Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Bottling Yeast  (Read 1342 times)

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
Bottling Yeast
« on: July 10, 2021, 01:24:45 pm »
How do y’all prefer to add yeast at bottling. I never have but plan to today as this beer has been casked and aged. Last cask beer did not carbonate well at all.

Add a little to each bottle? Or to the keg before bottling. Used the kegs for dry hopping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Bottling Yeast
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2021, 02:36:33 pm »
How do y’all prefer to add yeast at bottling. I never have but plan to today as this beer has been casked and aged. Last cask beer did not carbonate well at all.

Add a little to each bottle? Or to the keg before bottling. Used the kegs for dry hopping.

i cant remember a time when i did add yeast before bottling, but have im certain and i added ~ a half pack of wine yeast to the carboy and stirred it in. ive never done the bottle by bottle thing for anything, carbing. it seems crazily inefficient to me.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2021, 02:52:51 pm »
I usually use a bottling bucket and add the yeast there along with the priming.  So i gues I prefer to eo it in bulk rather than by the bottle
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline neuse

• Brewer
  • New Bern, NC
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2021, 03:11:30 pm »
I usually use a bottling bucket and add the yeast there along with the priming.  So i gues I prefer to eo it in bulk rather than by the bottle
That's my method, too - it seems simpler. But adding the sugar to each bottle allows you to skip one transfer - could be an advantage in minimizing oxygen.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2021, 03:15:14 pm »
If you already use kegs you are better off using them to bottle the beer than a bottling bucket, then just add the yeast and priming sugar to the keg (and purge then rock or shake to mix). Much less oxidation pick up. Plus pushing with co2 for bottling is super easy. FYI a standard racking cane will fit snuggly inside a picknic tap.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2021, 04:13:52 pm »
If you already use kegs you are better off using them to bottle the beer than a bottling bucket, then just add the yeast and priming sugar to the keg (and purge then rock or shake to mix). Much less oxidation pick up. Plus pushing with co2 for bottling is super easy. FYI a standard racking cane will fit snuggly inside a picknic tap.

Yep
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2021, 10:29:14 am »
I like to add a concentrated fermenting sugar solution to an aged beer before bottling. Milk the Funk describes how to do it.  A delayed fermentation in bottles causes more oxidation (and overcarbonation) then a transfer due to the length of exposure in bottle so a transfer is fine, but I do a transfer to a purged keg usually because my barrel projects are typically group projects at another location.

Offline dls5492

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2021, 11:00:13 am »
That's my method, too - it seems simpler. But adding the sugar to each bottle allows you to skip one transfer - could be an advantage in minimizing oxygen.
I do this, also. It works fine.
David S.
Cedar Falls, IA
Club: Cedar River Association of Zymurgy Enthusiasts (CRAZE)

And the Lord is the Spirit; and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. II Cor. 3:17

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2021, 11:02:18 am »
  I always bottle from the plastic conical, for BBL aged beers I CO2 purge the FV, push the beer from the BBL to the FV with CO2, add the priming, stir well and then purge as best I can the headspace in the FV. I usually prime with spiese, and regardless of whether I'm adding yeast or relying on still active yeast in the beer, I mix either the spiese or sugar with ~ 2 qts of the beer in a starter jug with an airlock to make sure all systems are go before bottling. More often than not I do this the evening before bottling day as it normally takes until the next morning before definite signs of fermentation are evident, but that of course can vary from beer to beer.
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2021, 06:49:32 pm »
I generally add to the bottling bucket as I rack in but I've added dry yeast bottle by bottle with equal success.

IMO the issue isn't any particular way to add yeast but adding enough sugar to ensure you end up with sufficient carbonation. Carbonation calculators assume a volume of dissolved CO2 that isn't in beers aged for a long period of time or aged in porous vessels like barrels. For beers aged more than a year I usually go 1.5-2 oz/gal of priming sugar to get around 3 volumes of CO2 (for sour and brett beers). If kegging equipment is available to you it would be way easier to rack into the keg, force carb and bottle. 
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing