Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Perfect Pils - Classic German  (Read 1750 times)

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Perfect Pils - Classic German
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2021, 01:03:16 pm »
IMO, BJCP guidelines only matter for comps

And even then, I have never heard a judge ding anyone when they don’t have access to the vitals on a beer such as Pilsner or Helles.  And as to the OP’s grist - for sure on mixing it up.   I jut brewed a Pils with Best Pils and Proximity Base malt that a friend called my best German Pils.  I’ve done the same on Helles - using Wyermann Barke and Continental 2 row Pale malt - with great results.  A bit more character than one malt gives.  Best of luck with your prospective entry!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2021, 01:32:18 pm »
Thanks! Going to brew this again, but with water adjustments…oh no!
The plan is to enter both in an upcoming competition.

Here is the mash schedule, for those interested:

140-144 30 minute rest.
154-156 30 minute rest.
162        30 minute rest.

Mash out at 170 F.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2021, 02:02:40 pm by TXFlyGuy »

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2021, 08:22:40 am »

As we most often brew to a certain style and category of beer, the BJCP guidelines are very useful in achieving our goal.

I am no longer at a point in my brewing hobby where just "winging it" is an option.

In the end, it is all about flavor. If we hit the correct numbers, odds are we will hit the flavor profile we are seeking.

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2021, 08:54:26 am »
Just to add to this thread on BJCP Guidelines.  I normally try to get close to the suggested ranges when I brew various styles of beer.  However, I made an American Brown Ale that was higher in OG, IBU's and ABV than  the guidelines state.   It tasted really amazing so I entered it in a recent competition.  It won a gold medal with a score of 43 even though it was a bit big for the style.  Aroma, taste, and mouthfeel are what made that beer a winner.  Pushing the style guidelines a bit is not always a bad thing!
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2021, 01:13:40 pm »

Not to mention that most winning beers are brewed to the upper edge of the range!  Anyone who has judged a contest can relate to the fatigue that sets in while judging large flights.  More often than not, the biggest beer with no other technical flaws wins.

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2021, 02:20:43 pm »

Not to mention that most winning beers are brewed to the upper edge of the range!  Anyone who has judged a contest can relate to the fatigue that sets in while judging large flights.  More often than not, the biggest beer with no other technical flaws wins.

That is a sad truth. Equally good, and correct-to-style beers, will be pushed aside for the one that is over the top.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2021, 02:51:16 pm »

That is a sad truth. Equally good, and correct-to-style beers, will be pushed aside for the one that is over the top.

Sometimes, but not always by any means
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2021, 02:55:19 pm »

That is my experience. The beers we medaled with this year were right down the middle of the road. In fact, I did not care for my Munich Helles, but my friend insisted that it be entered. Glad I listened to him!

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2021, 07:03:15 pm »

The problem with most competitions is that they struggle to find enough ranked judges, which results in large flights and fatigue. That is one of the reasons I stopped judging. My tastebuds were often blown out by the end of a flight.

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2021, 08:12:18 am »

The problem with most competitions is that they struggle to find enough ranked judges, which results in large flights and fatigue. That is one of the reasons I stopped judging. My tastebuds were often blown out by the end of a flight.

Last time each of our beers had one BJCP certified judge, and one trained novice. They are already asking for volunteers for next February.

Having a drink of RO water (between tastes) will cleanse the palate, making for a better experience when switching from beer to beer.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2021, 08:20:44 am by TXFlyGuy »

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2021, 02:54:37 pm »
Last time each of our beers had one BJCP certified judge, and one trained novice. They are already asking for volunteers for next February.

Having a drink of RO water (between tastes) will cleanse the palate, making for a better experience when switching from beer to beer.

Trust me, that approach does not work on a flight of 14+ IPAs and DIPAs, nothing works.