Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brewer's Clarex in the form of Clarity Ferm from White Labs  (Read 1581 times)

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
Brewer's Clarex in the form of Clarity Ferm from White Labs
« on: August 04, 2021, 05:20:13 pm »
Has anyone used this product?  I just discovered that I am slightly gluten intolerant.  I understand that this product reduces gluten in addition to other proteins that cause chill haze.  It is ridiculously expensive in homebrew form, which is 5 to 1 dilution over the professional concentration.  It costs near $5.00 per 5-gallon batch. However, I can get 1L of concentrated Brewer's Clarex from White Labs for under $70.00 shipped.  The only problem is that the product has shelf life of 2 years when refrigerated.  At 2ml per 5-gallons, 1L is far too much for my needs.  If I can get nine other people to agree to take 100ml each of my hands, I believe that the cost per 100ml shipped would be around $12.00 with a 100ml bottle shipped.  That is 100 / 2 = 50 batches for $12.00, or $0.25 per batch.

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
Re: Brewer's Clarex in the form of Clarity Ferm from White Labs
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2021, 07:09:50 pm »
I believe More Beers "store brand" Cellar science sells this. They have a 1 oz size for $20, which I think should be around 20 doses.

https://www.morebeer.com/products/cellarscience-clearzyme-placeholder.html

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2021, 08:13:31 pm »
I have used Clarity Ferm for years. My wife was diagnosed with celiac disease and I first tried to brew with sorghum and other gluten-free ingredients, but they are hard to get and have distinct (and not always desirable) flavors. With Clarity Ferm I can brew any beer I want and they are all fine for her, although that may not be the case for everyone. I would encourage you to try it and see how it goes. I now use the MoreBeer Clearzyme, purchased in the 1 oz bottle. For $20 I get enough for 30 brews, which is $0.67 per brew and I know I can use most of it in 2 years.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2021, 07:37:51 am »
I've been using the same bottle of Clarex for 3-4 years and the gluten intolerant folks are fine with my beers. I use a little more to compensate for the age. I have not shared my beers with someone who is celiac. At some point maybe I'll try a side by side comparison for clarity purposes.