Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What does a carbon filter remove?  (Read 1622 times)

Offline roger

• Assistant Brewer
Re: What does a carbon filter remove?
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2021, 08:55:45 am »
I always hesitated to use those strips due to accuracy concerns. Great tip on using the liquid test kits. A quick search on-line shows them to cost around $15-20. It seems prudent to use those to verify my procedure is working sufficiently.
Roger

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2021, 09:03:50 am »
I guess the strips are better than nothing. That is all I ever used after I saw a water tech guy use them at my brewery to test the water after he installed the filter. They definitely have a limited shelf life though IME that seems to be shorter than their exp date. The ones I bought last year worked at first and then turned off white-yellow and don't read anything now.

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2021, 09:32:27 am »
We used these strips where I worked and I use them at home: https://www.amazon.com/Industrial-Test-Systems-480002-Chlorine/dp/B005BFYOEW/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=480002+SenSafe&qid=1626448789&s=industrial&sr=1-4

They are EPA-approved for compliance monitoring and have a 5-yr shelf life. I have no reason to doubt their efficacy. They only work for chlorine, though, not chloramine.

Re: pool water test kits...these are intended for free chlorine, because that's what's used in pools. Do they test for chloramine? I have no idea. Would be a bummer to get a false negative because the test doesn't work for chloramine.

Offline Bilsch

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2021, 03:14:15 pm »
There are two types of filter media.. GAC (granular activated carbon) and Carbon block. You want the latter for best performance removing chlorine and chloramine especially at higher flow rates.