reasonable substitute for cask IPA at 12oz beer and 4oz tap water. I've tried it with more modern IPAs and didn't love it but for an old school IPA it comes close enough to cask.

Has anyone tried this? Any beers it works well with?
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: Mixing beer and water
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2021, 04:29:55 am »
No ... but I have put ice in my whiskey before!

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2021, 05:54:02 am »
No ... but I have put ice in my whiskey before!

Whiskey on the rocks!  I love it!
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2021, 07:40:57 am »
It's kind of like adding water to overproof whiskey. It opens up the flavors and aromas.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2021, 07:42:51 am »
I keep a keg of carbed water in the fridge and frequently use it to reduce the strength of the beer I'm drinking.  Any style.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2021, 08:47:35 am »
I keep a keg of carbed water in the fridge and frequently use it to reduce the strength of the beer I'm drinking.  Any style.

That's an old Charlie Papazian trick. I loved his idea for "QuarterBock". Basically it was a 5 gallon beer of Doppel Bock where one gallon was pulled aside and diluted with 3 gallons of deaerated and carbonated water (and drank on Saturdays or Sundays during football season -- hence the name). I had forgotten about that until just now. But it is such a great idea.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2021, 09:04:39 am »

That's an old Charlie Papazian trick. I loved his idea for "QuarterBock". Basically it was a 5 gallon beer of Doppel Bock where one gallon was pulled aside and diluted with 3 gallons of deaerated and carbonated water (and drank on Saturdays or Sundays during football season -- hence the name). I had forgotten about that until just now. But it is such a great idea.

I just mix it by the glass as I want it.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2021, 09:47:24 am »

I just mix it by the glass as I want it.

Yep. I got that. Just remembering what I read in the book.

I have kept a keg of carbonated water on tap too. Need to do that again.

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2021, 12:16:47 pm »
Fizzy water is a good idea. I can only fit 3 kegs in my keezer right now but a bigger freezer is in my list to pick up this summer. Wouldn't mind having some non beer things on tap.

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2021, 12:34:29 pm »
I recently started adding water to the glass when I discovered my “lite” lager still has too much flavor. And now with the heat of summer, for any style where I want chuggability, I will likely water it down, just a little bit.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2021, 09:18:31 pm »
I used to have a boss who would order a Miller Lite and a water. He'd drink half the beer, fill the glass back up with water and drink through it. His explanation: you get more beer that way.

Maybe that was his way of slowing down his drinking around certain people because he was well known to get tanked regularly.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline neuse

• Brewer
  • New Bern, NC
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2021, 08:37:02 am »
If using plain tap water, would the chlorine/chloramine form chlorphenols in the beer?

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2021, 09:26:08 am »
If using plain tap water, would the chlorine/chloramine form chlorphenols in the beer?

Based on what I know of the process, no it wouldn't.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2021, 03:50:27 pm »
I used to have a boss who would order a Miller Lite and a water. He'd drink half the beer, fill the glass back up with water and drink through it. His explanation: you get more beer that way.

Maybe that was his way of slowing down his drinking around certain people because he was well known to get tanked regularly.
Maybe he was trying to improve the flavor

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2021, 11:43:00 pm »
im sure i will be this old someday.

an adage ive sadly developed myself is that "anything you say 'i wont ever do that', you will"

currently though i try to chase drinks with water or food if anything.