Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Schwarzbier Water Profile  (Read 1563 times)

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
Schwarzbier Water Profile
« on: October 27, 2021, 09:18:35 am »
When making a dark lager, in this case a schwarzbier, what is the preferred water profile? Starting with RO. I am thinking that a soft water would work fine but I am not certain because of the dark grain additions.

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Schwarzbier Water Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2021, 10:12:17 am »
When making a dark lager, in this case a schwarzbier, what is the preferred water profile? Starting with RO. I am thinking that a soft water would work fine but I am not certain because of the dark grain additions.

I recently brewed a Schwartzbier with my standard filtered city tap water.
It turned out very, very nice.

Here is the profile:

Ca = 39
CaCO3 = 96
Cl = 20
Na = 30
SO4 = 58
Total Hardness = 112

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2021, 10:35:55 am »
I generally target the same mineral profile as I would for a pale lager. You might have different acid requirements based on how you handle your dark grain additions, but I just plug that into my water calculator. I only start thinking about bicarb additions in something like a stout or porter where roasted malt flavor is dominant, and I find that a bit of a higher pH makes for a better flavor in the finished beer.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2021, 10:48:14 am »
You could also consider reserving the dark malt for the vorlauf step for smoothness. With RO water, I usually add a 1/2t each of gypsum and calcium chloride. And if I mash with the dark malts (midnight wheat) I use a little baking soda to make sure the pH is in a good range, maybe 1/4t or so for a 5 gallon batch with 5% midnight wheat. The added sodium will help with roundness and mouthfeel. But it's not necessary if you want to reserve the dark malt for after the mash.
Jesse

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2021, 03:35:20 pm »
Thanks for the input folks! I think I will be matching my soft water profile but raising the mash pH a bit and adding the darker grains down stream sounds good to me.