Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Found Old Grains  (Read 737 times)

Offline Bevel

• 1st Kit
  • Bevel
Found Old Grains
« on: October 23, 2021, 07:53:29 am »
Hi all, doing some cleaning and found some 2 row grains that I must have misplaced at some point. I  had them crushed when I bought them in December 2020 and I stored them in food saver bags with the air pulled out - room temp about 70-75. I have a strong feeling they are either stale or rancid (can they become rancid?). Should I just toss them or do you think there is a chance they might be decent after 10-11 months?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
Re: Found Old Grains
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2021, 08:03:42 am »
Vacuum sealed at that temperature, they might be OK. Milled grain lasts much longer than many think, as long as kept dry and at a low to moderate temperature. Being vacuum sealed can be a big help too. Smell and taste will tell you if it's still good.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline brewthru

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2021, 03:47:31 pm »
Hi all, doing some cleaning and found some 2 row grains that I must have misplaced at some point. I  had them crushed when I bought them in December 2020 and I stored them in food saver bags with the air pulled out - room temp about 70-75. I have a strong feeling they are either stale or rancid (can they become rancid?). Should I just toss them or do you think there is a chance they might be decent after 10-11 months?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stale? Easy to know. Taste some of them. Ever had a cracker that was old? This is the taste.

Rancid? Unsure how these will become rancid in a sealed bag, but once again, taste some of them. You will know by tasting.

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2021, 05:37:00 pm »
 Near as I recall, I've never had anything that is essentially fat free go rancid. AFAIK rancidity [is that a real word?] is a function of fat staling.
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!