Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Bottling day  (Read 995 times)

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
Bottling day
« on: December 11, 2021, 02:05:14 pm »
My brothers wheat beer has all but stopped bubbling and we are thinking of bottling today.  I think the instructions I have are generic as it says to move it so a secondary and let it go another week?  If it isn't bubbling, that means fermentation is complete, right?  Why would I need to move it to another bucket?  Unless I am way off, bottling starts in about 2 hours, so I am going to check back in a bit to see what the pro's say.  Thanks. 

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
Re: Bottling day
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2021, 03:31:46 pm »
No bubbling does NOT indicate fermentation is complete.

That doesn't mean it isn't done either.  If the krausen (sp?) has fallen and the beer is cleared, then it is probably done. 
The only way to actually know is to take a hydrometer reading, wait 2 or three days and take another.  If they are the same the beer is finished. 

Moving it to a secondary vessel is generally not needed.  Way back when I got into this hobby doing a secondary was considered advanced.  Now days we've learned it really doesn't help and just introduces more oxygen causing staling and oxidation to happen sooner.

It's your call on bottling.  I would go a bit lighter on the priming sugar sugar if you do.  I gotten away with it more often than not.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Online fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2021, 04:53:26 pm »
eveything the person above said, and doubly on the amount of priming sugar.

i remember when i began homebrewing the instructions were something like "use 3/4 cup of corn sugar at bottling".

lol, i use as little as 60g of corn sugar at bottling now for 18 litres. temperature also greatly changes the amount of bottling sugar needed. beers that have stayed at cold (under 60F) temps for their entire fermentation and storage have a lot more CO2 saved up than room temp ones.

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2021, 02:05:44 pm »
Thanks for the replies guys.  I checked the FG and it was spot on to what the instructions said, so we went ahead and bottled it.  Put it in the closet to carbonate and will try it in a week or two.  It smelled pretty good, so I am hopeful. 

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2021, 03:27:07 pm »
Just checked my IPA, and the gravity should be at 1.010.  Mine is at 1.008 or so.  I am sure it is not a big deal, so I am going to keg it tomorrow, throw it in the kegerator and run CO2 on it for about a week or so and see where we are.  It is supposed to be a Ranger IPA clone, but who knows.  I am guarded, but I tried it with no carbonation and it wasn't bad.  LOL.  Anyway, this will be my last brew before the first of the year, and I am hoping Santa will bring me a boil kettle big enough to try a BIAB setup.  That is the next step I think for me.  I would, eventually, like to get a all grain setup, but that is a bit farther down the road.  Anyway, thanks to all who read this and had some input.  This is fun so far, and once I get a better idea of what I am doing it will be better.  LOL.  Cheer!!!!  RR

Offline neuse

• Brewer
  • New Bern, NC
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2021, 09:15:02 am »
A word of caution - Be very careful about bottle bombs. If you bottle before fermentation is finished, it will finish in the bottles and possibly result in bottle bombs. I check gravity twice, days apart, to see if it is stable. If not, I wait and check again later. I use a narrow range hydrometer that has hash marks every 0.0005 units and can detect very small changes in gravity.

Online fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2021, 10:50:41 am »
A word of caution - Be very careful about bottle bombs. If you bottle before fermentation is finished, it will finish in the bottles and possibly result in bottle bombs. I check gravity twice, days apart, to see if it is stable. If not, I wait and check again later. I use a narrow range hydrometer that has hash marks every 0.0005 units and can detect very small changes in gravity.

absolutely this. @OP the name "bottle bombs" literally does mean a bomb of glass shards near your face or body. i have never had them, but i had super overcarbonated bottles once due to bottling before fermentation was complete (this was due to premature chilling of the beer and the assumption that it was done).

also cool hydrometre, i find hydrometres have gotten relatively harder to find nowadays for a decent price.

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2021, 12:56:21 pm »
Cool.   Thanks for the info, I will pass it along to my brother.  The bottles have been in my closet for about a week now and no signs of any issues, but I put two in the fridge to try a bit later, so I will keep you posted.  Now, today is keg day for mine.  Gonna keg it and turn the carbonation on about 10 and let it sit for a week or so in my cold kegerator.  According to the instructions it is supposed to be at it's best a few weeks after storage, so I am going to wait a few weeks before trying it.  I have about a half ounce of Apollo hop pellets left, so I am thinking if I don't like it, I might throw those in the keg as well, thoughts?